Redbirds at Illini 9/5/2020

Adunk33

Staff member
This is awesome! I didn't get to go the last time we played them, so I really look forward to this!

CaliRdBrd

Hell yeah!!! Time to put our stamp as the flagship program on the state of Illinois!!!
My guess is there be more Red than Orange the stands.

bb fan

I recall a poster or two once saying we needed to go FBS if only to get B10 competition.

redbirds2000

CaliRdBrd said:
Hell yeah!!! Time to put our stamp as the flagship program on the state of Illinois!!!

You think we can get 30,000 ISU fans to a football game?? My guess is you will be able to walk up to the ticket booth at kick off and buy a ticket, no problem.

fourthandshort

redbirds2000 said:
CaliRdBrd said:

You think we can get 30,000 ISU fans to a football game?? My guess is you will be able to walk up to the ticket booth at kick off and buy a ticket, no problem.

30,000 ?? Slow your roll .. this is the program that drew about 5k when we hosted UNI for 1st round playoff game in 2014.

But love how we are lining Big 10 opponents again. Far cry from years we had to supplement or FBS with MAC teams.

RedbirdSoxFan

fourthandshort said:
redbirds2000 said:
CaliRdBrd said:

30,000 ?? Slow your roll .. this is the program that drew about 5k when we hosted UNI for 1st round playoff game in 2014.

But love how we are lining Big 10 opponents again. Far cry from years we had to supplement or FBS with MAC teams.

Only reason Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan.....etc. would not draw 30,000 is that Hancock does not hold 30,000

fourthandshort

RedbirdSoxFan said:
fourthandshort said:
redbirds2000 said:

Only reason Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan.....etc. would not draw 30,000 is that Hancock does not hold 30,000

but we're talking about ISU going to U of I, and drawing 30,000 ... will never happen. How many did we have at Northwestern ... thought we guessed about 5k or so ? And that was major metro Chicago area.

bb fan

We drew well more than 30k the last time we played at UIUC. They actually undereported the crowd by not counting State Farm discounted tix and the number was still bigger.

fourthandshort

bb fan said:
We drew well more than 30k the last time we played at UIUC. They actually undereported the crowd by not counting State Farm discounted tix and the number was still bigger.
Will assume you are talking about 2009 ... but hard to believe they drew 62k like they did and 30k were Redbirds. The week before they 62k against Missouri and 2 weeks later they drew 64k for Penn St.

Where does the "well more than 30k" estimate come from ?

redbirds2000

RedbirdSoxFan said:
fourthandshort said:
redbirds2000 said:

Ha...30,000 Ohio State fans. I do appreciate your Kool Aide consumption!

RedbirdSoxFan

redbirds2000 said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
fourthandshort said:

Ha...30,000 Ohio State fans. I do appreciate your Kool Aide consumption!

I guess that is just your opinion. Until Hancock holds 30,000 and the Buckeye’s are playing there, we will never know.

bb fan

I dunno how many Redbird fans where there in 2009. I do know for a fact that the crowd was actually 6k more with the State Farm discounted tix NOT counted. Fourthandshort, I will put a steak dinner on the crowd for the next ISU / UIUC being over 30k right now. An easy free supper for me.

fourthandshort

bb fan said:
I dunno how many Redbird fans where there in 2009. I do know for a fact that the crowd was actually 6k more with the State Farm discounted tix NOT counted. Fourthandshort, I will put a steak dinner on the crowd for the next ISU / UIUC being over 30k right now. An easy free supper for me.

but U of I reported the game was sold out at capacity of 62,870 .. not sure if there was SRO over the reported capacity that you might be referring to. But given they were reporting every game as sell out that year, I doubt ISU fans were able to get their hands on 30k of those tickets. Pantagraph game article made zero mention of big Redbird fan turnout or SRO crowd. I think you got some misinformation from someone about this game.

Would gladly take that bet and be even gladder to have to pay on that bet if we got 30k at a U of I road game. These days, U of I doesn't sell out anymore, so it might be more possible. But I prefer to remain anonymous as a poster .. so we'll just call this an online pinky-bet !

bb fan

I guess I misunderstood, Forth. I thought you were talking 30k total attendance, How can anyone determine how many of the fans are there for either team?

Metamoron

So we are almost a full page into this and no one has anything positive to say about getting these games scheduled.

With all the crap being sent to our AD about the STX scheduling fiasco, I will be the first to say, well done getting these games onto the schedule.

Top Bottom