Northern Iowa At Large Question

Birdfriend72

If Northern Iowa wins out and loses in the MVC Tournament Championship game. They will be 29-4! Is that good enough for an at large?

Trey_Guidry4three

If they would've held on vs West Virginia I would say yes. Not sure how much the committee will value a win against Colorado vs playing in one of the worse conferences in the nation

TBS_20

they even have more room to breath. due to their past success they are a bit more known on the national level than most MVC teams and like it or not that does bear some weight. probably not on purpose but it does. If they go 28-5 they will get an at-large. 29-4 is absolutely no question whatsoever.

jamminjamarsmiley

If they win out, I believe they’ll be an at large. This year it also seems the bubble is going to be much softer in my opinion. However a couple more mvc losses and their will be torn apart leading up to selection Sunday with the isu loss looking really really awful

RedbirdSoxFan

jamminjamarsmiley said:
If they win out, I believe they’ll be an at large. This year it also seems the bubble is going to be much softer in my opinion. However a couple more mvc losses and their will be torn apart leading up to selection Sunday with the isu loss looking really really awful

I think how Illinois State finishes will have a say in Northern Iowa’s fate. How bad does the loss to Illinois State look.

DWRedbird

I think they could afford one more regular season loss, and still get an at-large. I think depending on how Big 6 conference tourneys shook out would determine seed, but I could see them getting a 12 or even being put into the play in for the 11 seed.

Redbird Alum 2004

I think they will. The broadcast last night showed that we have 8 teams in the top 160 net rankings compared to 2 or 3 last year. I know many won't want to hear this but the league has improved and there are many freshmen and sophomores to thank for that.

ricohill

http://bracketmatrix.com/

This is a great site for bubble fans. They are an 11 seed now. If I were them I wouldn't want to lose any more games. An 11 seed is dicey at best. For them losing to ISU again would be end their hopes. I'm sure someone will take that as me taking a shot at ISU, but realistically you can't lose to a sub 200 team twice and expect to make it as a mid-major.

Hamdonger

ricohill said:
http://bracketmatrix.com/

This is a great site for bubble fans. They are an 11 seed now. If I were them I wouldn't want to lose any more games. An 11 seed is dicey at best. For them losing to ISU again would be end their hopes. I'm sure someone will take that as me taking a shot at ISU, but realistically you can't lose to a sub 200 team twice and expect to make it as a mid-major.

Dude anybody with common sense, because there aren't ridiculous insults, knows this is not a shot or would take it as a shot at ISU. I think you're spot on.

Birdfriend72

I think they are deserving as long as they get to the Championship and don’t lose more than 1 more conference game! I would love to watch them knock off another big boy!

MadBird

Birdfriend72 said:
If Northern Iowa wins out and loses in the MVC Tournament Championship game. They will be 29-4! Is that good enough for an at large?

It should be good enough. But then you listen to some of the "experts" talking about 10 Big 10+ teams going, teams with 8 or 9 or 10 losses, and you begin to wonder. Minnesota 12-11, Purdue and Wisconsin 14-10. Michigan 14-9.

Loyl2u

It looks like to me that generally right now, UNI is ranked at the top of the one-bid leagues with a couple of mid-pack power conference schools below them. Those schools names will likely change, but I think any further loss before Valley Tourney championship would mean no at-large. Win out to title game and a close loss would keep them in.

I’m all for making them earn it in St. Louis by beating them Wednesday, just sayin.

bombay

The win @ Colorado was a good one. The Buffs are currently 1st in the PAC with a number of good conference wins - Oregon, Washington, USC, ASU, Stanford etc., plus road wins over Dayton among others.

gobirds85

The big ten, pac 12, and big east will gobble up so many at large bids along with the A 10 going 3-4 deep there just won't be enough seats at the table.

Is UNI good enough? Hell yes! But the team holding the hardware Sunday afternoon in the Lou gets the bid.

Flagship08

Look at Belmont's resume last year for comparison. UNI will get an at-large with 5 losses. They will have their signature win, the best record of the at large contenders and a NET ranking around 40.

ISU86

avoid losing to either Evansville or Illinois State (again) and they can absorb one more conference defeat.

Seven

Trey_Guidry4three said:
If they would've held on vs West Virginia I would say yes. Not sure how much the committee will value a win against Colorado vs playing in one of the worse conferences in the nation

MVC is #11 conference in the country out of 32.

homer-computer-doh.jpg

Seven

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
I think they will. The broadcast last night showed that we have 8 teams in the top 160 net rankings compared to 2 or 3 last year. I know many won't want to hear this but the league has improved and there are many freshmen and sophomores to thank for that.

Two years ago, the MVC was ranked 8th of 32 conferences and sent a team to the Final 4. The same band littered this board with posts that the MVC was equal to the SWAC and was one of the nation's worst conferences. :liar:

Top Bottom