POLL: Did you donate to the 309 campaign?

Did you donate to the 309 campaign?

• Yes $309

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Yes but less then $309

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Yes but more then $309

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • No and don’t plan to

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • No but I still might

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

Redbirdfan21

Just curious as to the responses. No comments needed. I think these are anonymous? If not, maybe they can be?

cubird

Did donate for the new basketball court. However, reviewing the 309 campaign I did not see how u could designate gift to a particular sport.

redbirdron1

Well there you go - 50% have no interest in donating but we complain about shortcomings of program.
Yes, every time we turn around someone is asking for dough. 60% of US struggles to get ahead while too many are poverty stricken. Not saying $309 is doable for all but………goodness $26/mo to Redbird U/Basketball is worth it for the enjoyment and Angst I put up with. Everytime we lose to Valpo - well, that ain’t the time to ask me for dough but life goes on and I appreciate how focused Pedon and staff are to the cause.

Yes to $309.

Aggie

I run under the assumption anything you say or do can and will be used against you at some point in the future. And with computers nothing is confidential to the people with the ability to hack into something. And, “ just because I am paranoid doesn’t mean they still are not out to get me.” I rarely if ever do an online poll. That’s just me. Don’t be so sure about the 50%. Plus, I used to be season football and basketball multiple ticket holder. I for couple years now have not gotten even an email from the athletic department. I still get email updates from the department I graduated from. I get cleaning up email lists but emails are also basically a no cost way to reach out to people. Lastly I still attend some games both sports. I still support my department. I also am not questioning or bashing the site administrator. I believe it when he says he cannot see the individual votes. I appreciate all he does.

schoolsportsfan

Here is my dilemma for donating to NI. It doesn’t matter the amount but say I donate $500-$1000. For discussion purposes let’s say we give Johnny K $50,000 this year. He has a very good year but ISU does not make the NCAA tournament. Johnny K jumps into the portal after next season to take a larger offer. What did I receive for my NIL donation? I will totally feel like I received zero return for my NIL donation. This will continue to happen because the P5 schools will always be able to offer more. So my question is why do I donate when the player will leave for a bigger offer?

Aggie

Looking at the NIL, who does it benefit the most? The athletes and big corporations that can deduct the “donations” as an advertising expense. I as an individual gain really nothing from paying an athlete for their name and likeness, but a company that wants that name recognition on the product they are selling gets a big benefit from it. Can you say Air Jordans. A lot more I could say but if your University does not have a major company that wants that name recognition you are at a huge disadvantage. At least I get a potential tax deduction if I donate to a nonprofit part of the University. NIL doesn’t have much benefit for me as an individual. Season ticket premium gets one better seats. NIL is one way for a business to advertise what they are selling associated with a name. Last thought “how much NIL would Michael Jordan gotten as a sophomore after hitting the national championship shot.”

Redbird78

Looking at the NIL, who does it benefit the most? The athletes and big corporations that can deduct the “donations” as an advertising expense. I as an individual gain really nothing from paying an athlete for their name and likeness, but a company that wants that name recognition on the product they are selling gets a big benefit from it. Can you say Air Jordans. A lot more I could say but if your University does not have a major company that wants that name recognition you are at a huge disadvantage. At least I get a potential tax deduction if I donate to a nonprofit part of the University. NIL doesn’t have much benefit for me as an individual. Season ticket premium gets one better seats. NIL is one way for a business to advertise what they are selling associated with a name. Last thought “how much NIL would Michael Jordan gotten as a sophomore after hitting the national championship shot.”
CEO/President/Board Chairs (or some combination thereof) for State Farm and Progressive are ISU graduates. Just wondering where that factors in to the equation.

Dmills

Here is my dilemma for donating to NI. It doesn’t matter the amount but say I donate $500-$1000. For discussion purposes let’s say we give Johnny K $50,000 this year. He has a very good year but ISU does not make the NCAA tournament. Johnny K jumps into the portal after next season to take a larger offer. What did I receive for my NIL donation? I will totally feel like I received zero return for my NIL donation. This will continue to happen because the P5 schools will always be able to offer more. So my question is why do I donate when the player will leave for a bigger offer?
I get your concern and frustration, but it is about remaining competitive. If JK leaves behind 50K, then in theory, that leaves 50K for the next guy. If JK leaves behind $0, that leaves $0 for the next guy. The next guy (hopefully of a similar caliber) will be more likely to come for 50K than for 0. It is all about competition and we have to remain competitive with other programs. You have to view it as part of "the greater good of the program". With that being said, do as you wish. Just putting my perspective out there. I'll add that I have not donated to the campaign but am considering it.

TBus_Birds

I get your concern and frustration, but it is about remaining competitive. If JK leaves behind 50K, then in theory, that leaves 50K for the next guy. If JK leaves behind $0, that leaves $0 for the next guy. The next guy (hopefully of a similar caliber) will be more likely to come for 50K than for 0. It is all about competition and we have to remain competitive with other programs. You have to view it as part of "the greater good of the program". With that being said, do as you wish. Just putting my perspective out there. I'll add that I have not donated to the campaign but am considering it.
Well said. That's where I'm at with it – it sucks, but it's the hand the NCAA has dealt mid-majors. If we're gonna try and be competitive in the NIL game, ISU has to dive in. Upon hearing the rumor that Skunberg got $80k, if true, I say good. Can't nickel and dime guys. Let it be out there for other potential recruits that that's what ISU has to offer.

And that's not a criticism of peoples' willingness to donate or not, just NIL in general. Might as well embrace it.

ScoreboardDotRace

Well said. That's where I'm at with it – it sucks, but it's the hand the NCAA has dealt mid-majors. If we're gonna try and be competitive in the NIL game, ISU has to dive in. Upon hearing the rumor that Skunberg got $80k, if true, I say good. Can't nickel and dime guys. Let it be out there for other potential recruits that that's what ISU has to offer.

And that's not a criticism of peoples' willingness to donate or not, just NIL in general. Might as well embrace it.
Thanks Boden.

Dmills

The part of NIL that I really like is the merchandise aspect. It also gives you an opportunity to support specific players (of course they can still transfer at any time). I bought the autographed trading cards because I wanted them and was willing to pay the premium price to support the players (however small the amount they receive may be). I think that is a great way that our fans can show players love - through buying their merchandise. Then the money is going directly to players on the basketball team. I am going to buy a Johnny Kinziger "Shersey" now that he has announced he is returning. If anyone wants to donate to the 309 campaign, please do. This is a great alternative way to support players for those who don't want to.

Bird Friend

I am retired. I have a fixed income, plus $$ in a 401k. I need to make that $$ last, hopefully a long time. Being lectured to about how ponying up NIL $$ is important by folks who’s only interest is bragging rights about our sports teams is quite offputting. I’m not interested in giving money away to stoke other fans’ egos.

I’ve given $$ to ISU for decades. Through the good and the bad. Would I like the Birds to be competitive? Sure. But now that it officially and unequivocally is a business, it needs to be run that way. Businesses don’t ask their customers to pay their employees AND buy their products/services. Unless they’re willing to sell stock in the program, I’m done giving ISU athletics any $$. I’ll continue to support the more important side of the university, the dducational side.

Adunk33

Staff member
Businesses don’t ask their customers to pay their employees AND buy their products/services.
But don't they? DP Dough can chime in but I have to think when I order 3 zones, an order of wings, and some tots, then pay for the order and tip the driver that the employees making the food, packaging it and delivering it are all being compensated.

Business don't work without customers buying their product, which the profit eventually trickles down to pay their salary.

I get your example though. You aren't paying the employee directly out of your pocket for the product/service and also paying for their product/service....but you kinda are.

Redbird222

But don't they? DP Dough can chime in but I have to think when I order 3 zones, an order of wings, and some tots, then pay for the order and tip the driver that the employees making the food, packaging it and delivering it are all being compensated.

Business don't work without customers buying their product, which the profit eventually trickles down to pay their salary.

I get your example though. You aren't paying the employee directly out of your pocket for the product/service and also paying for their product/service....but you kinda are.
We are/have been paying the university who is and has been receiving ticket, TV, donations, and other revenues. I am fine with businesses being able to pay players for promoting their product but I lean towards not giving to the collectives and forcing the university and the overall system to figure this out without having to dip more into my wallet.

RedbirdSoxFan

Protect the Nest is attempting to raise funds to help bring in players that can elevate Redbird Nation to a competitive level. If that happens I’m sure that both those who donate and those who do not donate will be happy (I know I will). If Protect the Nest doesn’t do this and we have no funds to bring in (and keep) the players needed to elevate Redbird athletics to be competitive to win titles we will be at the bottom half of the conference. I am appreciative to Protect the Nest for their effort.

Bird Friend

Not like this, you aren’t. Does DP Dough send out a request to their customers asking for donations so they can pay their employees?

dpdoughbird06

Not like this, you aren’t. Does DP Dough send out a request to their customers asking for donations so they can pay their employees?
Can’t imagine how we’d do that, which is why NIL is so odd. Would I pay a GM and then make everyone else an independent contractor paid out of tips and service fees?

It’s silly how wr ended up with NIL collectives rather than donors contributing to schools directly and letting athletic departments and programs figure out how to pay players from their budget. All because the NCAA dug in so deep in player compensation for decades and it blew up in their face.

If anything it might slow the coaching arms race, which remains crazy.

Metamoron

In answering the question, no I have not donated. One reason being, the only way I heard about it was reading this board.

Top Bottom