Spoiled - Let's Start Again

Birgs

I love all of the '80s speak from great 'Bird Backers.

Being frustrated by these past 20 years, it blows my mind a second 5+ of Cartmill/Hansell/Gibby/Pierson/Heinekin & Scaeff were backing up Jamar/Trotter/Wright/LeRoy/Rico. Damn, that was a squad, I'm not sold on Pedon. I like the 4 he seems to be brining in. Stallings-esque.

Redbirdfan06

Being frustrated by these past 20 years, it blows my mind a second 5+ of Cartmill/Hansell/Gibby/Pierson/Heinekin & Scaeff were backing up Jamar/Trotter/Wright/LeRoy/Rico. Damn, that was a squad, I'm not sold on Pedon. I like the 4 he seems to be brining in. Stallings-esque.
You could have said all of that without taking a shot at Pedon. But that’s not your agenda.

davehead86

Why were you frustrated in the early 2000's? We had the place rocking and decent teams that got no respect from the NCAA selection committee.
Sure, it would have been great to win a MVC Championship and make the big dance more, but we were going against Creighton and WSU at their height and COMPETING with them. Not sure what else you could realistically ask for.

Bird Friend

There’s this thing called over achieving, that’s on the players.
There is not such a thing as overachieving. If you achieved it, you obviously aren't achieving over what you can achieve. Now, there is such a thing as exceeding expectations.

P

Popsto4

Nope, overachieving is accomplished when there is leader that bring people along to get closer to or reach a goal when if felt or seemed nearly impossible.

Birgs

I loved the Jank/Jepp/Carmichael era and it seemed that was a second wind after Coach Rich (great dude, epic failure).

RA was rocking.

Hell, I had to get upper tank seats for my season tix. I am well on record of being a Dan fan - to a fault, I suppose. Allow me to reiterate there is no anti-Pedon in my Redbird bloodstream.

Just not feeling it so far. Sorry to be a fan with expectations. Would love to be proven wrong.

I can go Pitino with the "they're not walking through the door" in terms of we don't have a KS or Coach Berry, let alone a Mr. Greenspan or Mossman.

There is no shame in appreciating Glory Years and investing they return.

P

Popsto4

I loved the Jank/Jepp/Carmichael era and it seemed that was a second wind after Coach Rich (great dude, epic failure).

RA was rocking.

Hell, I had to get upper tank seats for my season tix. I am well on record of being a Dan fan - to a fault, I suppose. Allow me to reiterate there is no anti-Pedon in my Redbird bloodstream.

Just not feeling it so far. Sorry to be a fan with expectations. Would love to be proven wrong.

I can go Pitino with the "they're not walking through the door" in terms of we don't have a KS or Coach Berry, let alone a Mr. Greenspan or Mossman.

Oh by all means remember the glory years and never forget them. Have expectations without piling on is the key. It’s hard enough trying something for the first time. Rome wasn’t built in one day and so aren’t Collegiate Basketball Programs. I think Pedon is doing well with what he have. It’s a long season and change will come. He’s been on the bench for too long to not recognize change is needed. Culture and work ethic is a priority if his. Give it time, give him time. It’s all good.

Redbirdfan06

RA was rocking.

He’s coached for 15 games. Most people’s expectations are that this is going to take more than 15 games to turn the program around. This isn’t the first post you have taken a shot at Pedon. And why now do you have these expectations of isu basketball. What about the previous 4 years before Pedon was hired?

Last edited:
B

BirdGrad2011

You could have said all of that without taking a shot at Pedon. But that’s not your agenda.
What’s with the Dan love fest to take shots at Pedon. This isn’t a shot at you Redbirdfan just didn’t want to quote OP.

How quickly many of us forget that year 1 under Dan he wasted this collection of talent. Jackie Carmichael, Tyler Brown, Nick Ziesloft, Jon Ekey, Johnny Hill, and Zeke Upshaw. Ziesloft, Ekey, and Hill all went on to play in the B1G. Zeke was a walking bucket after ISU (RIP). He led that to 18-15 (8-10). Dan was only as good as his assistants and after the tragic accident he stopped trying. We go from Dana, Yak, Ward to the drunk Chris Duhon. Take out 2016-17 and Dan was at best mid, but more than likely a failure.

Pedon has done more goodwill around campus and town in ~8 months than Dan did the last 4 years.

Bird Friend

Nope, overachieving is accomplished when there is leader that bring people along to get closer to or reach a goal when if felt or seemed nearly impossible.
Those are expectations, not achievement. Again, if you achieve it, you have achieved what you’re capable of achieving. If you achieved more than others thought you could achieve, then you’ve exceeded expectations. “Over-achievers” are ones who are simply achieving more than others thought they could, not that they’re doing anything of which they’re not capable.

But, if you want to call that “overachieving” go for it.

Redbirdwarrior

Did you guys think coach was going to come in and we were suddenly going to win 20 games? Hell no. A new coaching staff in college basketball, like it or not, is a 3-5 year process of turning a ship most times. You have to re-establish a culture, recruit your players to fit your scheme then develop those players. Takes a good long time.
That said, we knew this would happen when we got rid of Muller. You would give up mediocrity and 6th-8th place finishes and gamble 2-3 years as the potentially worst team in the league in hopes that the development of that new culture could lead to championship level performances.

Again, it is a 36 month process. You are on month 5.

Much like the Bears this year, it is not about immediately winning.

SgtHulka

rock band GIF

TIMMY

Did you guys think coach was going to come in and we were suddenly going to win 20 games? Hell no. A new coaching staff in college basketball, like it or not, is a 3-5 year process of turning a ship most times. You have to re-establish a culture, recruit your players to fit your scheme then develop those players. Takes a good long time.
That said, we knew this would happen when we got rid of Muller. You would give up mediocrity and 6th-8th place finishes and gamble 2-3 years as the potentially worst team in the league in hopes that the development of that new culture could lead to championship level performances.

Absolutely. He's got to have a chance to turn this roster over before anyone can make an informed decision on the future of this program.

jwa123

Why were you frustrated in the early 2000's? We had the place rocking and decent teams that got no respect from the NCAA selection committee.
Sure, it would have been great to win a MVC Championship and make the big dance more, but we were going against Creighton and WSU at their height and COMPETING with them. Not sure what else you could realistically ask for.
You’re right. Unfortunately that way 20 years ago. 😩

Redbird82

I think expecting a big turnaround this year is unfair/unrealistic. But with the portal now it’s not a 5 yr plan if your any good. Look at our opponents tonight, they still stunk last year, and we knocked them out of the MVC tour. But in year 2 they look pretty good. No way it should take 5 years in the current environment.

Tpguy

RA was rocking.

When Jank was coach I think we played Maryland Eastern Shore 8 times in 3 years :mad:

Top Bottom