Hawkins looking at Gonzaga and New Mexico

B

BirdGrad2011

Don't buy him fitting in at Gonzaga. Talent is there, but the off the court stuff...

Reggie Redbird

I think Hawkins could be a good get for any program with an open scholarship looking for a stretch 4. He will come in with the ability to score maybe 8-10-12 PPG and play some defense on bigger guys. He also has the potential to have a game where he shoots 6-7 from 3. Maybe you'd see a couple of those on a year. You are right, he's a risk with his past behavior issues. The reason I saw BC after him was that they need to win. Jim Christian is likely to get fired unless he puts up a winning season. He's 29-67 through three years and 6-48 in the ACC. BC hasn't been relevant since Al Skinner.

Bdub777

I thought he'd committed to BC. Did that fall through or was it never official?

CB2K

With better talent on the team he chooses, such as Gonzaga, it could open up things even more for him to be productive. However, it also opens him up to greater defensive pressure from higher caliber opponents and could expose some of his weaknesses. I thought Zeisloft played better at Indiana because he was surrounded by better personnel but he couldn't do some of things he got by with when he was at ISU.

Bird Friend

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status/883348669122043904

Academic issues?

Redbirdfan21

Bird Friend said:

Academic issues?

I wonder if that's an assumption due to some teams staying away. The guy has a 50/50 shot if he just guessing. Grades or off the court issues. He wasn't academically eligible to play D1 out of high school. He was suspended more than once with us. 50/50 shot...

BTbird

Bird Friend said:

Academic issues?

You don't hear that about a graduate transfer too often?

ISU FAN 1

Bird Friend said:

Academic issues?
Great plug for ISU ... our graduates have academic issues.

reggieman

From Spokane press
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jul/17/illinois-state-grad-transfer-deontae-hawkins-says-/

And for lack of anywhere else to put this, Taylor Bruninga named All State in baseball
http://www.pantagraph.com/intercity-trio-heads-area-s-all-state-baseball-picks/article_197b132a-e71c-5b00-9b9a-16e0746766d7.html

Joe_Y

Do you think if we made it to the ncaa tourney, we'd be a destination and not a stepping stone for these guys? I still think that DH's punishment/agreement with Muller was that he was done after this season, but maybe Mikyle would have stayed. I think just getting in once would change the course of transfers of our best players.

DWRedbird

Joe_Y said:
Do you think if we made it to the ncaa tourney, we'd be a destination and not a stepping stone for these guys? I still think that DH's punishment/agreement with Muller was that he was done after this season, but maybe Mikyle would have stayed. I think just getting in once would change the course of transfers of our best players.

I agree that I think Hawkins's punishment was that last year was his last year as a bird...but I think if we had made the tourney MM doesn't grade transfer. I think he made a great move going where he went, but I think he would have stuck around if we had made the dance.

ChiRedbirdfan

Joe_Y said:

Winning alone, ala last year, is not going to keep good players at ISU if they are talented enough to play at a higher level, especially if they have redshirted. ISU getting to the NCAA tourney and winning a few games combined with ISU raising the profile of their basketball program should eliminate most of the lure of going to higher profile programs/conferences. Working against ISU retaining their talented players is the ongoing decline/demise of the MVC and the revenue growth of the major conferences. Muller has his work cut out regarding retaining talent as how does one convince a kid to pass up the chance to player at a higher level with more fandom when playing sports at the highest level with bright lights is all they seem to desire/care about. I am not certain there is an answer to that question. A split in Div 1 college basketball similar to FBS/FCS doesn't seem far-fetched anymore due to the revenue disparity.

ISU needs to get itself into money game of college sports as there is a lot of it out there. I thought it was mind-boggling that the big ten conference was going to be paying each member university $32.1 million beginning this year. That did not last long as they are increasing the payout to $51.1 million beginning in 2018 due to strong revenue growth. There is no way ISU is going to be able to compete with any big ten member (or other major conferences) long term unless something material chances at ISU. I was part of the bandwagon that wanted changes at ISU sports to move it forward. I am starting to realize it is most likely too late (due to huge money disparity) to make a meaningful change so ISU sports as we know it is ISU sports of the future.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/20/pac-12/

As for Hawkins those that speculate that Muller may have had enough I believe they are likely right. If that is the case I support Muller as we have a lot of young/new players on this team and having a 24/25 year old veteran that has shown he is a bit of a rebel leading a group of 18/19 year olds is far from ideal. I hope Hawkins ends up where he can be happy and it is a win win for both him and ISU.

Bird Friend

MJ_Durk said:
I still for some reason have a small feeling he isn't going anywhere
Well if he doesn't graduate, he isn't going anywhere, including here, if I'm not mistaken.

Bird Friend

@ChiRedbirdfan, I've been saying for a while that FCS is coming to basketball. The P5's plus a few others have too much money at stake on the table. They're going to demand ways to get more revenue, and that isn't going to be by playing CUSA, MWC, or MVC teams . . . In the long run, I'm not even sure it'll include playing AAC or A10 teams. That money cab only fits so many riders.

Top Bottom