Mullins - SIU

ricohill

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1108385684585365504

PurpleRedbird

Color me shocked.....not. Will be interesting to see impacts to both schools recruiting classes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ricohill

PurpleRedbird said:
Color me shocked.....not. Will be interesting to see impacts to both schools recruiting classes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

and ISU's if his brother goes to SIU.

Birdman85

I have nothing bad to say about Brendan but I hope he does go with him. Our staff needs some turnover and some experience brought in.

ricohill

What will be interesting is if this doesn't work out for SIU. Their fans got everything they wanted, new AD, fired Barry, and got the coach they asked for. A lot of pressure on Mullins to come in and turn it around quickly.

ricohill

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
Maybe if Mullins takes Mullins then we take Beane and his kid.

Per the saluki board, it seems like Beane is going to have a job at SIU if he wants it.

Tpguy

We are currently looking at John Wooden's great grandson.

DannyCooksey

congrats to Bryan

loved him as a player. seems like a perfect hire for SIU. hopefully he can get them back on track.

we here at RBF reported this was going to happen weeks ago. much earlier than the folks at Disneyland despite what the they say.

cubird

AD JK said he wanted a coach that was a good fit and will have a disciplined team. BB has to be the #1 program.

jbird

Hiring a popular former player as your head coach..........what could go wrong???

SgtHulka

jbird said:
Hiring a popular former player as your head coach..........what could go wrong???

Not sure. Let's ask Jim Less And Marty

ricohill

SgtHulka said:
jbird said:

Not sure. Let's ask Jim Less And Marty

I'm sure there is an easy answer that I am missing, but when is the last time an Alum in the MVC had success as a coach (didn't get fired or on the hot seat see Muller, Dan)? Lowery won at SIU at first, destroyed the program, and got fired. Les had 1 good season. Marty had one good season where UNI beat them in the championship game.

edit: found one that would qualify - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_McDermott at UNI

ricohill

It is official.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2019/3/20/mens-basketball-bryan-mullins-named-saluki-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Mullins signed a five-year contract with the school at $475,000 per year.

I think this is a high risk, high reward hire. Will either go great or be a disaster.

Hasn't been a coach very long. Didn't even realize this until reading the bio. Just assumed he had coached longer.

"Mullins ascended to assistant coach in 2015 and associate head coach in 2018"

SgtHulka

Why fans are obsessed with bringing someone they hold precious to their home team memories back to coach and likely fail and get fired is beyond me.

ISU FAN 1

ricohill said:
It is official.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2019/3/20/mens-basketball-bryan-mullins-named-saluki-basketball-head-coach.aspx

I think this is a high risk, high reward hire. Will either go great or be a disaster.

Hasn't been a coach very long. Didn't even realize this until reading the bio. Just assumed he had coached longer.

Kind of a binary profession. Not a lot of in between in coaching tenures. That’s why coaching tenures end ... either because they were great or because they were disasters.

ricohill

ISU FAN 1 said:
ricohill said:
It is official.

Kind of a binary profession. Not a lot of in between in coaching tenures. That’s why coaching tenures end, because they were great or disasters.

I can think of one that is in between...7 years, no NCAA Tournaments, long term deal.

I 100 percent get what you are saying.

Anyway, to stay on topic this feels very risky because they are paying him about $100,000 more than Barry. I’m sure they raised some money, but this may be a sink or swim hire for SIU as important basketball revenue is to their athletic department.

ISU FAN 1

ricohill said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
ricohill said:
It is official.

Kind of a binary profession. Not a lot of in between in coaching tenures. That’s why coaching tenures end, because they were great or disasters.

I can think of one that is in between...7 years, no NCAA Tournaments, long term deal.

Anyway, to stay on topic this feels very risky because they are paying him about $100,000 more than Barry. I’m sure they raised some money, but this may be a sink or swim hire for SIU as important basketball revenue is to their athletic department.

Since Dan hasn’t done anything in 7 years worthy of moving up the coaching ladder, he’s in my disaster catergory. But he can still turn it around. It’s really all about how they leave. Fired or hired away.

Jank’s my In between. Somehow moved up without doing anything.

Reggie Redbird

ISU FAN 1 said:
ricohill said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Since Dan hasn’t done anything in 7 years worthy of moving up the coaching ladder, he’s in my disaster catergory. But he can still turn it around. It’s really all about how they leave. Fired or hired away.

Jank’s my In between. Somehow moved up without doing anything.

Jank got hired for a few reasons: he had HC experience; he was willing to leave his HC job (and got a huge raise to do so); he was clean. Similar to when KU hires Zenger after their scandal.

Top Bottom