Davontae Harris

Birdfan 4Life

Projected the No. 11 CB in the upcoming 2018 Draft, 5th Rd projection, highest FCS rated player.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=CB&draftyear=2018&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC&startspot=10

Nice write up in the Pantagraph about Harris and So. CB Willie Edwards
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-cornerback-harris-emerging-as-pro-prospect/article_627fd80c-fca9-5dbc-99a2-e9285740e8a3.html

Keep it up Davontae :clap: :clap: and the rest of the Redbird Defense!!

DannyCooksey

Birdfan 4Life said:
Projected the No. 11 CB in the upcoming 2018 Draft, 5th Rd projection, highest FCS rated player.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=CB&draftyear=2018&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC&startspot=10

Nice write up in the Pantagraph about Harris and So. CB Willie Edwards
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-cornerback-harris-emerging-as-pro-prospect/article_627fd80c-fca9-5dbc-99a2-e9285740e8a3.html

Keep it up Davontae :clap: :clap: and the rest of the Redbird Defense!!

good find B4L

The pick Davontae had last week was awesome. he baited the QB into thinking he could make that throw and then in a flash he closed the gap and picked it. That was an NFL type pick. I think he has an excellent chance to be the next Bird that gets drafted.

Total Red

Staff member
I had a different take on the Harris INT against Indiana St. I think Harris was hoping to jump on a shorter route and got beat when the receiver went by him. He had just enough make up speed to recover and make the pick. That was a close call and it may not have served him well.

Most corners have to play behind the receiver * and concede the 7-8 yard sideline pattern. If the QB can fire a quick accurate strike to the sideline and the receiver holds on it's a completion. RBF.net will howl that we can't cover anybody but that's the way most teams and most corners handle that play. Harris is really good but maybe not as good as he thought. Against an outstanding QB/WR for NAU I think he was still trying to sit on the short route and thought he could get deep if the receiver went by him. He couldn't. He may need to size up the competition better and reevaluate how he covers the really good ones.

* now I say concede but in reality all kinds of things can go wrong.
Bad pass, bad catch, good hit after catch jars it loose, pass deflected at the line, holding call, blitz for sack. Heck some teams even have trouble with the center snap - like that would ever happen. Bottom-line Harris doesn't have to be the star. Don't get beat deep. Play behind the receiver and maybe just maybe choose one or two times a game to try to jump a route.

bluejay

Definitely a bad game for Harris. Way too many positive plays for NAU on his side of field. Harris please take air out of head and concentrate on OUR season. If he's a draft pick, what does that make #3 from NAU?

TreRoberson4Heisman

I have the kool aid set way off to the side on Harris. I think his draft stock is based on projectables and measurables. Any high-level FCS QB exposes him (Richmond, NAU, etc.)

Hopefully he gets drafted, but the Redbird kool aid shouldn’t get their hopes high especially once South Dakota comes to town.

Chi-bird

As bad as it was for Harris, he was on an island all alone the entire game with zero help from the safety. He was on that island because he's a damn good player.

fourthandshort

Agree woth chibird .. that WR is very good and they had nothing else working the entire 1st half. Harris may have under estimated him .. but NAU was playing with nothing to lose going into this game. And as lame as this may sound, maybe the elevation got to Harris. It seemed like our defense lost gas as game wore on and our offense didn't do their part to sustain some drives .. our run game should have been better and allowed our defense to get more rest playing at 7000 foot elevation. NAU is used to it, we were not. Spack tried to play it down as no factor .. I hope that was just pyschologic thing and that he adjusted game plan for this .. if not, this one is one Spack and coaches for not preparing for this. While our defense was outstanding the 1st half .. they did break down 2nd half. Again what Spack said publicly about elevation not being an issue .. I hope was just for effect .. and that he did account for it in game planning and rotations.

Reporter told Cookus how many yards he passed for .. c
Cookus was stunned and said no way .. their defense was unbelievably good. Cookus felt the pressure and beating we gave him .. but lost track of how many great throws he made and that our pass defense ran out of gas. Run defense held them to 7 yards until last series when they picked few run yards when game was lost. Pass defense was rough for most of 1st had but clearly broke down and NAU played with lot of energy and nothing to lose.

JHBird

I think altitude is a big factor. I just ran a race out in South Dakota (elevation 5 to 6,000 ft). I did way worse than expected. I thought I was in shape, but little fat girls were passing me (no offense to anyone). Had to be the altitude, had to be, had to be ... right?

Birdfan 4Life

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/davontae-harris/

From August 25th, found it fascinating that he bought one of his teammates mom's a plane ticket to watch her son play for the first time on Senior Day (I'm guessing last year). Davontae has a lot of character, rooting for him to stick in the NFL!

DannyCooksey

Birdfan 4Life said:
https://twitter.com/redbirdfb/status/935237553057353728
Also, congrats to Davontae on being invited to play in the East-West Shrine game!

A tremendous opportunity for Davontae. Not only practicing all week against great competition but this week and the actual game presents an opportunity to be invited to the Senior Bowl if he plays well.

Congrats and well deserved. Best of luck to #10!

Birdfan 4Life

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/11/30/football-harris-accepts-invite-to-play-in-east-west-shrine-game.aspx
Joins Chad Pegues (1998) and Boomer Grigsby (2004) as the 3rd Redbird to play in this game.

DannyCooksey

Walter football is a decent NFL draft prospect site. Davontae makes his debut as their 23rd ranked corner:

Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2018): 3-5.
12/9/17: Harris impressed scouting sources this season and will play at the East-West Shrine in January. The 6-foot, 205-pounder has good size and some movement skills. In 2017, Harris totaled 57 tackles with two interceptions, 14 passes broken up, two sacks and 4.5 tackles for a loss. He could rise off a strong week in St. Petersburg.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018CB.php#ixzz50zZiN5Ch

Total Red

Staff member
I wish Davontae continued success at the professional level after his largely unappreciated career at Illinois State. Another thing to note on Harris is that he was usually covering the opponents best receiver so he was frequently targeted. That assignment will now fall to Willie Edwards so go ahead and get him lined up in your crosshairs. Edwards is a good corner but he will be get beat by good throws by QB's and good receivers just like Davontae.

varedbird

I hope he makes it! Thatd be cool. He had a great senior season!
In my opinion.. behind qb- corner is the hardest position to play!
Especially on this team. When the safeties are rarely allowed to play their positions.
Corners are left alone alot... way too much..

So congrats to Harris for a great 4 years.. Good db coaches!

Reggie

I wonder if some teams would look to move him to safety. I think Harris could transition well to safety. He has good ball skills and is a willing tackler.

fourthandshort

Reggie said:
I wonder if some teams would look to move him to safety. I think Harris could transition well to safety. He has good ball skills and is a willing tackler.

I assume he would have to put on some weight .. his frame is little thin for next level safety. But I bet he would do well. He'll also do well on special teams .. he runs a 4.53 which is good, not great, except he seems to have very good game speed and burst.

Going to be interesting to see how he does .. and if it exposes our cover schemes and techniques as a problem when we play strong pocket passing systems.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
Reggie said:

I assume he would have to put on some weight .. his frame is little thin for next level safety. But I bet he would do well. He'll also do well on special teams .. he runs a 4.53 which is good, not great, except he seems to have very good game speed and burst.

Going to be interesting to see how he does .. and if it exposes our cover schemes and techniques as a problem when we play strong pocket passing systems.

To be clear---that 4.53 time is an estimated guess. No official times are on this site until after the combine and/or private workout. I am not sure if they do 40 times during the E-W Shrine practices.

I am thinking with workouts designed to have the best 40 time possible leading up to personal testing that Davontae will run closer to 4.4 than 4.53. I also think his arm measurements will be key to staying at corner. He's at least 5'11 if not 6'0 and if his arms are 32"+ then there are a lot of teams that will like him as a press man corner at the next level.

To me his draft status will be dependent on 4 things:

1---his hips---can he turn and run quickly and with fluid movement?
2---straight line speed---the 40 time will be crucial for him.
3--his height---if he measures at least 5'11 (which i think he will) he's good
4---arm length---longer arms=better ability to press and cover down the field to fight for the ball

If he does well on these 4 aspects I could see him go as high as the 3rd round because he checks all the other boxes IMO.

fourthandshort

DannyCooksey said:
fourthandshort said:
Reggie said:

To be clear---that 4.53 time is an estimated guess. No official times are on this site until after the combine and/or private workout. I am not sure if they do 40 times during the E-W Shrine practices.

I am thinking with workouts designed to have the best 40 time possible leading up to personal testing that Davontae will run closer to 4.4 than 4.53. I also think his arm measurements will be key to staying at corner. He's at least 5'11 if not 6'0 and if his arms are 32"+ then there are a lot of teams that will like him as a press man corner at the next level.

To me his draft status will be dependent on 4 things:

1---his hips---can he turn and run quickly and with fluid movement?
2---straight line speed---the 40 time will be crucial for him.
3--his height---if he measures at least 5'11 (which i think he will) he's good
4---arm length---longer arms=better ability to press and cover down the field to fight for the ball

If he does well on these 4 aspects I could see him go as high as the 3rd round because he checks all the other boxes IMO.
very good info .. spoken like someone who knows the NFL prototypical metrics by position.

don't they also look at the 10 or 20 yard dash interval, even if they only publish the 40 yard result ?