NCAA tournament thread

Redbird Alum 2004

I can't believe how many teams foul three point shooters.

That Duke Michigan State game was really good.

Amazing how many of these teams were built through the portal.

CB2K

The portal is unbelievably impacting college basketball. The Chattanooga Mocs -- the team that almost took down the Illini -- had 4 main players from the portal. I honestly don't like the wide-open transfer rules and hope they come up with something better to provide some kind of stability and a plausible requirement for the student-athlete to honor a commitment beyond a year; however, I do understand the other side of being "free" to go where you want when you want. This is a tough issue to resolve.

DougSutton

Big 10 goes 0-4 so far today! I was shocked seeing just now that Iowa State only won 2 games last season, brought in their new coach and now has won 2 games in the tournament so far! I'm sure they must have taken advantage of the transfer portal. I'd be shocked if there has been a better turnaround in 1 season than this. There's hope

SgtHulka

Big 10 goes 0-4 so far today! I was shocked seeing just now that Iowa State only won 2 games last season, brought in their new coach and now has won 2 games in the tournament so far! I'm sure they must have taken advantage of the transfer portal. I'd be shocked if there has been a better turnaround in 1 season than this. There's hope
If Purdue doesn't survive, only 11 seed Michigan would be left out of 9

DougSutton

And there were some very close calls in the first round with Chattanooga, Davidson and Colgate giving Illinois, Michigan State and Wisconsin all they could handle with 1 possession games with a minute left and Illinois not leading the entire game until the final 47 seconds.

cubird

Just gave him a little bump! Got to stay out of the screen and roll late in games. Teams blitz the ball handler and steal the ball or run the clock out.

BTbird

B10 was a strong conference this year because of the quantity of good teams. However, I didn't think they had any legitimate top 10 teams. Always thought Purdue was overrated but they might end up proving me wrong.

CB2K

I think Illinois had the most talent of the B10 but they started to sputter toward the end. They weren’t hitting their 3s like they did during the year and turning the ball over and they couldn’t seem to get things going. BU doesn’t seem to get them ready for tournament games. Houston is a real good team but I thought the Illini should have beat them. I wonder if next year the B10 will take a hit because of their performance the last two years.

B

BirdGrad2011

I think Illinois had the most talent of the B10 but they started to sputter toward the end. They weren’t hitting their 3s like they did during the year and turning the ball over and they couldn’t seem to get things going. BU doesn’t seem to get them ready for tournament games. Houston is a real good team but I thought the Illini should have beat them. I wonder if next year the B10 will take a hit because of their performance the last two years.
I think their problem was their best players never got chemistry this year. Frazier played the whole year hurt, Kofi had the suspension, Curbelo had the concussion issues and never fully looked right, then any given role player was sick or hurt. Lots of minutes for a few guys and probably got run down. I’d love to have their disappointing year though.

MadBird

Of course, another option would be to stop launching so damn many threes if they aren't dropping! I never know who to blame for that, the players for not figgering it out, or the coaches who let them keep launching.

I was having a problem watching because it seemed like the Illini didn't have a very good game plan out there - spacing wasn't very good, allowing Houston to double and triple team Kofi; Kofi gets in the low post and stays there (which you'd say sure, he should) but that clogs up the lane and there's no good option to take it to the rack for anyone else. All that's left is jam it into Kofi, which he turned into some decent hoops, or launch a three. Gotta get Kofi moving a little bit, move to the high post and clear out the bottom for some drives. Kofi was 6-11 from the field. Illini were 6-25 from 3 point range. 17 TO's.

I don't think the conference will be penalized, hard to compare one year to another.

Bird Friend

Of course, another option would be to stop launching so damn many threes if they aren't dropping! I never know who to blame for that, the players for not figgering it out, or the coaches who let them keep launching.
Well . . . on this board . . . if you don’t like the coach, you blame the coach . . . if you like the coach, you blame the players . . .

DaveBird10

I was having a problem watching because it seemed like the Illini didn't have a very good game plan out there - spacing wasn't very good, allowing Houston to double and triple team Kofi; Kofi gets in the low post and stays there (which you'd say sure, he should) but that clogs up the lane and there's no good option to take it to the rack for anyone else. All that's left is jam it into Kofi, which he turned into some decent hoops, or launch a three. Gotta get Kofi moving a little bit, move to the high post and clear out the bottom for some drives. Kofi was 6-11 from the field. Illini were 6-25 from 3 point range. 17 TO's.

I think Sampson totally out coached Underwood. Double down off of Curbelo, Hawkins, and Williams. Make them shoot to beat you. Those 3 got benched bc Curbelo 17% and Hawkins 29% from 3 point range, while Williams didn't shoot. Houston clogged the lane bc those 3 can't shoot and Kofi is terrible passing out of the double team.

Guard play, 3 point shooting and defense wins in March.

Bird Friend

I think Sampson totally out coached Underwood. Double down off of Curbelo, Hawkins, and Williams. Make them shoot to beat you. Those 3 got benched bc Curbelo 17% and Hawkins 29% from 3 point range, while Williams didn't shoot. Houston clogged the lane bc those 3 can't shoot and Kofi is terrible passing out of the double team.

Guard play, 3 point shooting and defense wins in March.
You might be giving Kofi too much credit on his passing.

Top Bottom