Marty

Manchester Matt

Looks like there are two coaching vancancies in the Valley. Evansville won’t bring Marty back.

Reggie Redbird

If he's willing, I bet UE alum and former assistant Chris Hollender gets the job. He has hopped around a lot lately but so is the life of an assistant.

ISUBU

Santa Cason said:
Looks like there are two coaching vancancies in the Valley. Evansville won’t bring Marty back.
I thought it was kind of cool that one of Marty's assistant coaches at Evansville was former ISU assistant Doug Novsek. Simmons and Novsek were high school teammates (not sure how much farther back they might go) who were both all state basketball players on powerhouse Lawrenceville Illinois teams. Not many of us have the chance to work that closely with our lifelong friends. Nice while it lasted.

fdbird83

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/03/13/marty-simmons-not-expected-return-evansville-basketball-head-coach/422174002/

PurpleRedbird

fdbird83 said:
https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/03/13/marty-simmons-not-expected-return-evansville-basketball-head-coach/422174002/
Great guy who unfortunately only knows one system. 11 years without even an NIT is just too much. Hoping my alma mater makes a good hire. If it's Hollander then I like it. With what they can afford to pay not going to get much better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ISU FAN 1

Hear he may be looking into a Pizza Ranch franchise instead of coaching.

Redbirdwarrior

I like Marty quite a bit, but if ISU had the resume he has had in the last decade (0 NCAA or NIT appearances), we would have been calling for his head years ago.

I think he'll find a home coaching at a similar D1 school. Possibly in the Horizon League or thereabouts. Good luck to him!

Phantom

That sucks, I always liked Marty. His teams were always prepared and played their asses off no matter what. UE was rarely an easy out. I was really pulling for them in the MVC title game a couple years ago vs. UNI, that would've been great to see them win that one.

RBFANTOO

I wish Marty good luck in his future. Being a D1 coach is not easy. Despite his record I always thought Evansville was a very tough team to play. No easy wins over UE. :(

ISU FAN 1

TIMMY said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
Hear he may be looking into a Pizza Ranch franchise instead of coaching.
You're so clever. How do you come up with them?
Says he with the clever avatar.

Hit a little too close to home, Chubbers?

ChiRedbirdfan

Good riddance as coaches like him (Hinson too) bring entire conference down. Can certainly play ball but can not coach.

DWRedbird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Good riddance as coaches like him (Hinson too) bring entire conference down. Can certainly play ball but can not coach.

I'm not wild about his offense, but I think he is an ok coach overall. I think he would have a lot more success in a smaller conference, but that's just me. I don't mind Barry at all. I don't think he is the best coach in the conference by any means but he is a fine coach for this league, plus he is entertaining as hell.

Top Bottom