Zenger out at Kansas

Honestly shoulda been canned after hiring Charlie Weis. Horrible hire, Beaty hasn’t been good either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BirdGrad2011

He did wonders for ISU. It’s a shame kansas didn’t work out.

TheTruth

It was really just a matter of time. He's a nice guy, but he spent a lot more time talking about what he was going to accomplish, than accomplishing it. That ends up catching up to you (sadly, except when you're AD at Illinois State).

Jsnhbe1Birds

Illinois State will not ever achieve greatness until the name Lyons is gone from every level of the athletic department.

bb fan

I liked Sheahon. I think he did some good things here. I do agree at times he was more talk and flash than substance and getting things done. I would not go as far as saying that is some sort of a free ticket at ISU. I think Mssrs Weisenburger and Friedman might beg to differ.

Metamoron

I have posted this before but will again.

I always liked him but always thought he was a lot of talk and a little execution.

My last conversation with him was after we had hired Jank We were feeling pretty good about our basketball program. He was laughing at the status of another program in the valley who had hired a new coach at about the same time and how bad they were. He specifically said how bad a shape they must be in to take Chris Jans as an assistant.

Buffett

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Illinois State will not ever achieve greatness until the name Lyons is gone from every level of the athletic department.

:text-+1:

bb fan

How do you define "greatness", Jsnhbe1? Really, not trying to put you on the spot, or make a challenge in any way. Just curious as to your definition (anybody else is certainly free to offer theirs).

And, what is it that Lyons should have done or still do differently to get to that "greatness".

ThisIsTheLineup

Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Well considering the ONLY Lyons left is Larry....

bb fan said:
How do you define "greatness", Jsnhbe1? Really, not trying to put you on the spot, or make a challenge in any way. Just curious as to your definition (anybody else is certainly free to offer theirs).

And, what is it that Lyons should have done or still do differently to get to that "greatness".

Leave the Valley and play D1 football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb fan

One has been gone for awhile, with another heading out to join that Lyons soon.

ThisIsTheLineup

bb fan said:

I thought Matt already left. There were social media posts saying that he was leaving. My bad if I am wrong on that.

Total Red

Staff member
TheTruth said:
It was really just a matter of time. He's a nice guy, but he spent a lot more time talking about what he was going to accomplish, than accomplishing it.

As usual you are leaving out an important component. Yes Sheahon Zenger talked about the potential here at Illinois State being similar to Kansas State complete with FBS football. Even though he laid out a great vision it barley moved the needle. Most fans/donors feel the Athletic Dept. should be thrilled if they decide to buy season tickets and shouldn't expect much more. What's an AD supposed to do at that point? Pull the money out of his ass?

SgtHulka

Total Red said:
TheTruth said:
It was really just a matter of time. He's a nice guy, but he spent a lot more time talking about what he was going to accomplish, than accomplishing it.
What's an AD supposed to do at that point? Pull the money out of his ass?

Any AD worth his salt would, yes

ChiRedbirdfan

Total Red said:
TheTruth said:

As usual you are leaving out an important component. Yes Sheahon Zenger talked about the potential here at Illinois State being similar to Kansas State complete with FBS football. Even though he laid out a great vision it barley moved the needle. Most fans/donors feel the Athletic Dept. should be thrilled if they decide to buy season tickets and shouldn't expect much more. What's an AD supposed to do at that point? Pull the money out of his ass?

:text-+1: ISU athletic Department donations are possible THE WORST in the nation when comparing to other Div 1 universities and when factoring in size of enrollment and university profile. I backed off my criticism of the Athletic Department after comparing donations. Thankfully ISU academics props up the athletic department by mandating athletic department fees be charged to every student as part of attending ISU as there is little the athletic department can do when fans do not materially support the athletics.

ISU FAN 1

Total Red said:
TheTruth said:

A lot of hypercritical know it alls on here that never achieved anywhere near the level of success Zenger has in his life. They could all do it better. Just the lack of qualifications to get the job are getting in the way.

Buffett

ThisIsTheLineup said:
bb fan said:

I thought Matt already left. There were social media posts saying that he was leaving. My bad if I am wrong on that.

He is trying to leave.

Top Bottom