@ Belmont 11/10/18

Phantom

Great early road test for our guys.

Even with two exhibitions, there was still plenty of rust to shake off as we saw vs. FGCU. We'll have to tighten it up even more on Saturday. Looking for FT shooting to improve and to hit the glass even harder. The good thing is our points can come from just about anywhere, and hopefully there's a little more game flow to work with than there was in the opener. Winnable game here, and big if we can get it.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I'm wondering if a couple more game like the first one if Jefferson doesn't get the starting job over keyshawn

Adunk33

Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I'm wondering if a couple more game like the first one if Jefferson doesn't get the starting job over keyshawn

No

Retire 12

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Probably the craziest thing you've ever said on this website.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I didn't think Keyshawn looked great in any game yet and Jefferson has looked good in 2.

RedbirdSoxFan

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Key missed about four weeks of practice, he’s just working to get back into game shape. As long as he’s healthy (and everyone else) JJ looks like the best sixth man in the Valley.

birdlife

i think this will be a very close game. hopefully the fact that we have a few games under our belt will help down the stretch.

Adunk33

Staff member
We have played three games, it doesn't appear Belmont even played an exhibition. The Birds won't have film on them for the third time this year. Hopefully that we did play a few games already helps. We still don't seem to have cohesion, with the exception of the two extra passes made against FGCU. Man that was pretty to find Jefferson in the corner. The Birds haven't won a first away game since @UAB 3 or 4 seasons ago. The last few years we've had some pretty poor starts on the road. Hopefully we come ready to play.

Keys to the game:
Feed Phil - He needs to be the center of the offense. He will get points from the FT line when the clock isn't moving, which could be crucial for this game. If he scores 20, we win

Put the Key in the ignition - Key needs to get going. I know he missed a few weeks with the injury but he needs to see some shots start falling and I think he will. He'll have at least 12.

Moving on UP! - Jefferson needs to do exactly what he did against FGCU. He picked his spots and made really smart plays. He doesn't need 17 every game but needs to make the other team know that is what he is capable of, which will open the offense even more.

Boogie Down (low) - Like Key, Tinsley just needs to see his shot fall. When a shooter is in a slump it sometimes helps to get them the ball in different ways. Draw up some cutting plays or oops for Boogie to help build confidence.

Tpguy

What are the chances Jefferson starts in place of Phil?

Redbird Alum 2004

I love that Jefferson can provide instant offense off the bench. Key will be fine as he shakes off the rust. If we won this game then it will be a huge confidence boost for the guys. I think milik has a big game and shuts down Windler. Belmont is going to jack a ton of threes and make their fair share of them. Prolly won't see a lot of zone from birds Saturday. Should be a fun game to watch.

Metamoron

Just looked at Belmont’s roster.
2 seniors
2 juniors
2 sophomores
9 freshman

If they haven’t had any exhibitions or games, that has to be in our favor big time.

Redbirdmike

I have relocated to Nashville and have tickets for my family to go to the Belmont game Saturday night and root like hell for the Birds. Will be good to get an “in person” look at our squad. Belmont is a VERY tough team and it will be a difficult road contest. It does not appear that we are getting much chance to win from several media outlets. I would like to see those predictions trumped. ESPN Matchup Predictor has Belmont with a 62.5% chance of winning this game and Bustingbrackets.com doesn’t even list us a formidable non-conference foe for Belmont in their season preview. Translation: no respect YET. This is the type of good non-conf win we need to point to late in the season. Let’s Prove them wrong.

DannyCooksey

Redbirdmike said:
I have relocated to Nashville and have tickets for my family to go to the Belmont game Saturday night and root like hell for the Birds. Will be good to get an “in person” look at our squad. Belmont is a VERY tough team and it will be a difficult road contest. It does not appear that we are getting much chance to win from several media outlets. I would like to see those predictions trumped. ESPN Matchup Predictor has Belmont with a 62.5% chance of winning this game and Bustingbrackets.com doesn’t even list us a formidable non-conference foe for Belmont in their season preview. Translation: no respect YET. This is the type of good non-conf win we need to point to late in the season. Let’s Prove them wrong.

Agreed. This is a great opportunity to beat a quality opponent on the road.

Enjoy the game Mike and represent well!!! :clap:

Redbird28

DannyCooksey said:
Redbirdmike said:

Agreed. This is a great opportunity to beat a quality opponent on the road.

Enjoy the game Mike and represent well!!! :clap:

The players know this too. It was the first thing out of a couple of their mouths after the FGCU game when they re-emerged from the locker room the other night. Needless to say, they are taking this opportunity seriously.

TheTruth

Yes, Belmont is a fine program but if we want to be a program of any kind of relevance we have to beat OVC teams.

Top Bottom