Turf Updates

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/988812251095359488

Redbirdwarrior

Ugh. I didn't think of the thousands and thousands of pounds of those rubber pellets that had to be cleaned up. This looks like a pain in the ass.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/988812251095359488

is it just me .. or does the pellet equipment look like something that is already pouring new pellets ???

Adunk33

Staff member
I could see why you might see it that way. To me, it looks like the bobcat on the left side is almost vacuuming or sweeping the pellets and getting rid of them in that line you seen in the middle of the image. Look at the turf behind that bobcat versus the turf in front of it. Maybe it is like sweeping, it is easier to sweep up a pile than a bunch of individual things.

This picture really illustrates how poor of condition the turf is in.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
I could see why you might see it that way. To me, it looks like the bobcat on the left side is almost vacuuming or sweeping the pellets and getting rid of them in that line you seen in the middle of the image. Look at the turf behind that bobcat versus the turf in front of it. Maybe it is like sweeping, it is easier to sweep up a pile than a bunch of individual things.

This picture really illustrates how poor of condition the turf is in.

I guess I'm more of a dump truck is half full of new pellets kind of guy .. while you're more of a half empty filled with old pellets guy.

Putting aside you are probably right ... I like deluding myself into seeing the upside of things.

Hamdonger

fourthandshort said:
I guess I'm more of a dump truck is half full of new pellets kind of guy .. while you're more of a half empty filled with old pellets guy.

HaHA!! I think I read that in Proverbs...

Chi-bird

Prefer natural grass.....although expensive and likely not coming back for a long time. I hope the turf plays as safe as it can and we are not cutting corners in terms of making health and safety a priority. Along those lines, I wonder if they still use those little black rubber pellets when installing turf.

Adunk33

Staff member
I'm thinking back to comparable changes in the surfaces Redbird sports have played on. The most noticeable being the court at Redbird. They didn't over do it, they simply added some splashes of color and made it a little different. I don't expect anything earth shattering, probably red enzones and The Valley logo

fourthandshort

Humdinger said:
fourthandshort said:

HaHA!! I think I read that in Proverbs...
you have so much to learn from my wisdom .... :ugeek:

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
I'm thinking back to comparable changes in the surfaces Redbird sports have played on. The most noticeable being the court at Redbird. They didn't over do it, they simply added some splashes of color and made it a little different. I don't expect anything earth shattering, probably red enzones and The Valley logo

agreed .. and i'm with you and stlrb ... red end zones (with white lettering) would be a very nice change. The stark contrast will be very appealing. Hoping the red dye has improved to point it does not get on white uniforms.

As for improvements in turf systems .. I've seen a couple other stadiums that just put in new turf. It will be far better than what we had. Same basic idea, but the materials and even the engineering have been fine-tuned and improved over time. I'm assuming they will do this right .. they are agonizingly slow but then very sure when it comes to spending/investing money. So I am confident it will not only look a lot better, but the players are going to love the new feel and traction way better than what they had before.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:

agreed .. and i'm with you and stlrb ... red end zones (with white lettering) would be a very nice change. The stark contrast will be very appealing. Hoping the red dye has improved to point it does not get on white uniforms.

As for improvements in turf systems .. I've seen a couple other stadiums that just put in new turf. It will be far better than what we had. Same basic idea, but the materials and even the engineering have been fine-tuned and improved over time. I'm assuming they will do this right .. they are agonizingly slow but then very sure when it comes to spending/investing money. So I am confident it will not only look a lot better, but the players are going to love the new feel and traction way better than what they had before.
I don't have a creative bone in my body, but I understand that there are people that do. Many programs are recognizable just by a glance at their field. It is branding for the cost of some paint and marketing know how.

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/AustinDuncan33/status/989886453294477317

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
https://twitter.com/AustinDuncan33/status/989886453294477317

hate to be the negative Ned here, but this is very discouraging to see and I am appalled !!. Based on this pic, its pretty clear the Redbird logo is staying as is .. hell, they're not even changing the turf there. So it is official .. there will be no Flipping The Bird at Hancock with this turf project.

Wormer, he's a dead man! Lyons ... dead ! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer .... dead !!

Screw it all .. cancel the season, return everyone's tickets. I'm so done with this program !!!

:mrgreen:

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/989900485690822657

Virginia Redbird

Chi-bird said:
Prefer natural grass.....although expensive and likely not coming back for a long time. I hope the turf plays as safe as it can and we are not cutting corners in terms of making health and safety a priority. Along those lines, I wonder if they still use those little black rubber pellets when installing turf.

Real grass is a thing that belongs to history now. Lets just hope they don't do anything stupid like the blue turf at Boise State, red carpet at Eastern Washington, purple and grey turf at Central Arkansas or the ungodly ugly grey (parking lot) turf at Eastern Michigan!
Red endzones, maybe the MVC logo at places, Reggie in the middle (who cares which way Reggie faces anyway) or some other accent touches but leave the field green.
Personally, I am old school and miss the real grass stains on white uniforms and mucky muddy games in the rain...those days are gone forever!
:D

Virginia Redbird

Chi-bird said:

Real grass is a thing that belongs to history now. Lets just hope they don't do anything stupid like the blue turf at Boise State, red carpet at Eastern Washington, purple and grey turf at Central Arkansas or the ungodly ugly grey (parking lot) turf at Eastern Michigan!
Red endzones, maybe the MVC logo at places, Reggie in the middle (who cares which way Reggie faces anyway) or some other accent touches but leave the field green.
Personally, I am old school and miss the real grass stains on white uniforms and mucky muddy games in the rain...those days are gone forever!
:D

chuckie1980

I think I would appreciate green, too.

Note this off-white color being exposed....UGLY and hard to distinguish things.

saxman210

chuckie1980 said:
I think I would appreciate green, too.

Note this off-white color being exposed....UGLY and hard to distinguish things.

Yeah...that’s the rock base under the field...

Top Bottom