Good to go for 18-19 or need more pieces?

V Boy

I would like every active member on this board to put themselves out there on this and answer this question:

Will we win the league and get to the NCAA Tournament next year with this year’s team??.....or do we need additional pieces to achieve that? And if the answer is we need additional pieces....what are they?

Birdfriend72

No!

1. Need a solid big man. I think the two freshman coming in have upside...but will hard pressed to make a major contribution in year one.

2. Need a PG.

3. Too many low grade players on the roster.

DWRedbird

V Boy said:
I would like every active member on this board to put themselves out there on this and answer this question:

Will we win the league and get to the NCAA Tournament next year with this year’s team??.....or do we need additional pieces to achieve that? And if the answer is we need additional pieces....what are they?

If we have the entire team return plus the new pieces incoming, I'd say we have a good shot at winning the league. We almost won it this year and our team was less than 100%.

If we lose someone and a scholarship becomes available I would add a pg.

Chicagobirdfan

V Boy said:

If everyone comes back and we are healthy + additions of new pieces, especially Copeland, I believe this team is more than good enough to dance. I think EC will take huge strides next year, but only thing i see us needing is a PG that can break down the defense off the dribble and defend.

ISU FAN 1

CaliRdBrd said:
Maybe. Probably no. Point guard

:text-+1:

Will add that it's even tougher to evaluate the impact of changes in other MVC rosters. Only takes an impactful player or two to materially make one of our opponents a lot better. If we keep the Core 4, we'll be competitive, and upper echelon IMO. But someone else will be more likely to have ALL the necessary pieces to derail us. I know the roster is full, but it's far from a sit pat group. Hence, why Muller is still making 2018 offers.

Hard to give a simple answer, particularly because I haven't seen Copeland play a single min of D1 basketball. Also it is hard to know how big of a step EC is going to take. Seems like everyone wants a PG that can get to the rim, that's ECs game,he need to progress in his decisions once he is in the paint. I personally think he is close, but that is just my opinion. If a scholly opens up, a big man that can at least match up with Krutwig and Pippen would be the biggest need I see. Again this is assuming that Copeland is a solid 2. I find this question very intriguing, but also not as cute and dry as some think.

Birdfriend72

Krutwig moved us out of the paint like a semi. We need someone like that! Also someone that can break down the defense and allow our offense to not look so stagnant. We look easy to defense unless the ball is in Yarborough hands. Unfortunately, he being our best option to move the offense through means more turnovers.

chuckie1980

If no defections....#1 seed for the conference and arch madness...REDBIRDS.

Replace the WEAVE with the WAVE (as in WAVING BYE BYE to the other team after a defensive rebound)

A unique PG...or any big guy that can dance circles around Muller.

JHBird

If Malik and EC stay then I'm all in for next year. EC will be much better. I figure Evans is still a decent PG, though he's a much better shooting guard. Rey will be able to contribute on the Def end with his size and rebounding ability. He's in a prep school now, so does that mean he'll be one year older than a normal freshman? If so, that will help some. I'm also wondering if Copeland can play some PG? We all know he's a shooter, but he might be decent there, and the coach says he's really good on the defensive end. If that's true and he can shoot 40% from threeland then he could be our best player next year. So yeah, PG will be a weakness, but we should have enough to get us over the top.

I wish our team could of had a couple more weeks before we had to play in Stl. We finally had our whole team together, they just need a little more time to gel.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
If this year's team includes Copeland and Chastain, then yes I think so. If it doesn't include them then obviously no or we'd be there.

ISU FAN 1

JHBird said:
If Malik and EC stay then I'm all in for next year. EC will be much better. I figure Evans is still a decent PG, though he's a much better shooting guard. Rey will be able to contribute on the Def end with his size and rebounding ability. He's in a prep school now, so does that mean he'll be one year older than a normal freshman? If so, that will help some. I'm also wondering if Copeland can play some PG? We all know he's a shooter, but he might be decent there, and the coach says he's really good on the defensive end. If that's true and he can shoot 40% from threeland then he could be our best player next year. So yeah, PG will be a weakness, but we should have enough to get us over the top.

I wish our team could of had a couple more weeks before we had to play in Stl. We finally had our whole team together, they just need a little more time to gel.

Isn't EC supposed to be the point guard when he's better?

I'm giving the Chief the benefit of the doubt. Why are people saying Dan needs a center, with Rey already signed. Almost as if some on here assume our incoming bigs will just naturally suck. I view Dan having already filled that void until proven otherwise.

Adunk33

Staff member
ISU FAN 1 said:
I'm giving the Chief the benefit of the doubt. Why are people saying Dan needs a center, with Rey already signed. Almost as if some on here assume our incoming bigs will just naturally suck. I view Dan having already filled that void until proven otherwise.

I think bringing in a big man with experience would be nice. It would open up the lane for Phil to work a little bit. Plus having big man depth would absolutely destroy Loyola inside. Did you see their post presence when Krutwig was on the bench? Neither did I.

Plus, I think people are thinking the David experiment is getting old. I know injuries have plagued his development but he can't really catch the ball. You would think that even with a stress fracture in his foot, he could practice catching passes. He's a decent rim protector in a zone but we are playing 4 on 5 one the offensive side.

I'm right there with you, hoping Rey is the real deal. But it wouldn't hurt having two bulky 5's on the roster, and one with experience. Rey will probably not get stronger in the post going against our current 210 pounders.

Phantom

If everyone returns, and the new guys live up to the hype, we should have an excellent shot.

Shaping up to be a good schedule again too so we will also have a chance for some marquee wins, BUT, as we've seen in recent years it probably won't matter. Only way in is through STL and the Sunday game has cursed us worse than even the Hulman Center ever did.

ISU FAN 1

Adunk33 said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

I think bringing in a big man with experience would be nice. It would open up the lane for Phil to work a little bit. Plus having big man depth would absolutely destroy Loyola inside. Did you see their post presence when Krutwig was on the bench? Neither did I.

Plus, I think people are thinking the David experiment is getting old. I know injuries have plagued his development but he can't really catch the ball. You would think that even with a stress fracture in his foot, he could practice catching passes. He's a decent rim protector in a zone but we are playing 4 on 5 one the offensive side.

I'm right there with you, hoping Rey is the real deal. But it wouldn't hurt having two bulky 5's on the roster, and one with experience. Rey will probably not get stronger in the post going against our current 210 pounders.

If a scholarship is available, and they always seem to be, I'm in favor of another true 5. I'm just looking at the roster as full until proven otherwise, so I'm going all in on the Chief!

Hrtnfldhse

A true PG and a true post presence with some beef would put us head and shoulders above other teams. If we don't lose anyone we still should be in the running for #1 seed and a championship game appearance...

SgtHulka

Yes, this team can. Nobody can guarantee they WILL so that question as stated can't be answered.

We can't get additional pieces unless they are free. If more freebies are an option, put me down for 6 more Gassmans. What pieces are we losing? Tell me those and I will tell you what we need to replace them, otherwise that question cannot be answered as stated either.

HT59

We need better guard play. Either improvement from the current roster or a transfer PG. If we get that improvement we should be very competitive.

RedbirdSoxFan

My projection is that next years starting lineup will be: (It will also be the best starting lineup in the MVC)

Keyshawn Evans-Needs to get healthy & stay healthy.
Zach Copeland-Hope he is everything this board says he is.
Milik Yarbrough-PLAY SMARTER
William Tinsley-opposing team will no longer be leaving him open to double down on Milik or Phil. Work on driving to the basket.
Phil Fayne-Hit the weight room. Learn to use your quickness to get the better of Krutwig. Pippen concerns me more than Krutwig.

Bench:

Matt Chastain-Be the 3* player that you were projected to be. Win the MVC 6th Man Award
Elijah Clarance-Stay healthy. I think that if EC returns, he will be a good back-up to Keyshawn.
Rey Idowu-Last I checked Cameron Krutwig & Lucas Williamson were valuable Freshman on the MVC Championship team.
Madison Williams-Needs to work on his shooting. Would be a valuable experienced defensive sub.
David N'Diaye-Needs to improve everything & get stronger
Taylor Bruninga-Get stronger & keep doing what you do. Could benefit from a Redshirt in 2018-19
Demontay Dixon-Like Taylor, Would benefit from a Redshirt year.
Matt Hein-Not to run him off, but would love to see him playing on a team that he could be a starter on his final 2 years.
Isaac Gassman-Love his game. Just get stronger and keep working hard.
Christine Romine-???

Not sure which of these 15 players will be one of 13 on scholarship next season, or will even be here next season. My guess is that the ones who would be candidates for leaving would be:
EC
MW
DN
MH
IG
CR

As for adding more pieces? That depends on how many openings will be available for the 13 scholarships.
I do not see a JC player coming to Illinois State to be a backup PG or backup Center. And I don't see one coming here that is going to send Keyshawn or Phil to the bench to be a backup.
So that being said, I do not see the starting lineup changing. And I don't see the top reserves changing.
I would think that any incoming players to fill openings vacated by players transferring will probably be filled by incoming Freshman recruits or players transferring from another school that will be sitting out their redshirt next season, such as someone like a Mark Smith.

As for Illinois State making the NCAA Tournament in 2018-19, They can get an At-Large bid if they:

Make it to the Cayman Island Classic Championship game,
Go undefeated at home,
Do not lose more than TWO road Valley games (@ Loyola & @ Southern Illinois), which means going 16-2 in the Valley
Do not lose a game to a team with an RPI worse than 150

This is definitely possible. And if Southern and Loyola are better than us, and we do the above things, than the Valley may have 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament 2018-19.

If Illinois State does not win the MVC Tournament or get an At-Large bid in 2018-19, I will predict that Valparaiso will be in the NCAA Tournament before the Redbirds dance again. And that would really suck. Especially since Loyola, the team that replaced Creighton (that many, if not all on this board felt was a bad choice) will be in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Top Bottom