Who do you prefer to be the next head coach?

Who would you prefer be the next ISU Head Coach? POLL

• Roger Powell Jr- Gonzaga Asst

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Brandon Brantley- Purdue Asst

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Paul Lusk- Purdue Asst

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Luke Yaklich- UIC HC

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Dean Oliver- Wisconsin Asst

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Steve Prohm- Former Iowa St. & Murray St HC

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Dane Fife- Indiana Asst

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Chris Lowery- Kansas State Asst

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Gregg Marshall- Former Wichita St Coach

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Mark Tuergeon- Former Wichita St & Texas AM HC

Votes: 26 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1.) John Becker - Vermont
2.) Roger Powell Jr. - Gonzaga
3.) Chris Jans - New Mexico State
4.) George Halcovage - Villanova

B

BirdGrad2011

Powell is probably my number 1 with Prohm hot on his heels. Prohm’s track record with guards is insane. Cam Payne, Isaiah Canaan, Tyrese Haliburton, Talen Horton Tucker. Guard league and he develops guards. Have we ever had a coach that could point to the NBA like that?

TBS_20

Who I want

1. Gregg Marshall
2. Kyle Keller
3. Chris Jans
4. A Purdue assistant
5. Roger Powell Jr.

Last edited:

TBS_20

Who I think is the surest thing

1. Chris Jans
2. Gregg Marshall
3. Kyle Keller
4. Purdue assistant
5. Roger Powell Jr.

fdbird83

Prohm would be a hard no for me. I live in Iowa, and saw what Iowa State basketball turned in to under Prohm. They won 2 games last year and zero conference games. He seemed like a good man that couldn't handle a bigger stage.

ISUBird

Mark Tuergeon, Roger Powell, and Steve Prohm were my votes. I aM cautious about Roger Powell for never having been a head coach and Steve Prohm because of how his team collapsed his last year at Iowa State. I am really curious about how that happened.

Last edited:

Birdfriend72

I worry that Chris Jans would get into Reggie Lynch territory with off campus activities while here. Maybe unfair but that would be my worry.
It’s tough. Because do you hire a newbie that is a huge risk considering how much work our program needs? Do you hire a broken but once great coach that needs rehabilitated? Or do you cash out the money and get a safe pick? 2/3 is high risk- high reward.

jamminjamarsmiley

Jans' restructured contract takes effect today (April 14, 2021) and features the same $290,000 base salary as he was paid in the 2020-21 season. His retention bonus, however, increases from $216,000 to $294,000. Another additional piece to the new contract states a sum of $72,500 will be distributed between Jans and the other coaches on his staff. The $72,500 was made available by donors to the NM State men's basketball program.

If I understand this correctly Jan’s is making in the ballpark of 600k? Would imagine to get him ISU would have to offer something significant above that.. 650, 700k? Are those funds in the budget?

DWRedbird

It’s tough. Because do you hire a newbie that is a huge risk considering how much work our program needs? Do you hire a broken but once great coach that needs rehabilitated? Or do you cash out the money and get a safe pick? 2/3 is high risk- high reward.

If he were the only option, maybe. But, I think we can get a coach who is as good or potentially better, for less risk.

Top Bottom