One Scholarship Filled

Source

Congratulations to former preferred walk-on Issac Gassman who has been upgraded to scholarship player.

1 scholarship remaining.

rdt99

I guess Trace Young is out now. Good for Gassman. I look forward to seeing him play.

DannyCooksey

Congrats to Isaac.

This doesn't happen without hard work on the court and in the classroom. Nice to see Dan reward a kid like this and it sends a great message to the next kid that decides to accept a preferred walk-on spot in the Redbird program.

Congrats to Isaac's parents too. :D

JHBird

rdt99 said:
I guess Trace Young is out now. Good for Gassman. I look forward to seeing him play.

Wasn't sure why we still couldn't get Trace? Is the remaining scholarship targeted for somebody else? Either way I'm glad the Gassman got a ride.

Source

JHBird said:
rdt99 said:

Wasn't sure why we still couldn't get Trace? Is the remaining scholarship targeted for somebody else? Either way I'm glad the Gassman got a ride.

Two sides to this. On one hand Muller has said his plan was to fill one and pocket one for next season with "no seniors." Even if we fill this scholarship, I'm sure we'll still have our typical defects next season. Likely candidates (SPECULATION ONLY) Williams (search for PT), Milik (grad transfer) or Elijah (sit 1, play 3 at Maryland?). Not trying to get too ahead of ourselves, the point is, as every year, we will have more scholarships available than anticipated.

On the other, Young is still available. The thing about Trace, like most of our other recruits, is that his lead recruiter was Yak. I can see Young moving on and Muller pocketing the scholarship and signing a walk-on or two to fill out practice.

MJ_Durk

Source said:
JHBird said:
rdt99 said:

Two sides to this. On one hand Muller has said his plan was to fill one and pocket one for next season with "no seniors." Even if we fill this scholarship, I'm sure we'll still have our typical defects next season. Likely candidates (SPECULATION ONLY) Williams (search for PT), Milik (grad transfer) or Elijah (sit 1, play 3 at Maryland?). Not trying to get too ahead of ourselves, the point is, as every year, we will have more scholarships available than anticipated.

On the other, Young is still available. The thing about Trace, like most of our other recruits, is that his lead recruiter was Yak. I can see Young moving on and Muller pocketing the scholarship and signing a walk-on or two to fill out practice.

Milik said he was tired of transferring and wanted to end his career here

birdsflyhigh

BIG congrats out to Ike! Really looking forward to seeing his sharp shooting over the next four seasons as he dons a Redbird uni.

GO BIRDS! :cool:

CB2K

Congrats to Isaac! Although I am sure he worked hard to be in this position, coach must have saw the talent and skill to reward him a full ride. I am looking forward to what he can offer as a player. He does have a great shot from what we have seen/heard and look forward to seeing it during the season. This team will need some strong outside shooting.

sportenwood

So for those wondering about scholarships and Young and the like, here's my interpretation. Ike got the "one in hand." Next year it goes to Chastain (or whomever Muller chooses) and it's only a one year for Ike (although he certainly may earn longer). The one Muller was planning to offer for this year is still available if Young (or whomever) wants it. The 2018 offers Muller is making will come from the Ike one, or defections, or if Chastain doesn't earn one.

Redbirdwarrior

The kid can shoot. I'm happy he got his ride. Would I rather have a cleanup victory cigar at the end of my bench (ahem, Matt Hein) or would I rather have a guy that, given a situation of need, I can throw out and trust to do the one thing he does best? Hopefully he will be a change of pace guy and be able to come in and hit a few big 3s to drag us back into one of those games we have fallen behind unexpectedly.

If there is one skill I would want a TON of on my team in the modern college game, it is the ability to get the ball and hit a shot from 24+ feet. I don't care if you can't dribble or defend. If you can stand 4 feet outside the arc and hit a shot at a 33% or better clip, I want you on my bench.

Source

He's a good player and the best shooter on the team. Every time Muller is asked about this he says, "we were able to award him one for this year." Essentially, it is Ike's to lose. He has to have a good year because Muller is recruiting like he has 2 open scholarships (not including defects) for next season.

RBFANTOO

From a technical point of view Gassman's jumper is perfect. I hope he gets enough minutes to show everyone what he can do. The potential is definitely there. :text-welcomewave:

V Boy

Source said:
He's a good player and the best shooter on the team. Every time Muller is asked about this he says, "we were able to award him one for this year." Essentially, it is Ike's to lose. He has to have a good year because Muller is recruiting like he has 2 open scholarships (not including defects) for next season.

The question is.....is he the best shooter on the team at full-game speed with another 6-5 guy running at him and jumping into his space? I would guess that person currently is Copeland.

JHBird

sportenwood said:
So for those wondering about scholarships and Young and the like, here's my interpretation. Ike got the "one in hand." Next year it goes to Chastain (or whomever Muller chooses) and it's only a one year for Ike (although he certainly may earn longer). The one Muller was planning to offer for this year is still available if Young (or whomever) wants it. The 2018 offers Muller is making will come from the Ike one, or defections, or if Chastain doesn't earn one.

Kinda forgot about needing one for Matt. If Young does show up we'll be hoping somebody does leaves next year. It would suck if Ike had to lose it. But the probability of nobody leaving the program prematurely is close to zero percent, so everything will work out I'm sure.

CB2K

We need pure shooters but we have never seen Ike in a season scheduled game. Does he have a pure shot like Matt Taphorn, Jeff Harris, etc? Is it a set shot or can he be moving and stop and pop? With a lot of motion offense you need guys to be able to move through screens and stop and pop. BU used to run three screen sets for Hersey Hawkins to get open where he could turn and pop on a dime. ISU runs the traditional pick and roll and motion offense schemes most of the time. I think this team will be able to run and drive more based on what we're hearing about the skill set of the new guys.

Hamdonger

Good for the kid! I just don't see him being a contributor in game-action, though. Prove me wrong, Gas.

Source

V Boy said:
Source said:

The question is.....is he the best shooter on the team at full-game speed with another 6-5 guy running at him and jumping into his space? I would guess that person currently is Copeland.

I can say with confidence that he shoots with at a high rate in their scrimmages. I would estimate 40%. He's likes to run a little Hawkins-like pick and pop, where he sets a quick screen for the scorer at the 3 point line and then opens up for a pass and hits the shot. At the same time, he is a spot up shooter that can sit in the corner and just fire away. He doesn't shoot much when he is being closely guarded (Lofton, Mikyle, etc.) because it still takes some time for him to get his shot off. It has gotten quicker than the Quincy game but could still speed up some.

For reference, his "live game" action as a Redbird vs DII Quincy in last year's exhibition he was 4-9 with 11 points and 3-6 from 3.

Hamdonger

Live action, MVC play. He hasn't been tested in game situations whatsoever. I like the Quincy stat-line, but it's Quincy.

His scholarship very much seems to be on a year-to year deal (yes, I realize all scholarships are on a year-to-year basis), but reading between the lines he's got to prove himself big-time if he wants to stay on scholly. Which means Dan's confidence level isn't necessarily super high.

I'm not knocking the kid, I'm rooting for him! I hope he makes it BIG! But I see him, at most, like a Todd Kagel type contributor.

Hamdonger

The other thing is...can he compete defensively? At the level Dan is establishing? That might be the biggest X factor. Just speculating.

Top Bottom