Chris Payton Decommits from Illinois State

Adunk33

Staff member
https://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31&start=80

RedbirdSoxFan

Not really surprised at all. After observing him sitting behind the bench the last few games (Did not see him at the Bradley game) he did not really seem much into the game. Much of the time he was on his phone, or just not really into the game.

TWENTY YEARS AND COUNTING.
:think: :think: :think: :think:
Jim Les-Bradley
Chris Lowery-Southern Illinois
Marty Simmons-Evansville
Dan Muller-Illinois State

TheTruth

It's a shame Payton won't most likely wind up at Illinois State, but to be honest, that's not really the caliber of athlete this university wants to attract.... if they did they wouldn't be operating like they do. He's the kind of player Illinois State could get, should get but they just want to run the athletic dept so small time that they chase many of these type of recruits (and fans) away. It's a real shame, because it never had to be like this.

Jsnhbe1Birds

When he committed he was ranked about 275 in the nation. Then he became about 175 in the nation and is getting close if not already in the top 100. The big boys are calling. I don't blame him. If a perineal top 25 team or a blue blood come calling he has to go for his future.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Payton goes to every almost every game. Why would he want to go to ISU and their half empty stadium with poor support when he's getting calls from the big boys?

ISU FAN 1

TheTruth said:
It's a shame Payton won't most likely wind up at Illinois State, but to be honest, that's not really the caliber of athlete this university wants to attract.... if they did they wouldn't be operating like they do. He's the kind of player Illinois State could get, should get but they just want to run the athletic dept so small time that they chase many of these type of recruits (and fans) away. It's a real shame, because it never had to be like this.
How specifically did they chase him away? From my perspective, he watched a team on the come last year, that has quickly collapsed with defections, and the trademark Redbird bad luck. The Big 3 will be gone by Payton's freshmen year, if not earlier. Guess he isn't interested in being the man. Or maybe, just doesn't see great opportunity for team success based on what will be left, which I tend to agree with at this point. I feel bad for Muller. At least as bad as I can for someone making a lot of money to coach basketball at his alma mater. And working for an AD that presents no apparent impediment to future employment. But, this program isn't moving in a real positive direction right now. The only outcome I see is continued mediocrity in an increasingly weaker conference. Would love to see Muller move on for the right reason, meaning he takes ISU dancing. But going from 17-1 to bottom feeder in this shit-bag league is pretty sobering.

Hamdonger

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
When he committed he was ranked about 275 in the nation. Then he became about 175 in the nation and is getting close if not already in the top 100. The big boys are calling. I don't blame him. If a perineal top 25 team or a blue blood come calling he has to go for his future.

That's really the story right there.

Hamdonger

Humdinger said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

In the older days, once a kid "committed," even verbally...programs would, for the most part, lay off a kid. Not today. It's recruiting right up to when the ink is on the letter of intent. And shoot, even then...there's somewhat of a crapshoot feel.

Man, been one of those yrs where the funk is around this program, between injuries and academics and sometimes attitude problems. No excuses though because it sure doesn't put fans in the seats.

Birdfriend72

ISU FAN 1 said:
TheTruth said:
How specifically did they chase him away? From my perspective, he watched a team on the come last year, that has quickly collapsed with defections, and the trademark Redbird bad luck. The Big 3 will be gone by Payton's freshmen year, if not earlier. Guess he isn't interested in being the man. Or maybe, just doesn't see great opportunity for team success based on what will be left, which I tend to agree with at this point. I feel bad for Muller. At least as bad as I can for someone making a lot of money to coach basketball at his alma mater. And working for an AD that presents no apparent impediment to future employment. But, this program isn't moving in a real positive direction right now. The only outcome I see is continued mediocrity in an increasingly weaker conference. Would love to see Muller move on for the right reason, meaning he takes ISU dancing. But going from 17-1 to bottom feeder in this shit-bag league is pretty sobering.

This is why you shouldn’t fill your roster with scrubs. We take Hein to secure David’s Scholarship. We take Martin for one year, along with Gassman (3 scholarships). Tinsley is a bust (4 scholarships). We lose three players that are impactful after next season....and let’s be honest...there is no guarantee the two bigs coming in are going to cut it. The recruiting has been below marginal since Dana Ford has left. Hence...that’s why he is a head coach.

DWRedbird

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Payton goes to every almost every game. Why would he want to go to ISU and their half empty stadium with poor support when he's getting calls from the big boys?

I don't even think this has anything to do with us, honestly. I think P5 teams have come along and whispered sweet basketball nothings in his ear, and like any 17 year old basketball player he wants to play for the big teams on TV. I don't blame him, and I'm not mad at him (though admitted I could do without the false sincerity about still considering us), but I don't think it has anything to do with us as a program. I honestly think we could be sitting undefeated right now, and if P5 teams came calling on him he'd do the same thing.

ISU FAN 1

Humdinger said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

It's a win for this program to even get this close at this point. ISU hasn't danced in this kid's lifetime. And basically, basketball irrelevant. Being local is probably about all we had going for us relative to Payton. Gets harder all the time to find a compelling argument for a top recruit to come here.

Birdfriend72

Humdinger said:
Humdinger said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

In the older days, once a kid "committed," even verbally...programs would, for the most part, lay off a kid. Not today. It's recruiting right up to when the ink is on the letter of intent. And shoot, even then...there's somewhat of a crapshoot feel.

Man, been one of those yrs where the funk is around this program, between injuries and academics and sometimes attitude problems. No excuses though because it sure doesn't put fans in the seats.

A few good players are easy to shut down if the rest of the boys can’t score consistently.

Hamdonger

ISU FAN 1 said:
Humdinger said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

It's a win for this program to even get this close at this point. ISU hasn't danced in this kid's lifetime. And basically, basketball irrelevant. Being local is probably about all we had going for us relative to Payton. Gets harder all the time to find a compelling argument for a top recruit to come here.

Don't really disagree with ya.

Hamdonger

Birdfriend72 said:
Humdinger said:
Humdinger said:

A few good players are easy to shut down if the rest of the boys can’t score consistently.

Legitimate point.

Hamdonger

DWRedbird said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

I don't even think this has anything to do with us, honestly. I think P5 teams have come along and whispered sweet basketball nothings in his ear, and like any 17 year old basketball player he wants to play for the big teams on TV. I don't blame him, and I'm not mad at him (though admitted I could do without the false sincerity about still considering us), but I don't think it has anything to do with us as a program. I honestly think we could be sitting undefeated right now, and if P5 teams came calling on him he'd do the same thing.

Yup. But we're not doing much right now, team-wise, to keep the kid. Has anyone seen Chris play in person?

Top Bottom