Assistant coach?

gobirds85

Has anyone heard anything about any possible candidates? Right now it seems like we trying to recruit with one arm tied behind our back. Anything?

BTbird

Sometimes the process takes awhile. No reason why DM and the other assistants wouldn't be actively recruiting right now.

Bird Friend

BTbird said:
Sometimes the process takes awhile. No reason why DM and the other assistants wouldn't be actively recruiting right now.

https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/1121937879813455872

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1121921988019273729

ChiRedbirdfan

Bird Friend said:
BTbird said:

https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/1121937879813455872

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1121921988019273729

Muller and or staff obviously down in Atlanta at Nike EYBL session 1. UA (under armour) usually runs their league in the same town as the EYBL sessions so that coaches can check out their players too. I watched the MeansStreets vs Mac Irvin EYBL game tonight and that is one of the biggest rivals in the U.S. and there is no love lost between the programs. Great game as final was 80 - 79. You can watch some of the EYBL games live and you will often recognize many college coaches sitting court side. A majority of the espn top 100 recruits plus a slew of other talented players are in the league. Often EYBL teams have not 1 but several bigs on their roster that are in the 6’9 to 7’0” range (see Mokan roster). “Local” teams are MeansStreats, Mac Irvin and Brad Beal Elite (formerly St Louis Eagles) and there are usually a few central Illinois players on the roster. Click on any team’s name and their roster will appear. Games start tomorrow as early as 9:30 am and you will see players from the 2020/21 classes. I wish we knew who as on ISU’s radar as it would be a great chance to see them play on the big stage. Look up the UA association as they may stream games too...Illinois wolves is a UA TEAM .
https://www.d1circuit.com/page/show/4907868?subseason=599727&tab=content

Adunk33

Staff member
Mullins and Penny Collins joined the staff in August, Duhon was added in mid-June, and Reese was the end of May. As long as there is a new assistant in place by the end of June we should be fine. The new assistant won’t be involved in the 2019 recruiting class, so just getting them in before practices/workouts start for the Italy trip is what is important.

ChiRedbirdfan

Adunk33 said:
Mullins and Penny Collins joined the staff in August, Duhon was added in mid-June, and Reese was the end of May. As long as there is a new assistant in place by the end of June we should be fine. The new assistant won’t be involved in the 2019 recruiting class, so just getting them in before practices/workouts start for the Italy trip is what is important.

Yes we will be fine but it would be a bonus if someone was named an assistant coach soon and they came with some player relationships that could immediately benefit the 2019 recruiting. The biggest asset an assistant coach brings to the team is their ability to recruit, IMO But in the end you gotta get the right person no doubt

Buffett

The longer you wait the more it gets picked over. Get em soon.., start em recruiting.

B

BirdGrad2011

I would imagine you’d want them in before summer workouts at a minimum. Get familiar as much as possible before going out recruiting too.

Sanantoniobird

Adunk33 said:

How can I find out more about this Italy trip? I’d like to possibly hop on over and catch them in-person if I could.

gobirds85

Sanantoniobird said:
Adunk33 said:

How can I find out more about this Italy trip? I’d like to possibly hop on over and catch them in-person if I could.

You can either contact ISU but your best bet is to reach out to TP and see if he plans on driving over. As an ex-player, he can fill the trip with numerous stories about his days of carrying Doug Collins' lazy backside up and down the court. And he makes some great sandwiches. They look and taste like Gondolas but he swears he made them.

Reggie Redbird

Adunk33 said:

Yes, Mullins and Collins were hired in August 2017, but that's because we lost Yaklich at the very end of July.

https://mgoblog.com/content/report-michigan-hire-luke-yaklich-assistant

I want the best hire for this position. As we've learned, coaches will leave for better offers at any time. We did the same to SEMO with their VB coach very late in the game.

A key for this hire will be someone who is good at player development - improving the guys already on the roster - or someone bringing a solid but uncommitted recruit/transfer we can use one of our open scholarships on.

Metamoron

Shouldn’t we be able to get someone who is a young assistant from Michigan?

That’s the card I would be playing.

ChiRedbirdfan

Metamoron said:
Shouldn’t we be able to get someone who is a young assistant from Michigan?

That’s the card I would be playing.

play what "card"... Michigan bought the ISU assistants.

topiarydan

Hey Osiris - finish the season in Turkey and come start your new career back at ISU