Hardly Normal Night

ricohill

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/11/2/mens-basketball-illinois-state-to-host-hardly-normal-night-against-florida-gulf-coast.aspx

New alternate uniforms for FGCU.

I can't have it both ways, because I've been critical of ISU not doing anything to get fans to games, but hard for me to get on the DJ and beach theme at a college basketball game bandwagon.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I'm not sure how it will be executed. My guess is poorly BUT they are on the right track. Good for them. They will get it eventually.

That will be fun. I am glad they are trying something. I hope the students are attentive and help make the atmosphere great.

Atrey22

WeLoveTheBirds said:
That will be fun. I am glad they are trying something. I hope the students are attentive and help make the atmosphere great.

:text-+1:

ricohill

It's not an ISU issue, but a TV issue. Wish the game was 7 instead of 6. It seems like that 1 hour kills attendance. Hope we come out and play well so people want to come back.

B

BirdGrad2011

Don’t care about most of that but let’s see these alternates.

Morans14

isuquinndog said:
Better to try and fail than to not try at all.
Exactly! I love how they are trying new ideas to improve the game experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10kinmidwest

I am excited to read about the adjustments being brought into the game day experience. last February I had the opportunity to attend my first Arizona State basketball game. I entered the arena skeptical of seeing a DJ warming up the crowd however it grew on me quickly. It brought a certain level of energy to the home crowd in addition complimented by the pyrotechnics that accompanied the starting lineup. It may seem overboard to the traditionalists but I justified it as a much milder take on what has been introduced down the road at Grand Canyon University. I intend to check out one of their games this year as the atmosphere is intriguing but sounds more frat party and less college basketball.

Phantom

Agreed the 6pm start time sucks. Too early for a lot of people who live a ways away, unless they leave work/other commitments early.

It's great they are trying to liven things up. Students in particular and attendance in general always has, and always will, be up when we are winning. There's a good amount of buzz about this team and that will help from the start. Then capitalize on that with fun/quirky new gameday ideas like this...and then win...and suddenly we have big crowds regularly again.

Anyone remember 2009 for example? That was nice. Tons of hype coming into that season, we started 14-0, had three sellouts (including one over Xmas break which was unheard of) and averaged over 8700 in conference games. I think the smallest crowd we had that year for a conference game was vs. UE on NYE and had like 7200. All four student sections were full every game. We can get there again.

Hamdonger

https://youtu.be/FD2qrBRy84k

I definitely like it, hope the word gets to the student base. Repeatedly.

LOVE the drumline energy.

TheTruth

Redbird222 said:
https://twitter.com/RedAlertISU/status/1058821436909985794?s=19

As a reformed former "Never Heiner", let me just say I really like this.

DannyCooksey

Outstanding. I know next to nothing about social media but this seems like a great use of it

Redbird Alum 2004

For what it's worth I shared this with one of my employees that goes to ISU. Her and her friends have never been to game and they are seniors. They all started sharing the goredbirds article and are excited for the game.

Reggie Redbird

Phantom said:
Agreed the 6pm start time sucks. Too early for a lot of people who live a ways away, unless they leave work/other commitments early.

It's great they are trying to liven things up. Students in particular and attendance in general always has, and always will, be up when we are winning. There's a good amount of buzz about this team and that will help from the start. Then capitalize on that with fun/quirky new gameday ideas like this...and then win...and suddenly we have big crowds regularly again.

Anyone remember 2009 for example? That was nice. Tons of hype coming into that season, we started 14-0, had three sellouts (including one over Xmas break which was unheard of) and averaged over 8700 in conference games. I think the smallest crowd we had that year for a conference game was vs. UE on NYE and had like 7200. All four student sections were full every game. We can get there again.

1.) We don't have great attendance if the game is at 7, 8, or 9 either. If you hold it 7 or after, some people away will complain they get home too late.

2.) These times appear to be all about TV. ESPN calling the shots on a lot of our game times is the downside to having our games available around the world.

3.) Hopefully he students show up. If you can get dorm floors and Greek houses to come, that helps.

Top Bottom