Lyons on bribery admission scandal

ISU FAN 1

“Not the norm.”

No shit. Celebs and CEOs are paying to get their dumb kids in prestigious schools, not the ISUs of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-s-lyons-says-bribery-scheme-not-the-norm/article_033e58c1-4e7a-569b-b636-4a330ddfd900.amp.html

ChiRedbirdfan

ISU FAN 1 said:
“Not the norm.”

No shit. Celebs and CEOs are paying to get their dumb kids in prestigious schools, not the ISUs of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-s-lyons-says-bribery-scheme-not-the-norm/article_033e58c1-4e7a-569b-b636-4a330ddfd900.amp.html

One of the few times Lyons is asked a question and they choose a topic that does not apply to ISU. A bit like the media asking Muller about his favorite pizza.

Morans14

ChiRedbirdfan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
“Not the norm.”

One of the few times Lyons is asked a question and they choose a topic that does not apply to ISU. A bit like the media asking Muller about his favorite pizza.
Once again....the media did not ask Dan about his favorite pizza. A fan did on the Facebook live portion of the show. These shows are not meant to be adversarial. I'm not sure why the vocal few thinks they need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PurpleRedbird

Morans14 said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
“Not the norm.”

Once again....the media did not ask Dan about his favorite pizza. A fan did on the Facebook live portion of the show. These shows are not meant to be adversarial. I'm not sure why the vocal few thinks they need to be.

I agree. These shows are intended to discuss the team and personalize the coach and players. Those wanting hard hitting questions best go look somewhere outside of college basketball.

gobirds72

Morans14 said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
“Not the norm.”

That same Coaches show session there were other questions that were basketball related that weren’t asked. If those questions are too depressing to ask, that explains why our program is in shambles.

Morans14

gobirds72 said:
Morans14 said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

That same Coaches show session there were other questions that were basketball related that weren’t asked. If those questions are too depressing to ask, that explains why our program is in shambles.
Again. These shows are not meant to be adversarial. You can always go to one of the shows and ask your probing questions in person.

gobirds72

Morans14 said:
gobirds72 said:
Morans14 said:

Again. These shows are not meant to be adversarial. You can always go to one of the shows and ask your probing questions in person.

Again, it’s perception. Do you pay a coach $600,000 to make the decisions and be a professional? Or do you protect him from criticism? You probabLy are younger than me. But, Bob Donewald use to answer the tough questions from the fans calling in. That’s what a paid professional does. You can treat it like Upward basketball or AAU. You have to decide where you want your program to go. Right now we are trending down. If the Cubs haven’t won a game all season...I would venture to say Cub fans could care less what the coach had for dinner.

ricohill

To back up to the start of this. Why is anyone asking Larry about anything right now other than when does he plan to retire?

Even though the more I think about it, a guy that employed hired his son over more qualified candidates without a search could be the expert on this subject.

gobirds72

ricohill said:
To back up to the start of this. Why is anyone asking Larry about anything right now other than when does he plan to retire?

Even though the more I think about it, a guy that employed hired his son over more qualified candidates without a search could be the expert on this subject.

We are down to the percentage of fans that are probably committed regardless of the performance. I would guess that number to be 4000 season ticket holders. A small percentage might decide to call it a day. But, the rest like the social atmosphere. They prefer to watch a little ball, converse with the friend next to them and go home and chill out. Maybe even go home and cheer for their real team. As long as that is the expectation Larry is safe. Long gone are the days where it’s expectations.

ricohill

gobirds72 said:
ricohill said:

We are down to the percentage of fans that are probably committed regardless of the performance. I would guess that number to be 4000 season ticket holders. A small percentage might decide to call it a day. But, the rest like the social atmosphere. They prefer to watch a little ball, converse with the friend next to them and go home and chill out. Maybe even go home and cheer for their real team. As long as that is the expectation Larry is safe. Long gone are the days where it’s expectations.

We don't sell 4,000 season tickets anymore. You would be surprised how many ISU employee and corporate seats we give away. It's kind of sad to talk with the people that used to go to games in the 80's and 90's and don't anymore. There was such a rabid, passionate fan base back in those days. Too many loses and burned bridges to get season ticket sales back up.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Why wouldn't the BloNo media ask the president of a four year university in their town about it? And of course, why wouldn't a thread that has very little to do with ISU and even less about the basketball program degrade into another thread about when Lyons and Muller are leaving.

At least try and hide your agendas in threads that have something to do with it.

BTbird

I don't get the criticism. That college admissions story was one of the biggest news stories yesterday and the local paper asked the local college about it. Although we are not an elite school like the one's mentioned, we are not immune to some sort of admission scandal. It's all relative.

Also, What was Dan's favorite pizza?

ricohill

isuquinndog said:
Why wouldn't the BloNo media ask the president of a four year university in their town about it? And of course, why wouldn't a thread that has very little to do with ISU and even less about the basketball program degrade into another thread about when Lyons and Muller are leaving.

At least try and hide your agendas in threads that have something to do with it.

Quinn they asked Lyons not Dietz. I think that is why it got brought up. I would understand them asking Dietz.

SgtHulka

gobirds72 said:
ricohill said:

Geez, why do you have to equate Muller to being the next Emeril Lagasse.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
ricohill said:
isuquinndog said:

Quinn they asked Lyons not Dietz. I think that is why it got brought up. I would understand them asking Dietz.
Maybe Dietz wasn't available. Also, most of the sandal has to do with coaches being paid off to take students who don't have anything to do with the sport they got a scholarship in. So yeah, it has a lot to do with athletics.

But you do you.

gobirds85

Color me stoopid, but this type of thing has been going on forever. The only reason this is news is because it involves "Hollywood types" and an incredible degree of stoopidity. If you have the $$$$ you can get your kid into pretty much any university. With the kind of $$$ these people have all you have to do is reach out to a high ranking university representative, and I do not mean the soccer coach, and find out who on campus could use a nice injection, uh, I mean donation/gift. Leave it at that. It's really not that hard.

SgtHulka

gobirds85 said:
Color me stoopid, but this type of thing has been going on forever. The only reason this is news is because it involves "Hollywood types" and an incredible degree of stoopidity. If you have the $$$$ you can get your kid into pretty much any university. With the kind of $$$ these people have all you have to do is reach out to a high ranking university representative, and I do not mean the soccer coach, and find out who on campus could use a nice injection, uh, I mean donation/gift. Leave it at that. It's really not that hard.

That's part of how the bad rich and powerful stay rich and powerful.

Fortunately, the rich and powerful people I like would NEVER do something like that though. God bless them

Hamdonger

SgtHulka said:
That's part of how the bad rich and powerful stay rich and powerful.

Fortunately, the rich and powerful people I like would NEVER do something like that though. God bless them

Yes, God bless ISUfan1. :pray: Yes.

Couldn't resist, fan1! Just messin. Feel free to fire back.

Hamdonger

Let's be straight. This board, primarily, is rumor, innuendo, gossip, and bitching. And bitching. Is what it is, which is - Entertainment.

Just like the other boards. Indicting myself here as well.

Top Bottom