Illini LB Tre Watson and OL Megginson - transferring where ??

fourthandshort

This deserves its own thread .. so copying my post from Offseason Wishlist thread and scoop from Madbird about 3 Illini transfers looking for new program.

LB Tre Watson was good starter, entering his 5th year next fall .. maybe he saw what BJ Bello did after just 1 year here. I'll take him in a second. He would have been on roster with Bello for 2014 and 2015, before Bello transferred to ISU for 2016 ... there is no way he didn't notice Bello making Browns active roster after riding bench for 4 years at U of I, and getting just 1 year at ISU to make his mark.

Plus Nate Palmer another Illini to ISU transfer in NFL. Plus Shelby Harris, a Wisconsin transfer to ISU in NFL. Plus Mike Liedtke, a WMU transfer to ISU in NFL.

Watson does not appear to have caused any problems .. hoping Spack and Nowinsky are getting a good look and in the hunt. Get him here for spring ball !!!!

The OL Gabe Megginson (6'5" 305 lbs) was all state, 4 star HS recruit, has 2 years to play .. started 6 games as RS FR and 2 games as SO .. mostly at guard, but also some tackle.

Punter Bryce Baringer is also leaving Illini .. not sure if he can punt or not, but he wants to be a teacher ... so .. uh .. welcome to ISU, one of the best universities for developing teachers in country.

I'll take all 3 for spring ball !!!

McHalesNavy

This is great. Doubt we get the package deal with all three, but I would NOT complain about Watson and Megginson. Plus, they wouldn't be much a drive from seeing all their friends in C-U and the move woul0d be a breeze. Win-win, amiright?

JHBird

Wilton Speight, QB from Michigan, is transferring somewhere too. I think we could use a QB next year. He's a big guy that can take a hit in the pocket...perfect for our team. Not much of a running threat though...

fourthandshort

Watson is from Florida, but already lasted 4 years in Illinois .. 3 star out of HS and FL level talent.

Megginson is from Illinois, so he was already fine with upper midwest weather .. 4 star ... and mid west "corn fed" big guy !!!

cubird

They could enroll for the spring semester and be ready for spring ball.

Reggie Redbird

JHBird said:
Wilton Speight, QB from Michigan, is transferring somewhere too. I think we could use a QB next year. He's a big guy that can take a hit in the pocket...perfect for our team. Not much of a running threat though...

Speight's brother is a preferred walk-on for Michigan. I wonder if that would be a package deal for a school? However, if he's a grad transfer, I could see him going to an FBS school somewhere.

As far as the Illini guys, OL and WR are huge positions we need to bolster for next year. So is DL and secondary. Is Watson someone that would come in as a pass rusher? If Watson is someone who would come in and make such a difference on defense, that's one thing. However, LB is our strength. A full court press on someone like Megginson would be huge though if he could come in and bolster the OL. We would also get him closest to home.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
Maybe of more interest to us from the Gophers transfer list is WR Rashad Still, who would have one more year of eligibility.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rashad_still_950240.html

Spotty production over his time at UM, not sure what the issue is. Only two catches this year, but fairly decent contributions first two years. Wasn't interested in "rowing the boat"??
Fleck style is not for everyone .. very gung go (i.e. row the boat) nd the whole charisma thing is a bit much for some people. I'm sure Fleck came in and there was some culture shock that could turn some off ... add losing to this formula and it can be tougher to buy all in for some players. Spack is much more down to earth and can get away with what he demands. Fleck style may annoy some.

Redbird28

Posted in a different thread so I thought I'd move it here.

Regarding Watson: He has a brother on the NDSU roster so I'd guess if he's going somewhere FCS it might be there to make it easier on mom when traveling from Tampa. If he doesn't go there then I'd guess back down to the Florida area to an FBS to finish out his college career.

Tre is a really good kid, with an NFL Dad pedigree in his blood. Getting him would be huge, but I don't expect it to happen.

dpdoughbird06

Redbird28 said:
Posted in a different thread so I thought I'd move it here.

Regarding Watson: He has a brother on the NDSU roster so I'd guess if he's going somewhere FCS it might be there to make it easier on mom when traveling from Tampa. If he doesn't go there then I'd guess back down to the Florida area to an FBS to finish out his college career.

Tre is a really good kid, with an NFL Dad pedigree in his blood. Getting him would be huge, but I don't expect it to happen.

Probably harder for us to land a grad transfer since he's free to play anywhere next year. Bison really don't need more good fortune. Hopefully if he's going FCS Tre will want to stay within an hour of friends where the weather is far more temperate and continue to play football outdoors.

A call to/from BJ Bello can only help...

dpdoughbird06

Also: non-stop flights from CIRA to Clearwater, if his family has sufficient means to take advantage...

Hamdonger

fourthandshort said:
MadBird said:
Maybe of more interest to us from the Gophers transfer list is WR Rashad Still, who would have one more year of eligibility.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rashad_still_950240.html

Spotty production over his time at UM, not sure what the issue is. Only two catches this year, but fairly decent contributions first two years. Wasn't interested in "rowing the boat"??
Fleck style is not for everyone .. very gung go (i.e. row the boat) nd the whole charisma thing is a bit much for some people. I'm sure Fleck came in and there was some culture shock that could turn some off ... add losing to this formula and it can be tougher to buy all in for some players. Spack is much more down to earth and can get away with what he demands. Fleck style may annoy some.

BS, my friend. You get a taste of that culture, and everything from that point on is spoiled in comparison. Incredible leader of young men. He INSPIRES players to play at another level. When they don't, he is ballsy enough to hold their butts accountable. Only my opinion, brother!

MadBird

Humdinger said:
I know I'm pathetic, can't help myself. Tremendous fan of Fleck.

Yes, maybe, I want to like him, but a lot of it seems like BS to me. The running out with the team from the tunnel, the chest bumping on the sidelines, etc. etc. The boat that rowed to 9-4 last year only rowed to 5-7 this year, lots of disappointed folks in Gopherland. Didn't inspire everyone on the team apparently. Granted, every team is a new one. We'll see how it goes.

RedbirdSF67

Fleck is awesome, he inspires those kids and holds them accountable. How can that not be a great thing?

Slightly disappointing season for the Gophers this year, but I bet he'd take that in first year of rebuilding.

Similar to Matt Campbell, another young inspiring guy at Iowa State's first year, look what they've done this year..

Correction on his record last year, the Broncos were 13-1 losing a close game in their Bowl game.

Hamdonger

MadBird said:
Humdinger said:

Yes, maybe, I want to like him, but a lot of it seems like BS to me. The running out with the team from the tunnel, the chest bumping on the sidelines, etc. etc. The boat that rowed to 9-4 last year only rowed to 5-7 this year, lots of disappointed folks in Gopherland. Didn't inspire everyone on the team apparently. Granted, every team is a new one. We'll see how it goes.

It's a COMPLETE culture change, my Red Madbird.. It involves a whole lot more than football. It incorporates the community, service from a genuine perspective, serving one another on the team...a collective synergy that encompasses the entire football community - and beyond.

Somewhat disappointing results this year, but I don't think anyone is super surprised. He's getting great recruits and that program is gonna be a legitimate force. But if for some reason it doesn't happen, those players (and coaches) will walk away with a lifechanging experience that will stay with them...well, for a lifetime. And it will spur them to success in their personal lives. With a servant's heart and a kickass attitude and drive. They will see the world different. (if they so choose)

What a leader of young men. Just a fantastic leader of people in general.

JMO!

(I still crack up at that mad bird throwing the remote through the TV.)

Reggie

Watson is not transferring down a level. He can play right away at the FBS level, and he will likely have plenty of choices. He is a good player at that level, not stuck behind guys on the depth chart.

Megginson needs to transfer down though, or lose a year.

fourthandshort

Just saying, Flecks style is not for everyone. He lays it on real thick and borders on drinking the kool aid in a way that can turn some athletes off. Like I said, it's not for everyone. Just like Spack is not for everyone.

Virginia Redbird

Humdinger said:

You can't tell from just one year the impact Fleck will have on the Gopher program. I am not a huge fan of the antics he is prone to. It appeals to some and not to others. Same with Harbaugh and a bunch of other coaches. It is not unusual for players to begin to leave when a new coach takes over the helm. They were recruited by someone else and with a different philosophy. Fleck has a great resume but his approach will not mesh with everyone. Growing pains right now for the Gophers. Another couple years and we will have a better idea of how things work out.

Top Bottom