MVC Post-Season

ricohill

Since we didn't have a thread, figured I would start one to discuss MVC teams in post-season.

Loyola-Chicago already made a quick exit from the NIT last night.
https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2019/3/19/mens-basketball-late-rally-falls-short-in-70-61-setback-at-creighton-in-nit-first-round.aspx

Bradley having their open practice at Des Moines.
https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/status/1108409604373966848

Drake to play Friday in the CIT!!!

https://godrakebulldogs.com/news/2019/3/18/mens-basketball-accepts-cit-berth.aspx

ricohill

It will be 0-2 for sure. No idea about the exciting matchup between Drake vs Southern Utah.

SgtHulka

Last night's Loyola game was quite the walk down memory lane. McDermott, Merfeld, Lusk...

Tpguy

SgtHulka said:
Last night's Loyola game was quite the walk down memory lane. McDermott, Merfeld, Lusk...

Had an appointment with my Dentist yesterday, found out he was a Creighton grad and knew Porter.

V Boy

This will be the NCAA Tournament where everyone will be saying....”we picked Valpo over Murray St and Belmont?”

Should have lured them all and gone to 12. But nope...:everyone has their own little tiny interests and fiefdoms to protect.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it's a conference with more sports than basketball. Elgin would not be doing his job if he looked only at basketball. Yes it's important, but his job is to oversee all the sports (except football)

DWRedbird

V Boy said:
This will be the NCAA Tournament where everyone will be saying....”we picked Valpo over Murray St and Belmont?”

Should have lured them all and gone to 12. But nope...:everyone has their own little tiny interests and fiefdoms to protect.

If I'm not mistaken didn't we extend an offer to either Murray St or Belmont and they turned us down?

For what its worth I'd be all for going to 12 and adding both teams to the conference if we could.

birdlife

DWRedbird said:
V Boy said:

If I'm not mistaken didn't we extend an offer to either Murray St or Belmont and they turned us down?

For what its worth I'd be all for going to 12 and adding both teams to the conference if we could.

i would be all for adding both of them as well. sucks that we would miss Ja Morant.

i dont recall if there was ever news of an offer to either school, but i definitely remember them being on the short list.

V Boy

isuquinndog said:
Also, it's a conference with more sports than basketball. Elgin would not be doing his job if he looked only at basketball. Yes it's important, but his job is to oversee all the sports (except football)

What’s your point?

SgtHulka

V Boy said:

Just a day or 2 ago you were discounting what Loyola did in the tourney last year, but this year it now will be meaningful?

ricohill

isuquinndog said:

Basketball is the only sport that makes money. It should drive 100% of Elgin’s decisions.

Redbird28

ricohill said:
isuquinndog said:

Basketball is the only sport that makes money. It should drive 100% of Elgin’s decisions.

This is simply not true in the NCAA landscape.

"In fact, football garners more revenue than the next 35 other sports combined at Division I schools. On average, football brings in $31.9 million in revenue, while men's basketball (the second-highest grossing sport) comes in a distant second at $8.1 million. For reference, women's basketball brings in $1.8 million, while rowing brings in just $932,646." (source: https://finance.zacks.com/much-money-college-sports-generate-10346.html )

Now, if you are talking ISU specific I suppose that's possible, but I do not know what our exact figures are from the previous year.

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbird28 said:
ricohill said:
isuquinndog said:

This is simply not true in the NCAA landscape.

"In fact, football garners more revenue than the next 35 other sports combined at Division I schools. On average, football brings in $31.9 million in revenue, while men's basketball (the second-highest grossing sport) comes in a distant second at $8.1 million. For reference, women's basketball brings in $1.8 million, while rowing brings in just $932,646." (source: https://finance.zacks.com/much-money-college-sports-generate-10346.html )

Now, if you are talking ISU specific I suppose that's possible, but I do not know what our exact figures are from the previous year.

are you really mixing in FCS and FBS revenues to get averages? How many football teams, if any, make money at the FCS level???...maybe one and it would not surprise me if it where zero?

Redbird28

birdlife said:
can we not keep a single thread even remotely on topic?

Bradley hanging with Sparty right now...and not just in the who can make greater waves in the tabloids department.

ricohill

This Bradley game is sickening. I can’t stand seeing all their fans enjoy this. If ISU ever makes it again, ISU will be down 20 and I won’t even get to cheer about anything.

Redbird60451

How bout that guy who missed 2 of 3 free throws to end that New Mexico St/Auburn game. Sickening.