South Dakota State-Yes
South Dakota-Yes
North Dakota State-Yes
North Dakota-Yes
Southern Illinois-Probably
Northern Iowa-Probably Not
Youngstown State-Probably Not

How many get in, and which ones?

Northern Iowa only has 6 Wins, but did not play one OOC cupcake. They played Iowa State (L), Weber State (L), Idaho State (W) in their OOC schedule. They have a Win against Youngstown State & North Dakota. Probably should have played Dayton or Lindenwood in place of Iowa State or Weber State. Sad that they will probably be punished for that.

Youngstown State has 7 Wins, but 2 were against Valparaiso & Robert Morris. They have a Win over Southern Illinois and a Loss to Northern Iowa.

Southern Illinois has 7 Wins, there OOC games were against Northern Illinois (W), Austin Peay (W), Southeast Missouri State (W), but lost to Youngstown State.

I would set up one of those poll thread things, but that is above my skill level.

Last edited by a moderator:

fdbird83

South Dakota State-Yes
South Dakota-Yes
North Dakota State-Yes
North Dakota-Yes
Southern Illinois-Probably
Northern Iowa-Probably Not
Youngstown State-Probably Not

How many get in, and which ones?

Northern Iowa only has 6 Wins, but did not play one OOC cupcake. They played Iowa State (L), Weber State (L), Idaho State (W) in their OOC schedule. They have a Win against Youngstown State & North Dakota. Probably should have played Dayton or Lindenwood in place of Iowa State or Weber State. Sad that they will probably be punished for that.

Youngstown State has 7 Wins, but 2 were against Valparaiso & Robert Morris. They have a Win over Southern Illinois and a Loss to Northern Iowa.

Southern Illinois has 7 Wins, there OOC games were against Northern Illinois (W), Austin Peay (W), Southeast Missouri State (W), but lost to Youngstown State.

I would set up one of those poll thread things, but that is above my skill level.
When do the pairings come out?

RedbirdSoxFan

Guess Northern Iowa will need to start playing cupcakes in the non-conference. Really sucks for them.
Congratulations to former Rochester Rockets Nic Baker on his history making career @ Southern Illinois. Good luck in the playoffs.

Total Red

Staff member
Guess Northern Iowa will need to start playing cupcakes in the non-conference. Really sucks for them.
Congratulations to former Rochester Rockets Nic Baker on his history making career @ Southern Illinois. Good luck in the playoffs.
I think the selection committee got it right. The Valley deserved 6 and got 6.
Speaking from a Valley perspective, UNI didn't do what they needed to do. It's Ok to lose to other Valley schools because we say that every game is tough in the Valley. But you aren't supposed to lose to non-con FCS opponents. UNI lost by 17 at home to a rather ordinary 6-5 Weber St. team. That was worse than our 1 pt. road loss to 8-3 EIU. SIU finished behind UNI in the Valley standings, but they beat both FCS non-con opponents (Austin Peay, SEMO) as well as FBS - Northern Illinois to finish with a better overall record.
I'd say SIU was rewarded for a difficult non-con win as much as UNI was punished for losing to an FCS.

Shame the Valley and you are shunned (UNI - Ill St.) Honor the Valley and you are in - SIU.

Last edited:

RedbirdSoxFan

Speaking from a Valley perspective, UNI didn't do what they needed to do. It's Ok to lose to other Valley schools because we say that every game is tough in the Valley. But you aren't supposed to lose to non-con FCS opponents. UNI lost by 17 at home to a rather ordinary 6-5 Weber St. team. That was worse than our 1 pt. road loss to 8-3 EIU. SIU finished behind UNI in the Valley standings, but they beat both FCS non-con opponents (Austin Peay, SEMO) as well as FBS - Northern Illinois to finish with a better overall record.
I'd say SIU is rewarded for a difficult non-con win as much as much as UNI is punished for losing to a FCS.

Shame the Valley and you are shunned (UNI - Ill St.) Honor the Valley and you are in - SIU.
Not so much saying Northern Iowa was deserving to get in, only that if Northern Iowa had played Illinois State’s OOC schedule they would have been in.

ChiRedbirdfan

I'd say SIU was rewarded for a difficult non-con win as much as UNI was punished for losing to an FCS.

Thinking about your closing paragraph….had Isu defeated EIU would Isu had made the playoffs at 7-4? We would have had 7 wins but none of significance … further Isu would have been behind uni in valley standing and also lost to uni

Dmills

Thinking about your closing paragraph….had Isu defeated EIU would Isu had made the playoffs at 7-4? We would have had 7 wins but none of significance … further Isu would have been behind uni in valley standing and also lost to uni
No, I think we would've replaced EIU on the outside of the bubble. There's no way they would've put 7 MVFC teams in and we would've still been 7th on the pecking order.

cpacmel

I think if you go 7-4 in the MVFC and one of your losses is FBS, you feel really good about your chances.

I feel bad for Incarnate Word (7-2) They had another WIN that wasn't D1, and had a game canceled when Northwestern State (0-6) canceled out their season. They made it to the Semi-finals last year, losing to the Bison by 3 in Fargo.

fourthandshort

First 4 out
Ordered by record
Eastern Illinois
UT Martin
UC Davis
Holy Cross

Selection committee did a nice job overall this year. But as expected couple questionable decisions.

Biggest issue ... 9-2 NC Central did not deserve an at large bid ... zero doubt. I can find at least 8 to 10 better resumes, probably more. They played noone and put away very few bad teams on their 93rd ranked SOS. I get they can only beat the teams they play, but you should beat most of the bad teams by a lot. And if you get blown out by 30 pts against a 6-5 Howard team (Massey #72), you probably arent even a top 40 team.

Woof award goes to UC Davis .. they got a real tough break. Massey #14 playing against #22 SOS. They finished 4th in Big Sky with 7-4 (5-3) record including a win over Sacramento who finished 7-4 (4-4) for 5th in Big Sky. But Sacramento beat 3-8 Stanford (Massey #92) in week 1. Problem is, UC Davis beat Sacramento just 2 days ago by 10 .. same record overall, similar SOS overall, but not only won head to head, but finished ahead in conference .. yet Sacramento got the bid. Equal overall resumes IMO, even with FBS win, which turned out to be less impressive as season progressed. Head to head and conference finished should have given bid to UCD for sure - this one is not right.

Arguably both should have been in, giving Big Sky 5 bids .. which would have been fair IMO. UCD's 7-4 is a far better resume than NCC's 9-2.

But again, the transparency and selection results continue to improve. Always a few questionable decisions, but this year was actually pretty good even by their improved standards .. transparency has been the key. And this forces them to make cases for their picks .. which brings SOS more into equation.

Dmills

UND loses to Sacramento State 42-35 in the Alerus Center. SIU up big on Nicholls. Not much action so far in NDSU v. Drake.

Top Bottom