Muller reprimanded

ISU FAN 1

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/valley-reprimands-muller-for-ripping-referee/article_74637c8b-e573-562d-aec5-6673f2d51491.html

RedbirdSoxFan

ISU FAN 1 said:
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/valley-reprimands-muller-for-ripping-referee/article_74637c8b-e573-562d-aec5-6673f2d51491.html

Where was the offensive foul when Krutwig was banging into Fayne? They better call it next Saturday.

Redbird Alum 2004

I think this was Elgin saying, "yeah he was right and it was a bad technical but in the future Dan don't say it in public."

StLRedbird

I thought Muller showed admirable restraint by not voicing frustration after the Evansville game.

chuckie1980

To think an official's action or inaction can lead to a player being injured...or a fight could break out between opponents...
To think an NFL commissioner could have a game replayed due to a blatant oversight by an official...

I force myself to shut my mouth, relax and keep the BP under control, and repeat to myself...this is only a game.

Adunk33

Staff member
RedbirdSoxFan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Where was the offensive foul when Krutwig was banging into Fayne? They better call it next Saturday.

Muller has mentioned that Krutwig is a guy that he has sent film to the head of officials on to ask what they are supposed to do to defend him. Because he is so big, he backs players down using his lower half and then if the defender tries to push back, they get called for a foul. Krutwig initiates the contact to create space but doesn't use his upper body so the refs don't call it.

Defensively, watch any time a player takes a shot in the post. He rarely leaves his feet, puts his arms straight in the air and his chest into the shooter. Since the refs are watching his arms, this contact never gets called either.

Keep an eye on these things during the next Loyola game. You won't be able to unsee it.

Muller's T was ridiculous. McCartys was less ridiculous. But if two of these things happen on the same night in different games... shouldn't Doug have a talk with his head of officials? Maybe he did, and it's not public. I know it was mentioned in another thread, but it is a bad look to fans of the conference who clearly believe there to be a problem. Doug says "there will be no further comment," just weak. Put on your big boy pants and answer some questions.

Racine Bird 3813

I never understood why coaches get in trouble for calling out officials for bad games. As a former IHSA BB ref, I know I missed calls or had a bad night, and when I missed a call believe me I would hear about from the coach. But the refs are getting paid. If a coach thinks they were awful and shares that in a post game interview....so what....

Reggie Redbird

I have seen other conferences come out and address clearly inappropriate behavior by officials. I have seen other conferences acknowledge officials miss calls that end up having a direct impact, changing the result of a game. I can’t remember seeing that happen in the MVC. Either Elgin doesn’t care and is happy collecting his paychecks to go watch b-ball games at member schools or he isn’t willing to address the officiating shortcomings.

Doug Elgin is well past his prime as a commissioner. What in the last few years has he done to improve the conference? Conference tournament attendance is down. Postseason bids are down, despite him sitting on the NIT selection committee. We have lost our “conference challenge” which got us better non-con games. I can’t think shifting games to ESPN+ has had a positive affect on our viewership - although someone correct me if I’m wrong.

His role is to generate revenue and develop an action plan to get multiple teams in the NCAA tourney. If not that, at least some representation in the NIT.

Tpguy

Racine Bird 3813 said:
I never understood why coaches get in trouble for calling out officials for bad games. As a former IHSA BB ref, I know I missed calls or had a bad night, and when I missed a call believe me I would hear about from the coach. But the refs are getting paid. If a coach thinks they were awful and shares that in a post game interview....so what....

Maybe that's why you are a former :lol:

Birdswin

That Technical was a terrible call. A ref should explain the reason for the technical at least to the Official Scorer - if there is no reason other than the Ref wants to be a Prick - which Paul Janssen is a Prick, just not a Supreme Prick like Pollard - then that needs to get reported to crowd. Refs are not held accountable.

Then we have NO one in the local media that covers ISU, ever interview the refs or the MVC Official covering the game - and really press them for answers. Or at least print or broadcast the attempt and what if any answer. If no answer - then we know we have Coward in an official capacity.

ISU FAN 1

Adunk33 said:
RedbirdSoxFan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Muller has mentioned that Krutwig is a guy that he has sent film to the head of officials on to ask what they are supposed to do to defend him. Because he is so big, he backs players down using his lower half and then if the defender tries to push back, they get called for a foul. Krutwig initiates the contact to create space but doesn't use his upper body so the refs don't call it.

Defensively, watch any time a player takes a shot in the post. He rarely leaves his feet, puts his arms straight in the air and his chest into the shooter. Since the refs are watching his arms, this contact never gets called either.

Keep an eye on these things during the next Loyola game. You won't be able to unsee it.

Muller's T was ridiculous. McCartys was less ridiculous. But if two of these things happen on the same night in different games... shouldn't Doug have a talk with his head of officials? Maybe he did, and it's not public. I know it was mentioned in another thread, but it is a bad look to fans of the conference who clearly believe there to be a problem. Doug says "there will be no further comment," just weak. Put on your big boy pants and answer some questions.
I’m sure the rules have changed in 30+ years, but I wonder if opposing coaches asked league officials how they were to play defense against Hank Cornley? Hank’s big rump backed many opponents underneath the bucket for hundreds of baskets. It’s a lot more fun when the big back side plays for the good guys.

Racine Bird 3813

Tpguy said:
Racine Bird 3813 said:

Maybe that's why you are a former :lol:

TP Guy I was actually pretty calm in my day. I only averaged 1.5 Ts per game. :lol:

stats

I've always loved good defense and help-side coming over to take a charge, but am not enjoying the new trend in college basketball of constantly trying to draw a charge from the guy you are guarding. In almost every college basketball game there are several calls that are very questionable whether it is a block or if it is a charge. There also seems to be more one on one driving to the basket and less passing. I don't see this trend ending anytime soon.

BIGfan

My dad was a referee when I was young. I remember a HS game in northern Wyoming when the crowd did not seem to like the calls. He came up in the stands at halftime and told mom to have the car running at the front door as soon as the game was over. Every time I watch a movie where the bank robbers are making a getaway I remember that night when dad came running out with his duffle bag...

birdlife

so Elgin says he "reprimanded" HCDM... with no suspension and no fine...

giphy.gif

bb fan

Whatever the conference is, you will find folks saying "the officiating in this conference is awful". So it's hardly just a Valley thing. Just yesterday I had a B10 fan say much the same as what some folks are posting here. Of course, we have posters here that think all the ills of Redbird and Valley basketball are unique just to us because we are bad at everything.

Having said that, HCDM deserved an explaination.

DoubleDeuce

bb fan said:
Whatever the conference is, you will find folks saying "the officiating in this conference is awful". So it's hardly just a Valley thing. Just yesterday I had a B10 fan say much the same as what some folks are posting here. Of course, we have posters here that think all the ills of Redbird and Valley basketball are unique just to us because we are bad at everything.

Having said that, HCDM deserved an explaination.

Spoken like a ref! :D Honestly, you have to love verbal abuse to be a ref...I know I couldn't do it.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Have refs ever been made available in college basketball? I don't ever remember getting an explanation in the press from a ref on anything. Once in a blue moon in the pros.

And while it would be nice to get an explanation, there is no rule that says the ref has to explain any thing to any one when it comes to a technical foul, I believe.

Adunk33

Staff member
isuquinndog said:
Have refs ever been made available in college basketball? I don't ever remember getting an explanation in the press from a ref on anything. Once in a blue moon in the pros.

And while it would be nice to get an explanation, there is no rule that says the ref has to explain any thing to any one when it comes to a technical foul, I believe.

I have never seen a ref make a statement or anything unless it comes via the league office/head of officials. With technical fouls, they are required to produce a written report on the instance. I would like to see, at the very least, that made public.

Top Bottom