Will our Interim AD fire Spack?

Will our Interim AD fire Spack?

• Yes : cuz she has nothing to lose

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Yes : Cuz she reads this board

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Unsure : I’m not an interim AD

• No : Spack has been too good for ISU to let him go with only 1 year left on his contract

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • No : Cuz she reads this board

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bird Friend

Just thought maybe we could get an idea whether folks on here think Beggs would/could pull the trigger?

normalbird

She has made it known that she would like to stay in the job for a few years to get some things done. My uneducated guess is that both interims get named permanents, and that Paul Kabbes becomes the successor-in-waiting.

I agree that, unless 2024 is a deep playoff year, it will be Spack’s last, one way or another.

I’d be fine with all that.

TBS_20

The whole he's been good overall so we must keep him 1 more season is such small minded thinking.

topiarydan

When you look at our piss poor historical football tradition (more losses than wins) and our lack of real commitment to football by the alumni base, I think we're lucky to have a guy like Spack in the toughest FCS division. I think Spack gets a one year extension and then goes out in 2 years on his own terms

fourthandshort

The whole he's been good overall so we must keep him 1 more season is such small minded thinking.
Ok, let's talk small minded .. I believe you admitted, you would rather swing and miss 3 times than stay with Spack.

That is not how you run any organization. If you were our AD, thay would get you fired for being small minded.

And using your logic, 95% of FCS programs should be firing their HC every 3 years. That is no way to run any sports program or organization.

That said, notion of him playing out his contract and us moving on is making more sense.

fourthandshort

When you look at our piss poor historical football tradition (more losses than wins) and our lack of real commitment to football by the alumni base, I think we're lucky to have a guy like Spack in the toughest FCS division. I think Spack gets a one year extension and then goes out in 2 years on his own terms
Love the post, though not sure about extension. It would hurt recruiting unless they did it asap. In any case, whatever we do whenever .. were going to take a big recruiting and portal hit. And then have to hit the portal hard.

But let's finish season .. playoff chances are slim and none. Got to win out and then hope for lot of help ... no matter how much it would piss off tbs.

fourthandshort

Ok, let's talk small minded .. I believe you admitted, you would rather swing and miss 3 times than stay with Spack.

That is not how you run any organization. If you were our AD, thay would get you fired for being small minded.

And using your logic, 95% of FCS programs should be firing their HC every 3 years. That is no way to run any sports program or organization.

That said, notion of him playing out his contract and us moving on is making more sense.
Or put another way .. if you were the AD and the president called you into their office to ask you how do we get the football team to next level ? And you said fire Spack. And then he said, how sure are you that you can find a better coach. And you said, you're not sure. But you're willing to "swing and miss" 3 times to find the right guy.

You know what he would say ... he'd say, ok thanks for you honesty. It sounds like I need to fire you first.

Redbird

The idea that we shouldn’t fire Spack because we don’t know if we can get someone better is the reason we will stay mediocre. I let go of my season basketball tickets because I was tired of the losing. My football tickets are next.

CaliRdBrd

The idea that we shouldn’t fire Spack because we don’t know if we can get someone better is the reason we will stay mediocre. I let go of my season basketball tickets because I was tired of the losing. My football tickets are next.
This!

fourthandshort

So you would fire our best coach ever mid season or after the season with just 1 year left on his contract ? And have to do a buyout ? While we also need to hire our permanent AD.

Or how about if they decide to make a change, why not let it run out for 1 year, so we can take our time with the coach search and not have to do it so secretly and deal with all the rumors and how much it would further kill recruiting.

While some continually act on impulse, the people on charge will approach with more tactful and thoughtful strategy.

He is our best football coach ever and he's been here 14 years. Ought to do this right ... and not out of vindictiveness. Spack is well respected .. it would look and be bad for ISU football.

TBS_20

So you would fire our best coach ever mid season or after the season with just 1 year left on his contract ? And have to do a buyout ? While we also need to hire our permanent AD.

Or how about if they decide to make a change, why not let it run out for 1 year, so we can take our time with the coach search and not have to do it so secretly and deal with all the rumors and how much it would further kill recruiting.

While some continually act on impulse, the people on charge will approach with more tactful and thoughtful strategy.

He is our best football coach ever and he's been here 14 years. Ought to do this right ... and not out of vindictiveness. Spack is well respected .. it would look and be bad for ISU football.
Being afraid to swing isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure, you may strike out but at least you tried.

cubird

Can't we let him enjoy at least 1 year practicing in the long awaited Bubble?

Hamdonger

Brock is a GOOD man. 6 games under .500 in our last 8 conference seasons. Not 2, 3 or 4...eight. I'm ready for a change and to see what's out there, although I recognize it won't happen this year. In my mind there's no doubt Brock could make a 7 figure payday as a DC for a Power. Question is...does he even want to at this point?

Last edited:

fourthandshort

Being afraid to swing isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure, you may strike out but at least you tried.
I have no fear of taking a swing. We're/I'm talking about being smart about this and being respectful towards our best football ever.

I've already acknowledged both this and last year, his time may be coming to an end. But arguing for being smart and respectful in how we do this.

If we miss playoffs this year, we will be hard pressed to offer a new contract or extension after 2024, unless it comes together next year. I can see defense likely returning to previous Spack levels. But hard to imagine the offense being this strong next year without Annexstad. Though this year may amount to a great auditon for our next QB transfer.

And we'll find out how much OC Peterson impacted our offense or not once Zack is gone. But this is the first time since Matt Brown that a QB was much better in Year 2 than Year 1. Many things usually contribute to things like this .. we'll find out next fall how much OC Peterson has to do with it. But we should be able to attract a decent QB given our offensive production thus season ... that and another TE if needed.

ChiRedbirdfan

what....out of vindictiveness? i believe we have a classic case of Atychiphobia

Top Bottom