NDSU game 10/20

lakesbison

welcome to Fargo.

should be a great game... although with Spocks Stache gone, I think you guy will be hurting!

NDSU has gotten off to 3 slow starts, I'd really like to see our offense step it up. Defense has been great, just giving up some passing yards here or there. weather will be 50 or so, so come on up and tailgate!!

tickets = sold out since August like every home game. expect $100-150/ticket

Sanantoniobird

lakesbison said:
welcome to Fargo.

should be a great game... although with Spocks Stache gone, I think you guy will be hurting!

NDSU has gotten off to 3 slow starts, I'd really like to see our offense step it up. Defense has been great, just giving up some passing yards here or there. weather will be 50 or so, so come on up and tailgate!!

Seriously? You come here every year (very cool) and our coach has been here 10 years and you can’t get the spelling right? You never see us spell Coach Bohl’s name wrong?

lakesbison

it's what ndsu fans affectionately call him... its all good.

I've always said Illinois State is the #2 program in the mvfc. sdsu uni usd YSU = average at best

fourthandshort

lakesbison said:

I've always said Illinois State is the #2 program in the mvfc. sdsu uni usd YSU = average at best

wow, back pedaling already. no sucking up when you come here dude .. keep it real. In any case, welcome back Lakesbison.

SDSU has been clear #2 since 2012. ISUr is probably tied for 3rd with UNI over same time frame with WIU/YSU not too far behind over same timeframe.

So this looks to be great match up on paper ... 2 great defenses with great run games, and pretty good passing. Our special teams, other than placekicking has been good to great this year.

What makes this team special is we lost our 9 fullest time starters on defense from a year ago .. which was a very strong defense, yet came back this year and once again have a very strong, big, deep defense. Emphasis on big and deep. Check out our roster by position group. It' might not be the fastest group, but they're big, can hit, and have shown incredible gap discipline.

Defensively .. we're as big as some NFL teams

DE's are all 6'4" to 6'7" and 250 to 270
DT are 6'6" 325 and 6'4" 295 (latter just back from injury)
LBers are 240, 250, 250, 235 ... and we can bring in speedier guys when needed for 3rd and long at 230, 225, 235
DBs are all around 195 to 200

Offensively .. we're a lot like NDSU featuring 2 stud RBs and pass as needed to keep defenses honest

RBs are 220 and 230 lbs and run very well .. so the same size as your LBers and much bigger than you DBs .. they each average around 6.7 ypc with Robinson getting 2/3rd the carries and Smith getting 1/3rd.

OL is about same size as yours, maybe a tad bigger. Most people think our LT will get drafted .. and he's only a RS FR. He's 6'10" and up to 315 lbs with long arms and sculpted frame .. he knows how to use his long arms and move his feet at 6'10".

The one thing we can't say is that we have been fully tested this year. We've not played the heart of MVFC schedule .. we've still got @NDSU, SDSU, and @UNI coming up the next 3 weeks. So we will find out where we're at against upper tier MVFC this week in Fargo.

Probably the best match up between these 2 teams since Frisco.

p.s. whether or not this is THE year we make another run, I'm not 100% sure yet .. mext 3 weeks will tell. But we have 85-90% of our 2 deep back next year ... I may buy 2019 Frisco tickets (Jan 2020) before 2019 season starts. We are loaded deep for next 2 years on both sides of ball.

crazzymark

fourthandshort said:
lakesbison said:

wow, back pedaling already. no sucking up when you come here dude .. keep it real. In any case, welcome back Lakesbison.

SDSU has been clear #2 since 2012. ISUr is probably tied for 3rd with UNI over same time frame with WIU/YSU not too far behind over same timeframe.

So this looks to be great match up on paper ... 2 great defenses with great run games, and pretty good passing. Our special teams, other than placekicking has been good to great this year.

What makes this team special is we lost our 9 fullest time starters on defense from a year ago .. which was a very strong defense, yet came back this year and once again have a very strong, big, deep defense. Emphasis on big and deep. Check out our roster by position group. It' might not be the fastest group, but they're big, can hit, and have shown incredible gap discipline.

Defensively .. we're as big as some NFL teams

DE's are all 6'4" to 6'7" and 250 to 270
DT are 6'6" 325 and 6'4" 295 (latter just back from injury)
LBers are 240, 250, 250, 235 ... and we can bring in speedier guys when needed for 3rd and long at 230, 225, 235
DBs are all around 195 to 200

Offensively .. we're a lot like NDSU featuring 2 stud RBs and pass as needed to keep defenses honest

RBs are 220 and 230 lbs and run very well .. so the same size as your LBers and much bigger than you DBs .. they each average around 6.7 ypc with Robinson getting 2/3rd the carries and Smith getting 1/3rd.

OL is about same size as yours, maybe a tad bigger. Most people think our LT will get drafted .. and he's only a RS FR. He's 6'10" and up to 315 lbs with long arms and sculpted frame .. he knows how to use his long arms and move his feet at 6'10".

The one thing we can't say is that we have been fully tested this year. We've not played the heart of MVFC schedule .. we've still got @NDSU, SDSU, and @UNI coming up the next 3 weeks. So we will find out where we're at against upper tier MVFC this week in Fargo.

Probably the best match up between these 2 teams since Frisco.

p.s. whether or not this is THE year we make another run, I'm not 100% sure yet .. mext 3 weeks will tell. But we have 85-90% of our 2 deep back next year ... I may buy 2019 Frisco tickets (Jan 2020) before 2019 season starts. We are loaded deep for next 2 years on both sides of ball.

Well said 4th....yes I said it... :text-+1:

crazzymark

I have a feeling the Mr. Robinson and Mr. Smith wasn't fully happy by not rushing for more yards this week...so on Saturday, behind the biggest O-Line in the MVFC and one of the biggest in all of college football are looking forward to getting in the second tier over and over, mostly in the second have after the O-Line grinds down the defensive line.... again.

JHBird

lakesbison said:
what's ISU-R's strengths this year?

hows the passing game ?

Hasn't been awful, but nowhere near what the running game has done. We have a new starting QB Brady Davis ( already won MVC newcomer of the week 3 times). He isn't the most accurate passer, but moves around in the pocket pretty good. I think his strength is he doesn't turn the ball over (no fumbles, only 1 int). I think our defense is as good as last years so I'm hoping that keeps us in the game. I thought SDSU had you guys in Fargo, but noooooooooo!

Hey, why don't you guys just move up to the FBS?

Good luck!

fourthandshort

Bisonville thread is only at 3 pages ... which to me says, DISRESPECT !!!!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?39603-Illinois-St/page3

Seriously, nothing special yet on their fan board ... best line, which I thought was pretty funny:

"Is this going to be a standard length game? Or has Spack requested more time so they don't run out?"

Not one of Spack's finer moments after we lost Natty when he admitted to press he had just told his team .. "we didn't lose, we just ran out of time". He must have had his "dad hat" on when he said it. Uh, we lost .. clock didn't even run out on us .. Roberson had hit backup TE with pass over middle and he got stripped, so NDSU had ball to run out clock, not us.

I'll link the AGS thread once it gets going.

Lead up to game should be more interesting than usual ... but can't wait for game Saturday at 2:30 CST.

CCRedbirds

Illinois State at North Dakota State
Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:30 PM

Illinois State +14½ Over 40½
North Dakota State -14½ Under 40½

fourthandshort

CCRedbirds said:
Illinois State at North Dakota State
Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:30 PM

Illinois State +14½ Over 40½
North Dakota State -14½ Under 40½

:think: hmmmm, can't decide how I feel about this ...

:hand: :snooty: :eek: :? :x :evil:

I can go so many ways reacting this ... :D but I'm going with a big THANK YOU to the lines makers for the giving Spack some bulletin board material for the team. :naughty:

DannyCooksey

Thinking with my heart......I'm offended by a 14 point line.

Thinking with my head...........it sounds about right.

Birds will have to play their best game since the Eastern Washington playoff game in '14 to win.

No turnovers. less than 3 penalties. a big play on ST and we have a chance.

Hamdonger

Sanantoniobird said:
lakesbison said:
welcome to Fargo.

Seriously? You come here every year (very cool) and our coach has been here 10 years and you can’t get the spelling right? You never see us spell Coach Bohl’s name wrong?

Whoa! Not a big deal! Easy does it, cowboy!

jbird

fourthandshort said:

Seriously, nothing special yet on their fan board ... best line, which I thought was pretty funny:

"Is this going to be a standard length game? Or has Spack requested more time so they don't run out?"

Not one of Spack's finer moments after we lost Natty when he admitted to press he had just told his team .. "we didn't lose, we just ran out of time". He must have had his "dad hat" on when he said it. Uh, we lost .. clock didn't even run out on us .. Roberson had hit backup TE with pass over middle and he got stripped, so NDSU had ball to run out clock, not us.

Lead up to game should be more interesting than usual ... but can't wait for game Saturday at 2:30 CST.

You can never assume that something that happens at one point in the game decided the outcome, because had the first thing not happened the remainder of the game might have been coached and played differently (for example, more up tempo if trailing). Having said that, one play that I can't forget in a 2 point National Championship loss is..........after winning the coin toss an deferring to get the second half kickoff.......... we did not field the second half kickoff and it was recovered as an onside kick by the Bizon at around our 30 yard line; they converted that short field gift into a field goal, and we lost by 2.

fourthandshort

jbird said:
fourthandshort said:

You can never assume that something that happens at one point in the game decided the outcome, because had the first thing not happened the remainder of the game might have been coached and played differently (for example, more up tempo if trailing). Having said that, one play that I can't forget in a 2 point National Championship loss is..........after winning the coin toss an deferring to get the second half kickoff.......... we did not field the second half kickoff and it was recovered as an onside kick by the Bizon at around our 30 yard line; they converted that short field gift into a field goal, and we lost by 2.
That is painful memory. What made it even worse was how much dumb luck played into a bad kickoff being hard to field, our guy lost his balance on the bad hop/roll ... and couldn't even lunge for ball. I'm not even sure they kicked it like that on purpose because it could have gone out of bounds and come out to 35. But defense held them to FG on that I think ... but yes, we lost by 2.

Chi-bird

40.5? I''ll take the over. Stick hasn't had to win a game for the Bison yet, but I think he might have to throw more than 15-20 times in this one. It's his scrambling that worries me.

I'm thinking this one will be closer to 27-17 or 27-20, Bison.

Sanantoniobird

Humdinger said:
Sanantoniobird said:
lakesbison said:
welcome to Fargo.

Whoa! Not a big deal! Easy does it, cowboy!
Obviously an attempt at humor Humdinger; lakebison is a good dude, and Bohl left for “ greener pastures “ years ago.

Top Bottom