Why not St. Louis as the location of the FCS National Championship game??

ThisIsTheLineup

There usually two feet of snow in St. Louis at the time. It makes travel difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manchester Matt

ThisIsTheLineup said:
There usually two feet of snow in St. Louis at the time. It makes travel difficult.

This will be my third St. Louis winter. We haven’t had two feet of snow combined in the first two.

That being said, there’s no realistic
stadium to play the game in.

ThisIsTheLineup

Santa Cason said:
ThisIsTheLineup said:

This will be my third St. Louis winter. We haven’t had two feet of snow combined in the first two.

That being said, there’s no realistic
stadium to play the game in.

This is my 31st year In the Midwest and very well know that is an anomaly.

Chi-bird

A number of reasons why NOT St. Louis.

That said, I’d love to see it rotate. A few options:

- New Orleans at Tulane’s newer Yulman Stadium would be nice. I would probably go down to New Orleans even when the redbirds weren’t playing in the title game because of the setting.

- FAU or FIU stadium

- UNLV’s stadium

- Somewhere in Southern California

Virginia Redbird

I have never been to Frisco so I can't endorse one way or the other. Having said that...I would like to see the Championship game rotated around some if that is possible. What about some Florida games? California, Arizona or other warm-weather locations. Why does Frisco have a lock on this game? I have never been to Frisco so no first-hand knowledge but the weather does not always seem so great. Why not move the game around every 2-3 years? Probably a financial reason but I really have no idea.

MadBird

Two questions - does Frisco have a perpetual lock, and if not, why not St. Louis?

I've read an article that says NCAA doesn't want to lock into any one site for its championships except for Omaha for DI baseball. They recently ended 25 years in Salem VA for DIII football, and also relocated DII football from Florence, AL after many years. Here's a link to the article about moving from Salem, with the "quote" from an NCAA committee member.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2017/04/ncaa-d3-cuts-stagg-bowl-ties-to-salem

I assume Frisco has some sort of contract for the short run, however long that is, for the FCS game. So, I'd guess it could change sometime in the future.

As for St. Louis, I would say as long as the game is in that early to mid January time frame, something south of St. Louis is probably going to be more favorable with weather, unless you go to a dome. And I think they'd rather match the size of the crowd and the stadium capacity than have even 25-30K in a 60K dome. The Frisco stadium provides a great setting. Altho, the year we played there, if I recall, game time temps were pretty close to freezing.

New Orleans could work. Mobile AL? Not sure of stadiums down that way, Florida panhandle, etc. Memphis is a good city, but not all that far south. Birmingham?

ThisIsTheLineup

- FIU and FAU would be nice, but if Miami builds that MLS stadium downtown that may be the most ideal spot in that area.

- The Tulane Stadium in NOLA would be great.

- A good one that hasn’t been brought up yet is Orlando City’s Stadium or UCF Stadium.

I also do not see anything wrong with Frisco. However, it wouldn’t be bad to see it move around. I’m sure our friends in Fargo are getting bored of Dallas hahaha.

salsa

The NCAA puts out requests for bids for cities to submit. I believe the contract has been awarded in 3-year increments. They don't control who submits. New Orleans, Orlando, and Little Rock may have no interest in hosting game. I'm sure the NCAA could approach them and ask them to bid, but they don't just pick a city and schedule it there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
It's not going anywhere until at least 2021.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-signs-four-year-extension-keep-fcs-title-game-frisco-texas

fourthandshort

Frisco makes more sense than St Louis for any outdoor venue. Both are easy to fly to, so that is a draw. But weather has to be deciding factor, and then venue size. Risk of snow and cold can't ignored.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
Frisco makes more sense than St Louis for any outdoor venue. Both are easy to fly to, so that is a draw. But weather has to be deciding factor, and then venue size. Risk of snow and cold can't ignored.

:text-+1: You would hope that a consideration of location for the game being played would be a bit of a "destination city". St Louis in early January does not sound very attractive....although that Redbird Frisco championship game was really could in 2015.

Adunk33

Staff member
When we played in Frisco, it snowed. It was cold. It was probably an anomaly. I think the Birds should get back before we say they should move its location.

If the Birds make another Natty, most of us are there, regardless of the location.

I would not like to see it moved to an FBS Stadium, because that just pumps up the big boys further, more clearly dividing FBS and FCS. FBS would look at it like "Aw, these FCS teams end of the season goal is to play at our home field." Seems silly. I'm sure there are plenty of other soccer stadiums around the country that would be a good fit. Just please keep it outside. NDSU gets to play 7-8 games in a dome all year, no need to give them that additional advantage.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
When we played in Frisco, it snowed. It was cold. It was probably an anomaly. I think the Birds should get back before we say they should move its location.

If the Birds make another Natty, most of us are there, regardless of the location.

I would not like to see it moved to an FBS Stadium, because that just pumps up the big boys further, more clearly dividing FBS and FCS. FBS would look at it like "Aw, these FCS teams end of the season goal is to play at our home field." Seems silly. I'm sure there are plenty of other soccer stadiums around the country that would be a good fit. Just please keep it outside. NDSU gets to play 7-8 games in a dome all year, no need to give them that additional advantage.

If we settle down at QB, I'm liking our chances in 2019 a lot .. NDSU was just a reality check on our youth ... not quite ready, but getting there. Still like our chances to make playoffs this year, but we are loaded for next year.

As for our 2014 Frisco trip ... i was there and do recall that. I remember thinking how we would finally catch a break having played first 3 rounds in low to mid 30's in all 3 playoff games leading up to Frisco Natty. Then we get to Frisco with 3 week break assuming we'll see 50+ degrees .... and it was frickin 34 degrees again !!!! Packed stadium made it feel a little warmer than that though.

Redbirdwarrior

Are we hating Frisco? I really thought it was pretty cool. Yeah, it only seats about 23,000, but those seats are more or less full (thanks to FCS national title day being written into the Fargo city charter as a day the entire city must travel to the game).

You are going to get a game one of these years without NDSU (I dont think it'll be this year), and you will be hoping for 12,000 tickets to be sold. Putting this game in any larger venue than a 28,000 seats is asking for a LOT of empty seats, potentially.

Chi-bird

I thought the stadium in Frisch was good, but everything else sucked. It was like playing in Elgin, and with fans spread out for 30-40 miles. There was no main area in which to gather the day before the game, after the game, etc. Everything seemed up be a $40 cab ride away, too. I spent two or three times as much on cabs as I did on a flight.

Having a bourbon street, a Beale street, a ballpark village, south beach, etc to go to would be ideal. Instead, the masses were scatter around suburban hotel after hotel.

ISU_DirtyBird

The one issue I did have (besides the cooler weather) was the inability to hear any of the PA system. Could’ve been a result of sitting in the corner of the stadium. I also didnt like how both of our bands were stuck next to one another. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom