South Dakota St.

Total Red

Staff member
We don't really have a SDSU thread going so I'll start one.

We played the Jacks very well last year. This year - who knows?
They say it isn't just who you play but when you play them. I think that's definitely been true this season.
It was good to get South Dakota while they were still undefeated and riding high. Clearly we caught NAU, SIU and WIU at the wrong times.

So on one hand this might be a good time to play SDSU. They are coming off of an emotionally charged victory over the Snorty Critters. On the other hand who you are is still important and the Jacks are a highly talented team playing at home. Have to take the Jacks for this one.

jackedforlife

Forecast keeps changing here...as of now expect mid 40's with a 30% chance of rain/sleet. hopefully the precip stays away and we get ok temps.

For anyone coming I'd invite you to check out the tailgate area(s), I think you'll find a mostly welcoming atmosphere. I'd also be more than happy to give any advice for those travelling to our fair city.

In regards to the game, we've been playing very well since the monsoon debacle on 10/14. 3 turnovers in the 1st qtr in UNI territory, add the fact that we couldn't stop the run and they held the ball for 40ish minutes. When we finally started to respond our D was gassed and couldn't get off the field.

Since then the offense has become what we expected in the offseason. In the last 3 games our QB is 63 of 93 for 1,038 yards 9 TDs and 0 int's. He's also rushed for another 121 yards and 3 TDs. The rushing game has done well over that stretch as well. The defense has come around as well and is providing pressure and stopping the run. They also turned the Bison over 5 times(3 picks and 2 fumbles). Special teams had a turnover and some long kickoff returns against them but kicking and punting has been fairly good. We also had an abnormally high amount of penalties last week and our 3rd down conversion ended way below season average.

I expect a good matchup Saturday and can understandably see this game going either way. I just have a feeling that if our offense is firing on all cylinders again it could be a long day for you guys. Although I'm certainly not on here to try to talk any smack.

Chi-bird

I try to predict based off of the thought of being as honest and unbiased as possible.

I don't think South Dakota State will have a letdown. They've had their losses this year and are playing for something much greater, just like we are. They are the better team, in my opinion. Before the season started, I said that they might be the best team in the conference. They have been looking luke studs as of late.

This is their senior day and they are playing for a bye.

I think we battle, but I think the better team wins this one.

SDSU - 37
Birds- 24

saxman210

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
I think there is potential for SDSU to beat themselves.

And for pete sakes STICK TO FEEDING 25 AND 21!

Maybe this was in one of Randy's articles, but is Markel Smith good to go? That was a scary part of the WIU game.

TreRoberson4Heisman

saxman210 said:

Maybe this was in one of Randy's articles, but is Markel Smith good to go? That was a scary part of the WIU game.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-football-maddeningly-inconsistent/article_10af0ead-a7be-5a99-bcf5-2084bf900818.html
“Markel Smith, ISU’s second-leading rusher, sat out practice Tuesday and is in the program’s concussion protocol after absorbing a hard hit while returning a kick against Western Illinois, but is expected to be available Saturday.“

chuckie1980

BIRDS : 31
Rabbits (It is nice to know that another collection of fine men and women refer to themselves as BUNNIES) : 29

fourthandshort

saxman210 said:

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-football-maddeningly-inconsistent/article_10af0ead-a7be-5a99-bcf5-2084bf900818.html
“Markel Smith, ISU’s second-leading rusher, sat out practice Tuesday and is in the program’s concussion protocol after absorbing a hard hit while returning a kick against Western Illinois, but is expected to be available Saturday.“

"expected to be available" is coach speak, which is fine .. but given how long he was down, he needs to sit a week for sure . especially given his running style. Just save him for NDSU game, then see if he is ready.

jackedforlife

There is no doubt they are capable of doing that...It can be so hard to gage at times. But as another poster said when the Jacks are on they are probably one of the most dangerous teams in FCS. Most are aware of the passing attack with the "three amigos" as they've been dubbed, throw in a supporting cast that gets involved and the passing attack can be lethal. The rushing attack has it's own 3 headed monster that I believe gets overlooked often. But a few ill timed mistakes and...well it all goes to crap.

I'm interested in seeing how your LBs and safeties handle Goedert...Weineke expects the double teams. It seems like a lot of teams have tried a safety over Goedert about 60%, when they don't(sometimes when they do) Christion finds him for yards.

fourthandshort

jackedforlife said:

There is no doubt they are capable of doing that...It can be so hard to gage at times. But as another poster said when the Jacks are on they are probably one of the most dangerous teams in FCS. Most are aware of the passing attack with the "three amigos" as they've been dubbed, throw in a supporting cast that gets involved and the passing attack can be lethal. The rushing attack has it's own 3 headed monster that I believe gets overlooked often. But a few ill timed mistakes and...well it all goes to crap.

I'm interested in seeing how your LBs and safeties handle Goedert...Weineke expects the double teams. It seems like a lot of teams have tried a safety over Goedert about 60%, when they don't(sometimes when they do) Christion finds him for yards.
jacked .. not sure if anyone welcomed you, but welcome to Redbird forum.

I posted on AGS how we approach games like this. See our win last year over SDSU and this year over USD .. similar teams in that both revolve around dual threat QBs. We tend to do well against dual threat QBs more often than not, especially if they rely on run more than pass. But we beat SDSU last year and USD this year because we executed our defensive strategy both games .. take away run (RB and QB), take away deep ball, and let them try to beat us underneath. SDSU offense seems to be back on track, so that is obviously a concern for us .. but mitigating that is fact that our front 7 is better than a year ago. Also further mitigating that is our run game is more potent than a year ago, though admittedly less consistent .. but that depends on the run defense we are facing, and whether we game plan accordingly .. all uncertainties. But that is why you see us run for 300+ yards against a USD or YSU, but not against an NAU or InSU or SIU. But if we get run game going, that usually take pressure off pass game, which helps keep your offense off the field more. Then if we stifle your run game, your offense gets a bit more predictable .. except for fact that you have a Weineke and Goedert. If you OC figures out how to get our secondary out of position, like WIU did Q3, then were going to have problems in pass defense like we do sometimes. Who knows hwo this will go, but all those variables weighed together are what I think will decide this game.

That said, I would have liked our chances much better at home. So I like our chances and match up at home against NDSU better than on road against SDSU. But I do like that weather may be dicey this weel, which could dampen your pass game some.

My head says we lose game with score like 38-24. My heart says we win 27-24 type game. Hows that for hedging my bet ??

fourthandshort

oh, and most of our LBs are big, so hoping we keep better track of Goedert this year than last year. We have 6'4" 230 LB Barry or 6'2" 240 lb LB Holm .. both 2-way athletes who run well for their size.

Adunk33

Staff member
jackedforlife said:

All you'll have to do with the passing attack is throw two or three 6-10 yard slants in a row and then go for the home run. You'll score 3 out of 4 times. Pass. Pass. Pass. That's how you beat the Birds. If the SDSU oline protects their QB, they will win with ease. Then again, we hit the crap out of Cookus (NAU) and he still threw for 380 and 3 TD.

Tip for the SDSU defense, watch Kolbe's head. He'll tell you who is getting the ball about a second after the snap.

Sorry for the pessimistic attitude this morning! Life as a Redbird football and basketball fan is getting me down. Every time with think we have something going, the boat takes on water. We'll see if the team can bring their lunch pales and start dumping the water out before we sink.

In other news... A conference championship is still an unlikely possibility. The top four (listed on the MVFC Website) all play eachother.
Remaining schedules:
North Dakota State (5-1): vs South Dakota, @ILST
South Dakota (4-2): @NDSU, vs South Dakota State
South Dakota State (4-2): vs ILST, @South Dakota
Illinois State(4-2): @ SDSU, vs NDSU
Northern Iowa (4-2): @Mo State, vs Indiana State

If we somehow win both, that puts NDSU, at best at 6-2. Northern Iowa will very likely finish at 6-2. If NDSU slips up one of the last two games, UNI will get a share of the conference title. We play in the best FCS Conference in the country. Amazing.

jackedforlife

fourthandshort said:
oh, and most of our LBs are big, so hoping we keep better track of Goedert this year than last year. We have 6'4" 230 LB Barry or 6'2" 240 lb LB Holm .. both 2-way athletes who run well for their size.
Thanks for the welcome...I look forward to watching those matchups. If I remember correctly last year both Goedert and Weineke torched the Redbirds. Christion threw for a ton of yards but also had 2-3 picks, including a pick six of 85 yards plus. I don't think the running game ever got on track. Our D dealt with a lot of short field all game long much like the UNI game this year. I'm hoping that's the only one like that we have this year.

If you're able to establish a run game with a few long sustained drives our d could be in trouble, That's what happened in both our losses this year. We have a great D tackle in Soulek (6'5, 315) but he can't play 80 snaps and 37+ min. Our LBs aren't overly big but they're fast and effective. Tackling was an issue earlier in the season, even in our victories. They've solidified this. Our back end is good, although if they get into a habit of turning for the ball they could be great.

Special teams have been for the most part very good. We have given up a punt TD and last week the Kick coverage wasn't as sharp. Vinatieri(yes, his uncle is Adam) has kicked well, scored a TD and had a slobberknocker hit last week. Although he has missed some extra points. Both kick and punt have had some turnovers but have also had some great returns too.

I look forward to this matchup and I hope any fans making the trip enjoy their time in Brookings and eastern SD

StLRedbird

Massey says 31-21 Wabbits. Since my crystal ball about which ISU squad is going to show up is on the blink, that sounds okay to me.

Redbirds 21
Wascawy Wabbits 31

fourthandshort

jackedforlife said:
fourthandshort said:
Thanks for the welcome...I look forward to watching those matchups. If I remember correctly last year both Goedert and Weineke torched the Redbirds. Christion threw for a ton of yards but also had 2-3 picks, including a pick six of 85 yards plus. I don't think the running game ever got on track. Our D dealt with a lot of short field all game long much like the UNI game this year. I'm hoping that's the only one like that we have this year.

If you're able to establish a run game with a few long sustained drives our d could be in trouble, That's what happened in both our losses this year. We have a great D tackle in Soulek (6'5, 315) but he can't play 80 snaps and 37+ min. Our LBs aren't overly big but they're fast and effective. Tackling was an issue earlier in the season, even in our victories. They've solidified this. Our back end is good, although if they get into a habit of turning for the ball they could be great.

Special teams have been for the most part very good. We have given up a punt TD and last week the Kick coverage wasn't as sharp. Vinatieri(yes, his uncle is Adam) has kicked well, scored a TD and had a slobberknocker hit last week. Although he has missed some extra points. Both kick and punt have had some turnovers but have also had some great returns too.

I look forward to this matchup and I hope any fans making the trip enjoy their time in Brookings and eastern SD
back to our run game .. if our offensive game plan can take advantage of your DL and contain your stud DT, and our OL executes tha game plan .. then our 2 RBs are very hard to tackle once they get past line of scrimmage. Both are nice size and fast for their size, and get many yards after 1st contact. Again, assuming they get out of backfield with some regularity - they are both hard to tackle. I know Rozeboom is a stud and 225 lbs, but rest of your LBers are small .. and they will struggle once our RBs get downhill. That aspect will decide if we have a shot at winning or if game slips away from us. So watch our 2 sophomore RBs Robinson (#25, 215 lbs) and Smth (#21, 225 lbs). Smith may not be able to go. But he is backed up by another young RB .. FR Birch (#8, 235 lbs) who is big and can run for his size. My guess is we will try to run it down your throats with our size advantage ... but that assumes our OL gets them beyond line of scrimmage regularly .. we shall see about that.

jackedforlife

fourthandshort said:
jackedforlife said:
fourthandshort said:

back to our run game .. if our offensive game plan can take advantage of your DL and contain your stud DT, and our OL executes tha game plan .. then our 2 RBs are very hard to tackle once they get past line of scrimmage. Both are nice size and fast for their size, and get many yards after 1st contact. Again, assuming they get out of backfield with some regularity - they are both hard to tackle. I know Rozeboom is a stud and 225 lbs, but rest of your LBers are small .. and they will struggle once our RBs get downhill. That aspect will decide if we have a shot at winning or if game slips away from us. So watch our 2 sophomore RBs Robinson (#25, 215 lbs) and Smth (#21, 225 lbs). Smith may not be able to go. But he is backed up by another young RB .. FR Birch (#8, 235 lbs) who is big and can run for his size. My guess is we will try to run it down your throats with our size advantage ... but that assumes our OL gets them beyond line of scrimmage regularly .. we shall see about that.

Geez...aren't RBs supposed to get smaller the younger they get. lol...Great, we haven't really had to deal with big backs this season...should be a challenge. It looks like our teams have similar rushing yardage at this point but different styles. I anticipate a battle in the trenches(isn't it always) and expect the game to be won there. I expect our defensive gameplan to be in line with what we employed last week against the Bison...make Kolbe beat us.

No change to the forecast...mid 40's, cloudy, 30% chance of precip....

RollBirds2002

jackedforlife said:
fourthandshort said:
jackedforlife said:

Geez...aren't RBs supposed to get smaller the younger they get. lol...Great, we haven't really had to deal with big backs this season...should be a challenge. It looks like our teams have similar rushing yardage at this point but different styles. I anticipate a battle in the trenches(isn't it always) and expect the game to be won there. I expect our defensive gameplan to be in line with what we employed last week against the Bison...make Kolbe beat us.

No change to the forecast...mid 40's, cloudy, 30% chance of precip....

GOD! Enough with being so nice to each other already... SOMEONE THROW A PUNCH!!! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

LOL, JK... JK... Nice to see some civility in the world. Hoping for a close and entertaining game going down to the wire with the Birds just edging out the Jacks.

jackedforlife

"the Birds just edging out the Jacks."

Thems fightin' werds....lol. I am on record on our fan board as saying our offense gets rolling and we win big time. Part of that is just a feeling on how our O is playing and the other part is last week I predicted we'd beat the Bison 35-17(it was 33-21), so I'm hopeful for the same mojo. I'll be honest the ground and pound is concerning though.

I do hope some of you make it out for the game. I believe that there is a Veterans ticket giveaway as well with military ID. It's only 9-9 1/2 hour drive through some of the prettiest post harvest scenery Iowa has to offer. Seriously though, I think many of you would find an incredibly inviting tailgate and gameday atmosphere

Top Bottom