ISUb @ ISUr

TreRoberson4Heisman

Interesting tidbit...

The Sycamores program has won ONE game since beating the Birds 34-31 (9/24/16). The lone win was vs. SIU 10/22/16. ISUb has lost 9 of their last 10 dating back to last year.

I think HC Brock Spack will have the squad coming out angry after last year's performance. Going to say the Birds will dominate from start to finish and win by 25+

crazzymark

like to see the option ran in the 1st half...love the D....but the offence has top come out hitting on all cylinders to move into the top 5 or top 8 in the the other poll.

ThisIsTheLineup

Indiana State always gives us fits. I think this will be a lot closer than expected. If this IS a blowout, then I will almost fully think this team is the real deal.

If anyone is out tailgating, stop by G-53 for tacos...changing it up!

Chi-bird

I think Indy State will fare better than what people on here expect. Lemonte Booker is a tough runner and dangerous off the jet sweep. Our ability to contain the edges is a key. The Sycs have a very unique offensive system, with a bunch of movement/shifting, on the line, and it all makes for a lot of confusion on defense. I expect them to catch our defense of guard a few of tines for some big running plays...again, mainly quick-hitter jet seeeps.

I also think the Sycs d-line will give us more trouble than any other team we've faced.

With that being said, I still think, we will be able take care of business and I expect another big day through the air Kolbe. I know he just had a career high in passing yards, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had another career day, yards-wise.

prediction:
Redbirds- 38
Sycs - 21

Player that shines:
Matt Swain

fourthandshort

Kolbe stats: last game this year and InSU game last year:

- MoST 2017: 24 of 32 (75%) for 312 yards, 1 TD, 1 Pick, 0 sacks, 161% QBR .. slow start, played only 3 qtrs
- InSU 2016: 25 of 32 (78%) for 258 yards, 3 TDs, 0 picks, 3 sacks, 177% QBR .. played only half the game

Common opponents this year: EIU

- ISU won 44-13 at EIU and held them to +1 total net yards on 15 of their 16 drives; ISU got 451 yards to their 117

- InSU lost 22-20 at home; InSU got just 293 yards to EIU's 278 yards

Rush to Pass Ratio:

- ISU offense 122 to 92 ... but MoST game was 30 to 34
- ISU defense 92 to 76

- InSU offense 116 to 76 .. But Liberty game was 35 to 38
- InSU defense 103 to 116 .. teams had more success passing than running against InSU

Plus this is a pay back game for us and Spack may be more inclined to make this a statement game. So I see us opening up the playbook even more than MoST game and putting on a show at home. I see us gradually pulling away all game.

Redbirds win 41- 17

p.s. I do realize I cherry picked many these stats. But my point is I think this game lends itself to strong possibility Spack and Dicken will open up the the playbook some more.

Virginia Redbird

I watched the Indiana State v. Liberty University game. It was hard to get a feel for the ISU/blues watching that game. There was not very much defense from either team and it was a pass happy game. ISU/blues had 107 net rushing yards and 436 net passing yards. The blues gave up 121 net rushing yards and 379 net passing yards to Liberty. The teams scored 2 rushing TDs each and ISU/blues had 3 passing TDs and they gave up 4 passing TDs to Liberty. Total offensive yards were ISU/blues 543 yards and Liberty 500 yards...not exactly a Defensive battle! Quite a few penalties by both teams, ISU/blues 7 for 90 yards and Liberty 7 for 89 yards. I don't see the Sycamores moving the ball very well against the Redbirds and their defense against Liberty, particularly their pass defense, was just awful. It could be a big day for Kolbe and the receiving corps and the running game should be productive as well. Redbirds by at least 21 points.

Redbird28

No more Tonyan, no problem for this stout Bird D.

Feeling good about the Birds cutting these Trees down to size at Hancock this weekend.

41-6.

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbirds avoid mindset of worrying about beating the Sycamores and they just go out and play their game. Spack also gets better at opening quarter preparation and game plan.
Halftime Redbirds up 27 - 3

Final . Redbirds win 47-10

fourthandshort

The more I thnk about this game, the more I come back to this fact ... we gave away 3 regular season games last year and lost by 3 to teams we should have beaten. It cost us playoff seeding, so we traveled to #12 UCA and gave away that game too on special teams in Q4 .. gave them 10 points plus momentum shift and still only lost by 7 on road to #12 team.

Given the gauntlet we face in our last 5 games, there is no way Spack will leave anything to chance these next 3 games, particularly this week. I think we come out more aggressive than usual .. first quarter, we may feel them out a bit. But then we will turn on the gas once we get feel for them.

Pay back time !!!!

StLRedbird

If I were a betting man, I'd take the under. Spack will remain conservative because he understands there's no reason to do otherwise. Trees play better than many expect.

Really-dirty-trees-that-make-lawncare-harder-cause-of-all-the-crap-they-drop-on-the-lawn 9
Redbirds 30

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
If I were a betting man, I'd take the under. Spack will remain conservative because he understands there's no reason to do otherwise. Trees play better than many expect.

Really-dirty-trees-that-make-lawncare-harder-cause-of-all-the-crap-they-drop-on-the-lawn 9
Redbirds 30

agree with your point and that InSU is solid, better than MoST ... ,but that leads to me to different conclusion. Last season, too many of these "semi trap" games bit us in arse playing it safe/conservative. Note how much more we passed against MoST .. I didn't see that game, but assuming MoST committed to stopping our run game, and Kolbe had a very nice day. InSU run defense is very solid - better than MoST, but their pass defense suspect. And Im thinking Spack really doesn't want a close game .. so guessing this sets up as day where we open things up.

Been wrong before, and I will be wrong again .. but just thinking, Spack and Dicken want a clear convincing win .. passing more this game will help us do that.

cpacmel

I let the experts :character-burgerking: make predictions on the final score.

I will say the last 3 times we played them the winning margins have been 3, 3, and 2 points

cpacmel

Looking like a BIG crowd....

https://twitter.com/ISURedbirdTix/status/913492619002597376

fourthandshort

Looks like a sell out ... just 24 scattered seats remain on new east side, no seats on west side. Guessing Red Alert got the student section turning out. Going to be beautiful fall day .. very sunny and high of 70 ... great day to trim the trees !!!!

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
agree with your point and that InSU is solid, better than MoST ... ,but that leads to me to different conclusion. Last season, too many of these "semi trap" games bit us in arse playing it safe/conservative. Note how much more we passed against MoST .. I didn't see that game, but assuming MoST committed to stopping our run game, and Kolbe had a very nice day. InSU run defense is very solid - better than MoST, but their pass defense suspect. And Im thinking Spack really doesn't want a close game .. so guessing this sets up as day where we open things up.

Been wrong before, and I will be wrong again .. but just thinking, Spack and Dicken want a clear convincing win .. passing more this game will help us do that.
With that said, I think he also realizes that he has the more talented team and a sellout crowd wanting to commit to this team. If he opens it up, it seems to me that it'll be because he needs to - like at Plaster.

Hancock 2.0 presents a terrific home field advantage. What a turnaround from the dreary days staring across the field at those high school bleachers. All he has to do is wait for one of his RBs to break one and then let the crowd do the rest. Or for his QB to hit someone in stride.

Here's Curt Mallory's press conf if you haven't seen it.
https://youtu.be/4oqxFxDeyPk