Indiana St. - Homecoming

Total Red

Staff member
ISU Blue is up next as they come to town for the Homecoming FB game at 2 p.m. on Saturday. The trees have yet to win in '23, but in their last two games they have played Valley opponents to the bitter end losing 30-28 and 27-20. The 27-20 loss was to N. Iowa so we should expect a close game. Indiana St. lost their starting QB (Chambers) early in the season, but as the last two scores would indicate they are very competitive with him in the lineup.
I'd like to see Mason Blakemore fully healthy. Mason only had 6 carries against SDSU. I don't think they wanted his tender shoulder taking too many hits this soon. Blakemore was often used a decoy with Annexstad faking the handoff and keeping it. Unfortunately, we don't want Zack getting hit either so he goes into a hook slide as soon as a defender gets near. That's a shame because Zack isn't frail. He's 220 lbs of strapping Norselander. Maybe in the final game at North Dakota he'll lower the shoulder and knock a DB over. I digress.
The battle of the ISU's is next. We need to pay them back for the visit here in '21. Bring home a Homecoming win in front of a big crowd.

Total Red

Staff member
Forecast is for rain and a high of 55.
Good point. If that forecast holds up this may not be a game where Zack throws the ball 35 times. Are our RB's healthy enough for a ground and pound game? Do we see Robinson and Martine?
If the game is going to be rainy and windy, do we look for an opportunity to practice outside in bad weather even though the IPF is available? I would think that you would want to simulate game conditions.

If we get rain and wind, we'll have lots of no-shows and crazzymark won't be pleased. I actually agree with him about that. If you're a football school those things don't stop fans from showing up.

Phantom

If we get rain and wind, we'll have lots of no-shows and crazzymark won't be pleased. I actually agree with him about that. If you're a football school those things don't stop fans from showing up.

Yes but that's always been consistent through the years. We really only have 3-4 games per year to capitalize on big crowds (first 2 home games, Family Weekend and Homecoming.) Bad weather keeps people home and so do the last 1-2 home games where we run into Thanksgiving break and cold.

Still have a few days. Hopefully the forecast improves.

MadBird

Forecast is for rain and a high of 55.
And you forgot to mention - my National Weather Service forecast says northwest winds at 16-20 mph, gusting to 29 mph! So a little slap in the face for the fans in the east side stands to go with your rain. Altho my forecast says precip amounts less than a tenth of an inch, so not really a gully washer.

Agree we can hope for forecast updates, let's hope the system moves a little faster and pulls out by 2pm.

I haven't missed many homecomings over the years, my old roommate Larry and I have just made it a point to come down. And while I'd rather see SIU or WIU as the opponent, I always like to see the Birds crap on ISU Blue due to an incident that occurred over in Terre Haute during my undergrad days - frat rats dancing on my beloved 67 Barracuda outside that miserable excuse for a football stadium they have! Stick it to them Birds!! :mad:

DaveBird10

Good point. If that forecast holds up this may not be a game where Zack throws the ball 35 times. Are our RB's healthy enough for a ground and pound game? Do we see Robinson and Martine?
If the game is going to be rainy and windy, do we look for an opportunity to practice outside in bad weather even though the IPF is available? I would think that you would want to simulate game conditions.

- If the forecasts holds up ill be there, I won't enjoy it but ill be there.

Total Red

Staff member
And you forgot to mention - my National Weather Service forecast says northwest winds at 16-20 mph, gusting to 29 mph! So a little slap in the face for the fans in the east side stands to go with your rain. Altho my forecast says precip amounts less than a tenth of an inch, so not really a gully washer.

Agree we can hope for forecast updates, let's hope the system moves a little faster and pulls out by 2pm.

I haven't missed many homecomings over the years, my old roommate Larry and I have just made it a point to come down. And while I'd rather see SIU or WIU as the opponent, I always like to see the Birds crap on ISU Blue due to an incident that occurred over in Terre Haute during my undergrad days - frat rats dancing on my beloved 67 Barracuda outside that miserable excuse for a football stadium they have! Stick it to them Birds!! :mad:
It's time for Coach Spack to break out the "Win one for the Barracuda" pregame pep talk.

crazzymark

Go you damn Redbirds and win this game. Regardless that 70% of the season ticket holders will not show up. Rather than trying to mark up your ticket price to sell, just give them to people that have a love for ISU football and want to be in attendance, so it is a real sellout.🤔😃👍

Virginia Redbird

I always considered weather to just be part of the game, part of the ambiance. I spent a whole lot of Sunday afternoons in the stands of Soldier Field (and Wrigley a couple times thanks to Dad) enjoying the variety of seasonal weather patterns folks come to expect in Northern Illinois. Well, saying enjoying may be going too far but you just dress for it! I never minded the cold so much but when it gets wet, that just makes everything more difficult. Still, part of the experience of being a football fan. Wind and rain? That is what gore tex is for! Good luck with the weather on Saturday!

Hamdonger

I always like to see the Birds crap on ISU Blue due to an incident that occurred over in Terre Haute during my undergrad days - frat rats dancing on my beloved 67 Barracuda outside that miserable excuse for a football stadium they have! Stick it to them Birds!! :mad:
Well now that you've told us about it...we cannot let this slide. This...demands...a...retaliation. Or we're nothin' but the nerdbirds they say we are.

MadBird

Thanks for your support for my "beloved" Barracuda. Bought from HS wrestling coach. I'll admit tho, it was "baby blue", altho not as "baby" as when my brother had it painted after I handed it down to him!! Somewhat more of a turquoise. But not what I'd call a "tough" color.

fourthandshort

Wow, that's flattery. If I was a betting man I'd take a piece of ISU Blue on that one.
Wow .. I can see 21 as the top end of the range. Weather won't make it any easier for big margin. I would think 10 to 14 pt win .. say 27 - 14 ish. Their QB is back and is this is 2nd week back.

isuphloyd

If anyone wants to dump tickets because of weather fears, look my way. I will be making my return for the first time this year and a very good possibility we will see the return of my former tailgating parter and guy I sat next to for every home game of the 98 basketball season, PC.

Phantom

Slight improvement in the forecast, depending how you look at it. Now saying rain tapers off around 10am and then its just cloudy and windy the rest of the afternoon. Good football weather if that holds true.

Top Bottom