Parting is such sweet sorrow

Tpguy

In the last couple of days Quinn has deleted a couple of my posts berating Jsnhbe1Birds our annual expert. No dirty words from me, just the usual. I think if Quinn would have just deleted some of his posts where he kept repeating himself so often he would have got the hint and stopped. He didn't need to be banned from the board, just brought under control like Quinn saw fit to do to me.

Free speech is fine (even my insults to Jsnhbe1Birds) but when so many are complaining about one guy taking over every thread, he should be brought under control. ISU FAN 1 was kind enough to become one the group that could give his opinion without the constant repetition and has been a pleasure to read. We all were aware that he knew his basketball, like so many on this board.

It amazes me how many here must have been coaches, etc in their day and are so knowledgeable. I could never claim to know that much about the game, just being a fan was good enough for me. My only experience was being a starter in Junior High basketball. :lol:

This board has been important to me since my poor health and confinement, and to have one person ruin it to the point where I just can't hold my tongue or read it is a real shame. I have always been a supporter of Quinn, but also put the blame on him for not deleting some of this nut's posts.

I'm sure many of you will think this is sour grapes and I can tell you a few years ago I quit the board before, but this is it for me. We shouldn't have to "foe" someone because they are out of control and that's what it is, not for disagreeing with them, but for just being annoyed.

I'm done, if some of my friends on here want to get hold of me, most of you know how. You can also get hold of Gobirds85 or Cpacmel who are always in contact.

My wish is to make one more game in person this year and will do my best to let my friends on this board know when so we can visit at halftime.

Quinn, please delete my account, I don't want to be tempted anymore.

I challenge Quinn to leave this post up for all to read. :)

TIMMY

I think the post counts have something to do with the number of inane posts. I always have with some guys. Weird as hat may seem.
TP you don't really know me. We met once at your perch. But if you want to get to a game you let me know and I will get you there.

Jsnhbe1Birds

i know you blocked me so im sure you cant see this but the difference is I stated my opinon. You kept calling me a name like a junior high school bully yet youre an adult. its fine if you dont agree and its even fine to disike but keep it to youreself. there is no rule with stating your opinion over...and over...and over again. if i annoy anyone so much just block me like tp did.

tp's obsession is a bit weird though just leave me alone man. lol wow. if you truly have me blocked this should take care of itself if you stop posting about me.

ISU85

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
i know you blocked me so im sure you cant see this but the difference is I stated my opinon. You kept calling me a name like a junior high school bully yet youre an adult. its fine if you dont agree and its even fine to disike but keep it to youreself. there is no rule with stating your opinion over...and over...and over again. if i annoy anyone so much just block me like tp did.

tp's obsession is a bit weird though just leave me alone man. lol wow. if you truly have me blocked this should take care of itself if you stop posting about me.

You seem to think every topic, including this one, requires your opinion.

Jsnhbe1Birds

ISU85 said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

You seem to think every topic, including this one, requires your opinion.

which is allowed. if i annoy you that much you can feel free to ignore me

now, tp. i doubt youre going but anyway nobody wants you to go. including me. we can all get along even with different viewpoints.

HT59

Tpguy said:
In the last couple of days Quinn has deleted a couple of my posts berating Jsnhbe1Birds our annual expert. No dirty words from me, just the usual. I think if Quinn would have just deleted some of his posts where he kept repeating himself so often he would have got the hint and stopped. He didn't need to be banned from the board, just brought under control like Quinn saw fit to do to me.

Free speech is fine (even my insults to Jsnhbe1Birds) but when so many are complaining about one guy taking over every thread, he should be brought under control. ISU FAN 1 was kind enough to become one the group that could give his opinion without the constant repetition and has been a pleasure to read. We all were aware that he knew his basketball, like so many on this board.

It amazes me how many here must have been coaches, etc in their day and are so knowledgeable. I could never claim to know that much about the game, just being a fan was good enough for me. My only experience was being a starter in Junior High basketball. :lol:

This board has been important to me since my poor health and confinement, and to have one person ruin it to the point where I just can't hold my tongue or read it is a real shame. I have always been a supporter of Quinn, but also put the blame on him for not deleting some of this nut's posts.

I'm sure many of you will think this is sour grapes and I can tell you a few years ago I quit the board before, but this is it for me. We shouldn't have to "foe" someone because they are out of control and that's what it is, not for disagreeing with them, but for just being annoyed.

I'm done, if some of my friends on here want to get hold of me, most of you know how. You can also get hold of Gobirds85 or Cpacmel who are always in contact.

My wish is to make one more game in person this year and will do my best to let my friends on this board know when so we can visit at halftime.

Quinn, please delete my account, I don't want to be tempted anymore.

I challenge Quinn to leave this post up for all to read. :)
s for me,I have enjoyed your frank dialect.I always thought honest opinions is what this board is about. I do not know you but can say I appreciate your perspective.I really wish you would not let someone upset you enough to leave..

Brick

TP. have always enjoyed your humor. It’s a sad day that a new comer basketball expert is driving you away. I suspect you and I are peers though I don’t know who you are. You are right. Jwhatever just keeps saying stuff over and over and we are to take it as fact, though he rarely provides actual facts nor answers any direct questions. You are also right that there are a lot of faux basketball experts/ coaches on here. That’s ok too. But there ARE some who actually played and coached the game. I have my suspicions who some are. Anyhow I wish you well!

TIMMY

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
ISU85 said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

You seem to think every topic, including this one, requires your opinion.</B>
<B>

which is allowed. if i annoy you that much you can feel free to ignore me

now, tp. i doubt youre going but anyway nobody wants you to go. including me. we can all get along even with different viewpoints.
You are correct. It's allowed. That doesn't make it wise.

MadBird

I have stayed away from the basketball board for awhile because there are too many "experts", "geniuses" posting, who don't understand the difference between facts and opinions (there's a few on the football board too, some of them the same, but not quite as many). The "newcomer" experts come and go, sometimes they stay too long, sometimes they just get the hell out. I wish this latest Pain in the A$$ would just get out. TP, you don't need to leave, just ignore the trolls, don't bother responding, commenting, taking issue, just post your valued thoughts that many of us want to see. Others too - don't let chumps chase us off this board, just pay no attention.

Quinn, I don't envy your job here. Bless you for hanging in. Know that many of us appreciate all you do.

Bird Friend

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should . . . I agree with whomever said it on the shuttle thread, you are tiresome.

I dare you, Jsnhbe1Birds, to stay silent on this thread.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Sure I’ll keep it up. What the hell.

Tp guy I don’t have many rules. Neither did Birdfan and I don’t want to be Bradley fans removing posts because I don’t agree. You can’t name call. It’s really all I ask. We are all above that.

Everyone here wants the same thing. For illinois state athletics to be the best they can. We all don’t agree on how that should be done. But we all have the same passion.

This board has self policed itself for s long time. When we get a new poster (hi Jigga) who wants to make a name for themselves, the community usually is able to show them the light. I try and let that happen. I’m not going to delete posts because they post a lot. If they are flooding then fine. But that isn’t happening.

I’m not going to delete it tp guy. I don’t want you to leave. You’ve been here as long as anyone, don’t let this be the reason you leave.

ISU85

isuquinndog said:

Tp guy I don’t have many rules. Neither did Birdfan and I don’t want to be Bradley fans removing posts because I don’t agree. You can’t name call. It’s really all I ask. We are all above that.

Everyone here wants the same thing. For illinois state athletics to be the best they can. We all don’t agree on how that should be done. But we all have the same passion.

This board has self policed itself for s long time. When we get a new poster (hi Jigga) who wants to make a name for themselves, the community usually is able to show them the light. I try and let that happen. I’m not going to delete posts because they post a lot. If they are flooding then fine. But that isn’t happening.

I’m not going to delete it tp guy. I don’t want you to leave. You’ve been here as long as anyone, don’t let this be the reason you leave.

Thanks for all you do Quinn.

Jigga

isuquinndog said:

LOL... I've been shown the light?
interesting perspective to say the least.

DougSutton

I'm really torn on this topic. First off, I have an incredible amount of respect and appreciation for Quinn who runs this site today and Brian/Birdfan who founded this board in the late 90s when I first joined. I've made a lot of friends on here and have greatly appreciated keeping up to date on our program through here. The work that many of our posters put into this board relating to recruiting, analytics is astonishing and I've witnessed countless acts of incredible Redbird spirit including multiple times that Tpguy bought tickets or meals for ISU Students.

There was a time that this board was a daily part of my life and I was actively involved in the back and forth discussions that take place, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s as "azbirdfan" before changing my screen name to my actual name and through the different versions of the site, I've had my post counts well into the thousands at least a few different times.

As some of you know, I've always been a stand for being respectful of our student athletes and their families who visit this site frequently. I've had the pleasure of being friends with many of our student athletes and people close to the program over the years and I have massive respect for each of them and their families as well as those I haven't had the chance to personally know.

I do not, under any circumstance believe a poster should post anything that they wouldn't say directly to the face of the person they are commenting about if they were sitting in a room privately with them. I know TPguy well enough to know that anything he would have commented on in a post to this disrespectful poster, he would say directly to his or her face after reading their comments they keep making.

At the same time, I can pretty much guarantee that this (and many other) poster that makes negative comments about our coaches and players would never say the things they post to their faces. It's pathetic really and something I have zero respect for and I can imagine that TPguys frustration and what initiates whatever got his posts deleted was that he was triggered by their negativity and decided to call them out on it.

While I understand the rule that Quinn put in place to not have "name calling" from one poster to another on here, where I respectfully disagree is that it feels much more out of line when posters are constantly negative and name calling our coaches and student athletes words like worthless, wastes of scholarships, etc. I would much rather have a poster call me one of those "forbidden words" that Quinn will suspend someone for than to have a poster be allowed to make the comments they do about our players and coaches while hiding behind an imaginary screen name.

I'm a moderator on a few Facebook groups, each with over 4,000 members and we have ground rules and I don't hesitate to remove people from our groups if they are negative or don't respect the tone of the groups that has been established. That isn't a dictatorship philosophy at all.

The analogy I use is that members of an online group or message board are the guests of the moderators and host. Imagine that the moderators are all roommates and they choose to invite people over from time to time and any members are guests in the virtual home of the roommates. If any of you choose to have a party and you have guests that show up that disrupt the energy of the group and are disrespectful loudmouths, it's perfectly expected that you'll either ask them to leave, kick them out and especially not invite them back into your home again.

Again, I respect Quinn's choice, this is his home and he's the only roommate (moderator) to my knowledge on here. There is no right or wrong to this, just a different way of choosing to moderate the group.

That being said, if you were to visit a friend's home for get togethers frequently and noticed that your friend kept allowing a few people to his parties that were being disrespectful and annoying, it's expected you may choose to stop going to your friend's home anymore because you don't care to be around that energy.

That, in essence is how I've grown to feel about this board overtime. It's unfortunate too because most of the members on here are awesome and a I consider a number of them friends. I personally can't stand the toxic energy that some of the posters have on here and it's a shame because I wish I felt more inspired to participate.

I can say that I am someone that can't sit back and watch people be so toxic and negative in how they talk about our student athletes knowing they and their families read this board without getting really pissed off and life is too short for me to get worked up over a disrespectful person hiding behind a screen name that has very little control over their emotions or respect for those they are attacking with their words online.

So I choose to stay away and I know others that have done the same over the years. I'm sorry to see TPguy leave and at the same time, I completely understand.

Hamdonger

Doug - your post resonates and confirms in me what I should have already done. Thanks for your gut-level honesty and Quinndog thanks for the welcoming door!!
:handgestures-salute:

Bird Friend

:text-+1:

Doug, I would tell you that I love you . . . but I can't . . . 'cuz . . . well, you know. :D

RedbirdSoxFan

DougSutton said:
I'm really torn on this topic. First off, I have an incredible amount of respect and appreciation for Quinn who runs this site today and Brian/Birdfan who founded this board in the late 90s when I first joined. I've made a lot of friends on here and have greatly appreciated keeping up to date on our program through here. The work that many of our posters put into this board relating to recruiting, analytics is astonishing and I've witnessed countless acts of incredible Redbird spirit including multiple times that Tpguy bought tickets or meals for ISU Students.

There was a time that this board was a daily part of my life and I was actively involved in the back and forth discussions that take place, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s as "azbirdfan" before changing my screen name to my actual name and through the different versions of the site, I've had my post counts well into the thousands at least a few different times.

As some of you know, I've always been a stand for being respectful of our student athletes and their families who visit this site frequently. I've had the pleasure of being friends with many of our student athletes and people close to the program over the years and I have massive respect for each of them and their families as well as those I haven't had the chance to personally know.

I do not, under any circumstance believe a poster should post anything that they wouldn't say directly to the face of the person they are commenting about if they were sitting in a room privately with them. I know TPguy well enough to know that anything he would have commented on in a post to this disrespectful poster, he would say directly to his or her face after reading their comments they keep making.

At the same time, I can pretty much guarantee that this (and many other) poster that makes negative comments about our coaches and players would never say the things they post to their faces. It's pathetic really and something I have zero respect for and I can imagine that TPguys frustration and what initiates whatever got his posts deleted was that he was triggered by their negativity and decided to call them out on it.

While I understand the rule that Quinn put in place to not have "name calling" from one poster to another on here, where I respectfully disagree is that it feels much more out of line when posters are constantly negative and name calling our coaches and student athletes words like worthless, wastes of scholarships, etc. I would much rather have a poster call me one of those "forbidden words" that Quinn will suspend someone for than to have a poster be allowed to make the comments they do about our players and coaches while hiding behind an imaginary screen name.

I'm a moderator on a few Facebook groups, each with over 4,000 members and we have ground rules and I don't hesitate to remove people from our groups if they are negative or don't respect the tone of the groups that has been established. That isn't a dictatorship philosophy at all.

The analogy I use is that members of an online group or message board are the guests of the moderators and host. Imagine that the moderators are all roommates and they choose to invite people over from time to time and any members are guests in the virtual home of the roommates. If any of you choose to have a party and you have guests that show up that disrupt the energy of the group and are disrespectful loudmouths, it's perfectly expected that you'll either ask them to leave, kick them out and especially not invite them back into your home again.

Again, I respect Quinn's choice, this is his home and he's the only roommate (moderator) to my knowledge on here. There is no right or wrong to this, just a different way of choosing to moderate the group.

That being said, if you were to visit a friend's home for get togethers frequently and noticed that your friend kept allowing a few people to his parties that were being disrespectful and annoying, it's expected you may choose to stop going to your friend's home anymore because you don't care to be around that energy.

That, in essence is how I've grown to feel about this board overtime. It's unfortunate too because most of the members on here are awesome and a I consider a number of them friends. I personally can't stand the toxic energy that some of the posters have on here and it's a shame because I wish I felt more inspired to participate.

I can say that I am someone that can't sit back and watch people be so toxic and negative in how they talk about our student athletes knowing they and their families read this board without getting really pissed off and life is too short for me to get worked up over a disrespectful person hiding behind a screen name that has very little control over their emotions or respect for those they are attacking with their words online.

So I choose to stay away and I know others that have done the same over the years. I'm sorry to see TPguy leave and at the same time, I completely understand.

Great post Doug! I too have been on here since it was B.U.R.P. But over the past years it has become a place for a certain number of posters to just come on here and bitch about everything, and somehow believe in their mind that they know more about basketball, and coaching it, than Coach Muller. Gets old real fast. Soon the only ones on this board will be those handful of idiots.
Don’t know you TP, but would miss seeing your post on here. Hopefully you will get down to a game before the season is over. Maybe get to see the Redbirds live in the NCAA tournament this season.

Retire 12

The problem is, I don't think this individual poster wants the same thing that we all do. That's where the real issue lies. The agenda is real.

Sanantoniobird

I literally hate that Jwhatever’s posts, and it makes me want to follow Doug and TP, however love this program too much and this is unfortunately the leading “analysis” of the Birds on the Internet. (Unless I go to the opposing teams cached radio show, not sure why we can’t get there with this).
I usually don’t come here after a los tho, it’s fkn pitiful here. No objective thoughts, just pointing fingers and sourpuss.

Top Bottom