Tonight

Brick

Pretty much what I expected with two all conference players out. Idowu played pretty well. Fayne was Fayne! Jefferson gave us a nice lift. Copeland finally settled down. Would really like to know when Key and Malik will get to play

cpacmel

27/55 fg (49.1%)

10/27 trey (37%)

16/24 FT (66.7%)

Fayne 20 pts (6-10fg, 8-12 Fts) 12 boards 3 assists

J.J. 15 pts (6-11fg, 3-7 trey)

Copeland 11 pts (4-11fg, 3-7 trey, 0-2 ft) 4 assists 4 turnovers 2 steals

Tinsley 8 pts 7 boards
Rey 8 points (4-5 fg, 0-2 Fts) 8 boards 4 turnovers

Chastain 7 pts 3 boards

Hein 6 pts 6 assists 3 turnovers 2 steals

Gassman 5 points 5 boards

KingO

I didn’t see what happened but Hein was icing his ankle. Rey came down hard on his hip, but appeared ok. And Chastain scared me with him coming out holding his knee, but also appeared ok.
Over all about what I expected. Rey seems further along than I thought. Copeland needs to work on handling the ball a bit to play point, but his passing was great. Jefferson plays great defense, reminds me of the in the face play of Paris. Fayne is Fayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird222

I thought Jefferson was a nice surprise. He is quick and I think he has a nice jump shot. He seemed in control on both ends of the floor.

Copeland can pass but was pressing at times.

Phil's free throws are better. There was actually arc. He started 1 for 4 bit started hitting them.
There was a softer touch. This could be huge. Rey looks like another free throw project which may limit his playing time at the end of games

Team rebounding will have to be a point of emphasis.

As expected some good some bad but overall i would be optimistic. Nothing profound here but rebounding and turnovers will dictate how far we go.

SgtHulka

cpacmel said:
27/55 fg (49.1%)

10/27 trey (37%)

16/24 FT (66.7%)

Fayne 20 pts (6-10fg, 8-12 Fts) 12 boards 3 assists

J.J. 15 pts (6-11fg, 3-7 trey)

Copeland 11 pts (4-11fg, 3-7 trey, 0-2 ft) 4 assists 4 turnovers 2 steals

Tinsley 8 pts 7 boards
Rey 8 points (4-5 fg, 0-2 Fts) 8 boards 4 turnovers

Chastain 7 pts 3 boards

Hein 6 pts 6 assists 3 turnovers 2 steals

Gassman 5 points 5 boards

Talk about spreading the love

SgtHulka

Bird Gang said:
Why the heck weren’t the lights on in the upper bowl?

According to my sources they are in midstream of a replacement project that should be very nice once complete

SgtHulka

KingO said:
I didn’t see what happened but Hein was icing his ankle. Rey came down hard on his hip, but appeared ok. And Chastain scared me with him coming out holding his knee, but also appeared ok.
Over all about what I expected. Rey seems further along than I thought. Copeland needs to work on handling the ball a bit to play point, but his passing was great. Jefferson plays great defense, reminds me of the in the face play of Paris. Fayne is Fayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rey hurt his left wrist on the fall not his hip. Was impressed with his composure for the most part as a freshman. Nice catch down low on the move in traffic he took up for the jam. He doesn't have great leaping ability but is strong and balanced

Need to get Jefferson the ball. Kids a shooter.And can slash.

Nice job by Chastain. Didn't try to do too much.

Copeland was pushing too much but showed potential. 2 fantastic assists in the first half.

Hamdonger

SgtHulka said:
Bird Gang said:

According to my sources they are in midstream of a replacement project that should be very nice once complete

They'll get a quick roi on that deal, too. Should buy us an Adidas contact, a nice player, and a FBI referral.

For real on the roi, though. :idea:

redbirdron1

Enjoyable watch for the most part. JJ is a shooter - I've been told he's a sniper and his stats from
past years indicate he's just a scorer. Hard nosed D too.

Copeland will settle in I'm sure. Not exactly a PG but his handles R decent I guess as R JJ's. We need
Key and MY for some better ball handling. Watching Copeland closely in warm-ups I'm not sure he's a pure
shooter but with his size he'll make things happen.

Chastain - thought he'd rebound more but maybe that's not his deal. Meaning, I'd heard he's pretty hard nosed
and didn't see that. Just glad he's got his health. We'll need Tinsdale on the floor for rebounding.

Rey looked pretty decent. We sure don't need the chest beating routine after the impressive dunk - that will get him in Dan's doghouse
along with a Technical.

Hein - nasty sprain. Same Hein as in the past. He's a worker and tries his best. Hein has no reason to dribble in traffic - odds R quite
high it ends up as a T.O. My buddy last night says, "Hein only turns the ball over when it's in his hands."

Gass was steady.

Overall, once everyone is healthy I see a team that can penetrate and dish. Can we hit the open jumper with all the penetration??? And,
can we win the rebound battle? As someone already said, silly TO's will hurt and I've never been impressed with Dan's team on ball control.
These guys can be very good as we expect.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Jefferson - Scorer. second best player on the floors last night

Fayne - Might be getting better at free throws. Rebounding decent but shouldn't be getting pushed around by D2 teams. Needs to be a bit more assertive. Still best player on the floor last night so I'm just being picky.

Copeland - had a decent game but was trying to show too much which held him back. He's going to be good'

Hein - has gotten better. Should never dribble into the lane though. Watching Hein the last two seasons I realize Hein is at his best when he catches the ball in transition from the side of the arc to the free throw line and shoots one from about 16 feet. He makes those at a high rate.

Tinsley - looking like 2nd half Tinsley!!!

Idowu - Started out like he was clueless but settled in nice. That body! Going to be a beast in a couple years. I hope he doesn't graduate in three years and transfers because he has the potential to be better than Fayne.

Gassman - not going to get much playing time over the other players because it's a deep team but it was clear he has progressed.

Chastain - I'll withhold judgement for the time being. Didn't look impressive to me at all. Then again he hasn't played a game in two years. He also might have been told not to go too hard on it.

Evans - his passion showed through last night even though he didn't play. He was the teams biggest cheerleader. He was up half the game looking like a coach just on the opposite end of the bench -- well, middle.

Bruninga - I'd be surprised if he was back before mid-January.

Payton - Not in attendance (neither was anyone else though) -- at least not at his usual perch behind the bench.

Other things - I don't know if Dan had the team try something else in the second half defensively but the fouling was MUCH better in the second half. The first half of the game looked like last year overall and made me wonder if they would even get third place in the MVC. The second half gives me hope for the NCAA tournament. I hope the lighting will be back soon. The concessions have gone up in price. And, the selection of songs played by the band was notably more recent and not 15 year retreads.

JHBird

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Anyone else notice Rey walking gingerly through the line like something was hurting?

I thought he looked a little gimpy at times too...

JJ can really shoot. First game didn't bother him at all. Looked completely poised. I saw him shooting before the game and he was nailing most of them. Can he also play point? It seems like a good spot for him cause he looked really quick. Seems like he could be a better point than Copeland.

ricohill

Bird Gang said:

I actually like it with the lights off in the upper bowl. It was like that over at Robertson Fieldhouse and used to be that way at the Civic Center.

Overall, I thought it was a good first exhibition.

Fayne was what he always is, steady and consistent. Did like to see his improvement from the FT line. Never going to be great from there, but I will take 8-12.

Think Copeland is going to be a big scorer, just has to do it without the 4 turnovers and I think that will clean up when they run more of their offense.

Jefferson was a good surprise, played hard on the defensive end and shot it well.

I have a feeling we will be playing a lot of zone and Dan mentioned that earlier when I saw him give a speech about the season. The man to man wasn't very good and when we went to zone they struggled.

If Benson is correct will have Milik and Evans back on Saturday. Glad to have basketball season back!

SgtHulka

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I don't know if Dan had the team try something else in the second half defensively but the fouling was MUCH better in the second half.

Zone

SgtHulka

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/fayne-redbirds-frazzle-lewis-in-exhibition/article_0ed08101-eb9c-5320-8fa5-031f792fa282.html
The Pantagraph said:
Muller said Yarbrough will play Saturday in a noon exhibition against Division III Augustana “unless something crazy happens” and is hopeful Evans will play some minutes.

bb fan

It's brand new LED lighting that will be completed in the next few weeks. Energy efficient, and they will come up immediately after starting lineups.

SgtHulka

bb fan said:
It's brand new LED lighting that will be completed in the next few weeks. Energy efficient, and they will come up immediately after starting lineups.

may even be able to change colors

Top Bottom