Pedon Staff

B

BirdGrad2011

Let’s move from the breaking news thread to any rumors or news as it relates to Ryan building his staff.

About the only “rumor” and I wouldn’t even call it that was he spoke very highly of Paris Parham and Paris spoke glowingly about the community. I wonder if there is any chance of a reunion?

SgtHulka

Might take a carousel spin or two on the wheel of job openings to completely fill all roles. Hoping he can at least tab one early while Ohio St finishes play to mind the shop here full time

MadBird

Let’s move from the breaking news thread to any rumors or news as it relates to Ryan building his staff.

About the only “rumor” and I wouldn’t even call it that was he spoke very highly of Paris Parham and Paris spoke glowingly about the community. I wonder if there is any chance of a reunion?
Paris at DePaul now, not sure he'd be looking to leave. Maybe.

I wondered about recently dumped UW-Milwaukee HC Pat Baldwin, was a Northwestern assistant before that and played there. Has been in the midwest his whole career, was at Missouri St. for a couple years, Loyola, Green Bay. Would be a top notch guy to get I would think.

One of the Milwaukee assistants, who I assume are out of work, is Terrance McGee, former Missouri St. player and Saluki assistant. Bio says he's a strong recruiter in St. Louis and is a Milwaukee native - hits two of Pedon's geographic targets.

Looked back at Butler rosters to see if I could come up with anything from Pedon's time there and nothing hit me. Former OSU players are playing pro ball, no one seems to be out there coaching yet.

So those aren't even rumors, just MadBird musings on a slow day waiting for tournament hoops to get hopping!! :D

Dmills

Baldwin would be great. Knows Chicago and he can bring Jr. with him if PBJ doesn't declare.
Could be an option. FWIW he made $350,000 at UW-M. If he came on as an associate head coach, he could make up to $150,000 potentially. Brian Jones made $140,000 while he was here and other assistants were in the 90,000-120,000 range. With the connections that Pedon has, I am sure there are a ton of coaches in play.

Last edited:

topiarydan

I'm pretty sure part of Ryan's deal was getting a $25k bump for his associate head coach

Adunk33

Staff member
Odds are, at least one current assistant will be retained to help ease the transition. With that, you probably tab the one that has the best relationships with the players which would be Johnson (Muller kept on Judson for the first year to keep a bulk of the roster together). I'm guessing Johnson is also the least expensive of the current 3. As much as I would love to see Wills back, first-time head coaches tend to give those deeper bench jobs to guys they know and trust. See Muller bringing in Wills and Putyrski.

I'm in the camp of hoping OSU gets bounced early in the B1G tournament, so Ryan can spend the next 4 days focusing on the Redbirds and getting moving with his staff. Those who said they want him to get as much experience as possible coaching in the tournament...He's been in the dance 7 years in a row between Butler and Ohio State. This year makes 8 and it'd be 9 if not for the COVID cancellation. About a decade of experience coaching in the post season works for me.

In his presser, he said recruiting has already started. Love to hear it. Just has to be tough being the "only guy" reaching out to kids.

SgtHulka

In his presser, he said recruiting has already started. Love to hear it. Just has to be tough being the "only guy" reaching out to kids.
Yep. Hoping he can secure 1 assistant quickly to handle watching players, sharing the text load...

CaliRdBrd

Could be an option. FWIW he made $350,000 at UW-M. If he came on as an associate head coach, he could make up to $150,000 potentially. Brian Jones made $140,000 while he was here and other assistants were in the 90,000-120,000 range. With the connections that Pedon has, I am sure there are a ton of coaches in play.
You speak of Jones in past tense. Is he gone?

Bird Friend

Odds are, at least one current assistant will be retained to help ease the transition. With that, you probably tab the one that has the best relationships with the players which would be Johnson (Muller kept on Judson for the first year to keep a bulk of the roster together). I'm guessing Johnson is also the least expensive of the current 3. As much as I would love to see Wills back, first-time head coaches tend to give those deeper bench jobs to guys they know and trust. See Muller bringing in Wills and Putyrski.

I'm in the camp of hoping OSU gets bounced early in the B1G tournament, so Ryan can spend the next 4 days focusing on the Redbirds and getting moving with his staff. Those who said they want him to get as much experience as possible coaching in the tournament...He's been in the dance 7 years in a row between Butler and Ohio State. This year makes 8 and it'd be 9 if not for the COVID cancellation. About a decade of experience coaching in the post season works for me.

FWIW, Johnson has continued following players. Could be just interest in helping kids improve. Could be keeping an eye on talent that could translate into job offers. Could be for the Birds. Could be he’s just messing with us.

jbird

I'm not saying that he should sit on his hands until then, but I'll be surprised if much with the coaching staff is resolved prior to the Final Four weekend. By then, a number of coaching vacancies (either by firing or moving on to another school) will be resolved and that coaching turnover obviously affects the Assistant Coaches who would be looking to land a job.

Dmills

You speak of Jones in past tense. Is he gone?
Like Bird Friend said, I would be shocked if he is kept on. He is too closely linked to Muller and honestly I don't think Brennan would want him back. If you are looking for something solid or concrete, in the Northern Iowa press conference on 3/4, he joked that he was going to be looking for a job now with the season over. While that would have been before he would have had any serious conversations with Pedon, I really doubt he will be back.

CaliRdBrd

Like Bird Friend said, I would be shocked if he is kept on. He is too closely linked to Muller and honestly I don't think Brennan would want him back. If you are looking for something solid or concrete, in the Northern Iowa press conference on 3/4, he joked that he was going to be looking for a job now with the season over. While that would have been before he would have had any serious conversations with Pedon, I really doubt he will be back.
Well, our offense didn’t exactly flourish under his time here.
I’m sure he’ll be gone

Top Bottom