vs Northern Kentucky - 12/6/23 - 7 pm - ESPN+

Phantom

Another tough test. Tourney team last year and off to a good start this season. We need to keep building off the last two games and hopefully avoid prolonged cold streaks. No unforced turnovers, hit the glass hard and attack their defense. Let the DBs run wild if they're feeling it again. Hopefully Pence can take another step. Would like to see Lieb get going a bit more.

Find a way to get it done. Stay hot on this homestretch. Just f'ing win.

ISU86

Probably the best home non-conference match-up of the season. Northern Kentucky is a program that I feel would be a good fit for the Missouri Valley, if/when there is ever another need.

This will be hard fought, Would like to see Banks not drive deep into the lane without being able to either get a shot or pass out (seem to recall a 'bird a season or two back who had the same issue) and Lieb to finish stronger at the rim.

It would be a fun one to attend in-person.

Norse 68
Redbirds 71

SgtHulka

Probably the best home non-conference match-up of the season. Northern Kentucky is a program that I feel would be a good fit for the Missouri Valley, if/when there is ever another need.

This will be hard fought, Would like to see Banks not drive deep into the lane without being able to either get a shot or pass out (seem to recall a 'bird a season or two back who had the same issue) and Lieb to finish stronger at the rim.

It would be a fun one to attend in-person.

Norse 68
Redbirds 71
Seneca Knight

Adunk33

Staff member
Students get in free. This should be the case every game to build the fan base back up.

This is getting attention from other MVC fans on socials saying that it’s absurd that students aren’t always free. I agree. It’s a ridiculous perception that students have to pay to get into games. Why not just make it a part of tuition with that $100/year or whatever Red Alert costs be automatically added? When students are already paying 10k a year, $100 is nothing. Do not make it harder for students to attend games when they ready aren’t.

Also, this game was a part of the Black Friday $5 lower bowl ticket deal. On Sunday, fans that purchased those tickets got a seat in the south “student section.” What happens if students actually show up Wednesday because it’s “free” and they fill the north end…where do they go? There’s a lot that seemingly was not thought out here…

Bird Friend

This is getting attention from other MVC fans on socials saying that it’s absurd that students aren’t always free. I agree. It’s a ridiculous perception that students have to pay to get into games. Why not just make it a part of tuition with that $100/year or whatever Red Alert costs be automatically added? When students are already paying 10k a year, $100 is nothing. Do not make it harder for students to attend games when they ready aren’t.

Also, this game was a part of the Black Friday $5 lower bowl ticket deal. On Sunday, fans that purchased those tickets got a seat in the south “student section.” What happens if students actually show up Wednesday because it’s “free” and they fill the north end…where do they go? There’s a lot that seemingly was not thought out here…
And Student fees pay for a good portion of the athletic budget . . .

Redbird28

Why did this change? When I attended, it was a 35$ add on to the tuition bill in order to get a pass that got you into every athletic event.

SgtHulka

The students will migrate into the upper bowl and fill in holes. Happens yearly whenever the student attendance exceeds end zone capacity for special games.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Why did this change? When I attended, it was a 35$ add on to the tuition bill in order to get a pass that got you into every athletic event.
I don't know the reason but I assume parents/students complained about it being added on without them having a choice.

It should actually be free. No mandatory add on, no $100 charge. Just make it free. They are empty seats anyway, it doesn't cost the AD anything to let students in. And they might buy beer if they are of age.

Phantom

I don't know the reason but I assume parents/students complained about it being added on without them having a choice.

It should actually be free. No mandatory add on, no $100 charge. Just make it free. They are empty seats anyway, it doesn't cost the AD anything to let students in. And they might buy beer if they are of age.
This.

Although if they tacked on an extra $50-100 per year in the tuition for an All-Sport/Red Alert pass, most wouldn't bat an eye...unless like you said they were worried about people having a choice to pay it or not. Hidden fees happen in every major purchase. At least with this one, it's real easy to get your money's worth out of it.

On a similar note for the AD letting students in for free since there would be empty seats anyway, why not do a similar gameday promotion like, all remaining upper bowl seats $2 on weekday games or something? (unless they already do this?) It's like concert tix...they are ball$ buying ahead of time but people do because of FOMO and wanting specific seats, when if you wait within 24-48 hours of a show, you can get the tix for a fraction of what they were during the onsale. It's not like demand for our hoops is sky high right now, so why not shovel tix out the door to faculty, staff, local businesses, etc for free or next to nothing the day of/day before games? Couldn't do this every game, but worth it once in awhile maybe. Whatever you comp on face value you can usually make up for in concessions, merch, and most importantly, they have a good time and come back the next game with friends.

Anyway, back to the Norse. Big game. Need to get this one.

DaveBird10

I was told that the North end is the only student section this year. The South end is open for things like the December deal and so on. If more students show up then they go up to the upper bowl in the North end.

SlackBooDom

Granted the competition hasn't been the upper-tier of teams, but NKU is outstanding at forcing turnovers. The way we've looked, if the ball is moving and we are creating for others and taking care of possessions I like our chances. NKU has beaten LIU, TXA&M Corpus Christi, Robert Morris, and IUPUI. If we are going to make a move into the upper half of the MVC, this is a home game we just have to win. Period. NKU is at the bottom of the country in 3PA, plus 3P%. Marques Warrick uses a third of their possessions but is only listed at 6'2. Luke/Kendall/DB rotate and make him have a long night and we win. 73-65 ISU.

stielowp

Granted the competition hasn't been the upper-tier of teams, but NKU is outstanding at forcing turnovers. The way we've looked, if the ball is moving and we are creating for others and taking care of possessions I like our chances. NKU has beaten LIU, TXA&M Corpus Christi, Robert Morris, and IUPUI. If we are going to make a move into the upper half of the MVC, this is a home game we just have to win. Period. NKU is at the bottom of the country in 3PA, plus 3P%. Marques Warrick uses a third of their possessions but is only listed at 6'2. Luke/Kendall/DB rotate and make him have a long night and we win. 73-65 ISU.
NKU is not in the MVC. Win or Lose it has ZERO affect on our chances to move into the upper half of the MVC. That being said, I always want to win! Realistically speaking only Arch Madness matters and winning regular season MVC games helps our chances of winning Arch Madness. Other Non-conference games like this are only opportunities to improve and learn more about ourselves. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pedon expand the rotation again to give some opportunities for guys to prove themselves.

Adunk33

Staff member
NKU is not in the MVC. Win or Lose it has ZERO affect on our chances to move into the upper half of the MVC. That being said, I always want to win! Realistically speaking only Arch Madness matters and winning regular season MVC games helps our chances of winning Arch Madness. Other Non-conference games like this are only opportunities to improve and learn more about ourselves. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pedon expand the rotation again to give some opportunities for guys to prove themselves.
I cannot express enough that he should not do this. His experimental rotations were the cause of putting the team behind in the High Point game as well as most others they've lost or had to come back from double digit deficits. The reality is that almost every team in the country runs with an 8 or 9 rotation. Last game against Murray, he stuck with it and the Birds were in the drivers seat for a majority of the game. Let the 8 or 9 guys get used to playing with each other in game before extending the bench. We've seen all year that it's hard for the guys to get in a flow if they are getting subbed out or guys are getting subbed in that have had limited run. Let the top 9 get comfortable with each other and learning to play together. That's where you'll start seeing growth.

Dmills

I cannot express enough that he should not do this. His experimental rotations were the cause of putting the team behind in the High Point game as well as most others they've lost or had to come back from double digit deficits. The reality is that almost every team in the country runs with an 8 or 9 rotation. Last game against Murray, he stuck with it and the Birds were in the drivers seat for a majority of the game. Let the 8 or 9 guys get used to playing with each other in game before extending the bench. We've seen all year that it's hard for the guys to get in a flow if they are getting subbed out or guys are getting subbed in that have had limited run. Let the top 9 get comfortable with each other and learning to play together. That's where you'll start seeing growth.
If coach wants to build culture here, he needs to do everything in his power to continue the momentum from the last 6 days. He knows that winning will bring people back. I'm optimistic he will play the match ups to win and will do as you suggested.

P

Popsto4

I agree but only somewhat. There are
i see it the same way. Honestly proving yourself starts in practice. This all go back to kids buying into their roles. Not being in the rotation doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be ready when your number is called because of injury or foul trouble. 8/9 kids really do need to gel to have a strong team. Conference play have started and now there’s a break from it. Going back into it the rotations should be set in stone.

Top Bottom