John Beilein leaving Michigan

BTbird

I would guess not based on lack of head coach experience. It's Michigan.

ricohill

Either way it will be interesting to see how a legit AD views Yak as a head coaching candidate.

gobirds72

ricohill said:
Either way it will be interesting to see how a legit AD views Yak as a head coaching candidate.

That’s what I am curious about! We heard so much the past year about the great D! Let’s see if he is on a short list of Candidates...and if he even gets a courtesy interview!

Hamdonger

It's an ELITE job. That'd be GREAT, but I don't think so. Hope UM proves me wrong.

I'm curious if Beilein has full authority to hire his staff? Any chance he goes with? Will Yak be named interim until new coach arrives? Will new coach offer Yak a spot? Will new coach send him packing?

Here come the dominoes!!

gobirds72

Humdinger said:
It's an ELITE job. That'd be GREAT, but I don't think so. Hope UM proves me wrong.

I'm curious if Beilein has full authority to hire his staff? Any chance he goes with? Will Yak be named interim until new coach arrives? Will new coach offer Yak a spot? Will new coach send him packing?

Here come the dominoes!!

I was wondering the same thing! I wish him the best! Yak is a great guy! Has a cool wife too!

ricohill

gobirds72 said:
ricohill said:

That’s what I am curious about! We heard so much the past year about the great D! Let’s see if he is on a short list of Candidates...and if he even gets a courtesy interview!

The defense thing is great, but there is so much more that goes into being a great Division 1 head coach. Most of it has to do with being able to recruit.

Wouldn't surprise me if Yak goes with him to the Cavs. If you aren't getting the head job, why stick around?

Baltimore Bird

Big time dominoes! Some lower major or upper mid major may be losing their coach, but hoping YAK gets a chance.

ricohill

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1127929477324058624

ChiRedbirdfan

BTbird said:
I would guess not based on lack of head coach experience. It's Michigan.
Chastain much more likely to leave ISU this week than Yak is to get Michigan’s head coaching spot, IMO. YAK has yet to prove (or has the experience) that he knows how to run a major college program that includes hiring and managing coaches, recruiting at the highest level, effectively managing the relations with the university admin, manage relations with alums including the ever important fund raising...etc. In no way am I saying he isn’t capable of doing any of those tasks rather just saying he either has not done them or has had very limited experience. There will be a long line of proven and talented coaches that want that Michigan job.

BTbird

gobirds72 said:
ricohill said:

I think he gets an interview. I can also see Michigan encouraging the new coach to keep him on staff. What if they hire Triple G :)

ChiRedbirdfan

BTbird said:
gobirds72 said:
ricohill said:

I think he gets an interview. I can also see Michigan encouraging the new coach to keep him on staff. What if they hire Triple G :)

Funny possibility....they hire triple ggg and it is likely yak is hunting for new employment would be my best guess

cpacmel

Humdinger said:
Will Yak be named interim until new coach arrives?

I think interim will be Saddi Washington. He was interim before when Beilein had his heath issues. Also when Beilein got ejected this year at halftime of a game, it was Washington that took over not Yak.

PurpleRedbird

I bet Yak is retained unless ggg is the hire. I don't see him getting the job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hamdonger

ricohill said:
If you aren't getting the head job, why stick around?

Because if you love where you're at and your family is planted and they love it too and you're damn good at teaching your particular craft ans the new coach offers...why not?

Not saying that will happen or such is the case. Just a reminder that this, quite often, is a brutal business and there we are in the stands waving our big foam #1 fingers . Would imagine Beilein struggled with knowing he would more than likely cause 4 families (if the same '19 staff was at UM, I'm not sure) to be uprooted.

TIMMY

So the guy's 66, making 3.8 per and living in Ann Arbor. His deal there takes him to 22-23. They love him there. He's already had double bypass surgery. So he chucks that to move to Cleveland and take over that shit show with about a 14% (Zion) chance of getting to average in the 5 years of his contract. I don't get people.

ricohill

Humdinger said:
ricohill said:
If you aren't getting the head job, why stick around?

Because if you love where you're at and your family is planted and they love it too and you're damn good at teaching your particular craft ans the new coach offers...why not?

Not saying that will happen or such is the case. Just a reminder that this, quite often, is a brutal business and there we are in the stands waving our big foam #1 fingers . Would imagine Beilein struggled with knowing he would more than likely cause 4 families (if the same '19 staff was at UM, I'm not sure) to be uprooted.

Well, it is a brutal business If he doesn't go with Beilein and doesn't get the Head Coaching job he could very easily become unemployed. There is no guarantee the new head coach would keep him around.

ricohill

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/candidates-michigan-john-beilein-head-coach/l5rhswte6x3c1l9lu2xt30rme

cpacmel

ricohill said:
Well, it is a brutal business If he doesn't go with Beilein and doesn't get the Head Coaching job he could very easily become unemployed. There is no guarantee the new head coach would keep him around.

Umm no. If he doesn’t go to the Cavs or doesn’t stay with Michigan he isn’t going to be unemployed. There are assistant jobs open all across the country, even a few in the Big Ten currently.