TEAMS IN BOWLS THAT WOULDNT BEATMOST MVC TEAMS

crazzymark

Power teams Georgia State, FIU(florida international), Florida Atlantic , Western Kentucky (not as good as they once were) North Carolina A&T, Grambling, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, UAB(dropped football just 2 years ago), Central Michigan , Ohio U, Appalachian State,Toledo, North Texas (former Texas State) are all playing/played in a bowl, made/making money, was/will be on national tv and national press . The only team from Illinois that made/making money from a postseason game will be NIU playing in the Quick Lane bowl (Ford Field) on Dec 26. MVFBC could be sending 6 teams to bowls every year. $$$$$ and football could pay for basketball and keep the coaches!!

Reggie Redbird

crazzymark said:
Power teams Georgia State, FIU(florida international), Florida Atlantic , Western Kentucky (not as good as they once were) North Carolina A&T, Grambling, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, UAB(dropped football just 2 years ago), Central Michigan , Ohio U, Appalachian State,Toledo, North Texas (former Texas State) are all playing/played in a bowl, made/making money, was/will be on national tv and national press . The only team from Illinois that made/making money from a postseason game will be NIU playing in the Quick Lane bowl (Ford Field) on Dec 26. MVFBC could be sending 6 teams to bowls every year. $$$$$ and football could pay for basketball and keep the coaches!!

A few points to mention:

1.) North Carolina A&T and Grambling are FCS teams. The "bowl" they play in is different.
2.) You do realize most, if not all, of those schools lose money on their bowls?
3.) North Texas was once known as North Texas State University and North Texas State College amongst other names. However, Texas State University (Texas State) is actually a different school and was originally known as Southwest Texas State Normal School.

ISUBU

North Texas was in the Valley for a time before the Birds.

Don't forget Northwestern. They play Kentucky in the Music City Bowl. Not sure if they make money or not, but of course they get the Big 10 bowl share that WILL make money.

NU shows how crappy the bowl system works. Despite being better than both Michigan and Michigan State this year, they dropped to a lower bowl because they have a small enrollment (8000 undergrads) and alumni base. The bowls aren't interested in the best teams. They're interested in who can make THEM the most money. The Music City Bowl is forthright, admitting they exist to bring in visitors to Nashville on one of the slowest tourism weeks of the year.

bb fan

Every one of those bowls are pay to play. They COST the teams participating.

TIMMY

bb fan said:

Hey BB good to see you back. We've been down this road a few times! The payout for NIU on the Quick Lane toilet bowl is $600,000. They can bus to Detroit. I don't see them losing money on it.

bb fan

Thanks, Timmy.

I was told NIU has to buy 15k tix @$25. Might sell 2 or 3k. There goes half the "guarantee". Travel for team and staff will drain more. Even though they are close. The MAC will have to subsidize all bowl teams again somewhat from the ESPN $$$.

OK, maybe they won't lose any $$$.

TheTruth

Those lower tier bowls are money losers (much like 1-AA playoff games).

Chi-bird

People are missing the point of the cost vs the actual gain. When Budweiser spends 1 million dollars on a super bowl ad...the value of the money spent i's not measured by how much beer is sold the next day. It's more about an ongoing branding/advertising expense that promotes long-term sales as well.

When universities "spend" money on sports, sure there are some ways to measure direct incoming revenue, but there also are uncategorized or mis-categorized revenue gains, as well as numerous immeasurable gains.

TheTruth

RedbirdSoxFan said:
Do they still have 1-AA playoffs?

Yes....just because Illinois State doesn't make it, the playoff games still get played. They're still irrelevant to most of the country, but they still get played.

ChiRedbirdfan

bb fan said:
Bb what was the payout in 2016 for each and every Mac team for football/bowl revenue sharing ? ..... And the per team payout is determined after each bowl participating team deducts expenses related to attendng the bowl and also does not count the value of publicity as well as the value of being associated with being in the big league vs being associated with being in the little league..

McHalesNavy

TheTruth said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:

Yes....just because Illinois State doesn't make it, the playoff games still get played. They're still irrelevant to most of the country, but they still get played.

You missed the point of the post. 1-AA is no longer, it's now FCS...

Redbird28

Chi-bird said:
People are missing the point of the cost vs the actual gain. When Budweiser spends 1 million dollars on a super bowl ad...the value of the money spent i's not measured by how much beer is sold the next day. It's more about an ongoing branding/advertising expense that promotes long-term sales as well.

When universities "spend" money on sports, sure there are some ways to measure direct incoming revenue, but there also are uncategorized or mis-categorized revenue gains, as well as numerous immeasurable gains.

This, plus the actual teams that make it get an additional month of practices that provide benefit to the younger teams / younger players. All those that don't make the cut are just done, and all that additional practice time is lost.

fourthandshort

Redbird28 said:
Chi-bird said:

This, plus the actual teams that make it get an additional month of practices that provide benefit to the younger teams / younger players. All those that don't make the cut are just done, and all that additional practice time is lost.

this and this ..

not to mention basic simple human reality .. who doesn't want to win ? who doesn't do what they have to do to survive, even if just for one more game ? Who doesn't want to be part of a winning culture ? Only 1 team gets to win it all, so what is wrong with wanting to do best you can, even if it means falling short ... like 99% do every year.

People who dismiss or bash being last team invited to playoff because they don't like 24 team format .. make no sense to me, or they probably never competed in sports. You play to win. You play to advance. Whether you are an NDSU or JMU .. or a 6-5 ISU in 2016 .. you do what you have to do to survive and play another day. It's normal, it's healthy.

Then add to that the benefit of players buying in, even if your program is just moderately successful. Then there is what it does to help attract future recruits or as is case for ISU this offseason .. future coaches. All of this is positive for the program in ways that make program better. Then more fans and more donors, more excitement, and so on.

Now does it get watered down at some point, like the bottom third of FBS bowl games .. sure, but so what. To me, 24 team FCS format is perfect, especially considering there are too many auto bids, that result in top 20 teams being left out of playoffs for a 5-6 Lehigh. So I see nothing wrong with current FCS 24 team format.

It's basic human instincts .. compete to survive another day .. and it's all good to me.

bb fan

Knowing several NIU admins over the years, and someone who worked for the MAC for a time, the goal is to have MAC teams participating in bowl games is to BREAK EVEN, and not lose money. Sometimes they are able to get this done, sometimes not. The only bowl game NIU made money on was the Orange Bowl.

And this notion of the value of the branding is interesting to me. I worked in advertising all of my professional life, and put two kids through ISU selling branding. So someone, please tell me, how has all this FBS bowl branding helped Northern Illinois University? I don't know the numbers for this year, but last year, the attendance for ISU and NIU football games was nearly the same. And please, take a look at the big picture. NIU's enrollment is tanking. Way down over the last 5 years. The school's brand is a horrible mess. Their other sports are mediocre at best. Basketball barely drew 1000 fans a game last year.

So someone please tell me, how has FBS helped NIU?

dpdoughbird06

Also Buffalo and Western Michigan were bowl-eligible but left standing when the music stopped. Then it was revealed that NCAA overlooked Florida State being ineligible since their win over FCS Delaware State should not have counted since DSU was under the 90% threshold for utilization of available scholarships that allows the game to count. Deadspin unearthed this last week, but it was too late to change anything.

TIMMY

McHalesNavy said:
TheTruth said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:

You missed the point of the post. 1-AA is no longer, it's now FCS...

silly semantics.

SoCalRedbird

Yesterday's Temple / FIU game was horrendous football. A comedy of errors all night long. Best part was that the commentators had a sense of humor about it.

ISU and half the MVFC would have beaten them both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fourthandshort

SoCalRedbird said:
Yesterday's Temple / FIU game was horrendous football. A comedy of errors all night long. Best part was that the commentators had a sense of humor about it.

ISU and half the MVFC would have beaten them both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Did you mean lower or upper half ??

Reggie Redbird

bb fan said:
Thanks, Timmy.

I was told NIU has to buy 15k tix @$25. Might sell 2 or 3k. There goes half the "guarantee". Travel for team and staff will drain more. Even though they are close. The MAC will have to subsidize all bowl teams again somewhat from the ESPN $$$.

OK, maybe they won't lose any $$$.

Actually bbfan, you are essentially correct. Timmy is right that the payout of the Quicklane Bowl is $600k. What he did not consider is that payout is split with all other MAC schools. So if MAC schools play in 6 bowls paying out a total of $5 million, each school would get $417k, assuming the conference itself takes a share to help fund their salaries, etc. Of that $417k NIU would theoretically get, they will have to spend probably $250k-400k on tickets lone. Say they recoup half of that from their own fans. Then you have hotels, meals, transportation for many days. That is tens of thousands of $$$ on each type of expense. Then, there are expenses for the school related to any administrators and other "perk" expenses for those people and their families.

I would expect NIU to lose a couple hundred thousand dollars on this bowl. I believe when NIU played in the Orange Bowl, the MAC came out and guaranteed they would fund more expenses so NIU didn't lose its shirt on the game.

NIU is lucky in this one if it busses. The cost of 1-2 charter round trip flights for teams and other people would add in a lot more expense.