Redbirds vs Augustana

Jsnhbe1Birds

The story is fouling and losing the ball (sometimes they regain possession). They just are so sloppy. They havent learned and it will hold them back.

Flagship08

Anyone know how much zone vs man to man defense we played? Wondering how Augustana shot so well from 3.

DWRedbird

Couple of notes on the game:

-- We don't rotate well on D, and teams that shoot 3s well will eat us alive. We should start with a zone and then switch to the man when we figure out how to play with our feet.
-- We need to spend tomorrow shooting FTs, that was a sad showing from the line.
-- Key looked good offensively in first game back. I like that he is driving more as well, it adds another facet to his game.
--If Phil keeps up that jumper he is going to be unstoppable. Made me extremely nervous when he took a shot to the head on the loose ball, but it was nice to see him come back in the game.
--I liked the way Boogie was playing, we need this sort of play all year long on both ends of the floor.

CaliRdBrd

This team will not beat FGCU.
I’m guessing 11-7 in conference and 21 wins overall.

Matt Hein Fan

The team hardly woke up for the early start, had a 17 point lead one point, and some are saying this shows what they will be like during the regular season???

The simple relatity is this is Augustana's biggest game of the year, they were trying to "upset us" and this is no slouch of a program. Their coach has been there 25 years and had 450+ career wins. Dan hardly even seemed to be coaching, just trying to get everybody minutes.

This team will be very good, and one exhibition game doesn't change anything.

B

BirdGrad2011

Don’t read too much into exhibitions for any team. No offense, minutes distribution is way off, players don’t take it seriously, etc. Step back from the ledge if you are altering projections based on today.

IHateWSU

+/- stats from the game

Tinsley +18
MY + 10
Ike +9
Key and Rey + 7
Jefferson + 4
Fayne 0
Chastain -4
Copeland -11

-Surprised me Copeland was so low, and Ike was that high.
-Boogie looked solid today. I was impressed with him and Jefferson.
-I felt like Rey got outplayed by Augies Bigs. But in his defense, I was impressed with their Big men.
-Milik still tries to do too much

I missed Tuesday's game, so this was my first time to see the Birds. Augie is a VERY GOOD D3 school, but again it is a D3 school. Not sure how much we set up an offense and how much it was just street ball. With that said, we will beat FGCU, but struggle with Belmont if we play like this. Hopefully we will have a better student turn out Tuesday!

Jsnhbe1Birds

About 20 fouls and about 20 turnovers. Both need to be cut in half. And free throw need to go from 58% to at least 75%

Brick

Not gonna read anything into an exhibition game. They will be ready Tuesday.

Adunk33

Staff member
You can't leave D3 players open. They weren't recruited to D3 because of their athleticism.... In fairness there were probably 5-7 of their made threes were with hands in their face. Tip of the hat to how they competed. They are going to be pretty good in the D3 ranks.
We showed next to none of our offense. It was streetball. We tried an alley oop on like 3 straight possessions.

I'm not worried.

Birdman85

DWRedbird said:

-- We don't rotate well on D, and teams that shoot 3s well will eat us alive. We should start with a zone and then switch to the man when we figure out how to play with our feet.
-- We need to spend tomorrow shooting FTs, that was a sad showing from the line.
-- Key looked good offensively in first game back. I like that he is driving more as well, it adds another facet to his game.
--If Phil keeps up that jumper he is going to be unstoppable. Made me extremely nervous when he took a shot to the head on the loose ball, but it was nice to see him come back in the game.
--I liked the way Boogie was playing, we need this sort of play all year long on both ends of the floor.

I assume you mean Evans when you speak of Key. He looked terrible on offense. He is so damn careless with the ball!

DWRedbird

Birdman85 said:
DWRedbird said:

I assume you mean Evans when you speak of Key. He looked terrible on offense. He is so damn careless with the ball!

We must have watched two different games, he didn't look careless at all to me. He made good drives to the basket, moved the ball well, I didnt see much carelessness.

There was carelessness with the ball all around at times, by several on the team, but I chalk most of that up to us not running an offense.

Top Bottom