Comprehensive Guide to Week 1 opponent - Dayton Flyers

BJJ guy

They have a whole new defensive staff, none of whom have been defensive cooridinators so ISU likley has little idea what scheme they are up against defensively.

crazzymark

Dayton is part of the pioneer conference, they have no scholarship football players

Total Red

Staff member
Dayton is part of the pioneer conference, they have no scholarship football players
It's true that they do not provide athletic scholarships, but players can and do receive academic scholarships or needs based assistance.

"Most UD players, though, are receiving some financial help — just not in the form of athletic scholarships. Don Vince, the UD associate director of financial aid, said 95 of 110 players have earned academic scholarships this year ranging from $2,000 to $15,000. That number doesn’t include federal and state need-based grants independent of the university, for which many UD players qualify."

Phantom

One thing I'd like to see is an improvement in production for games on Marquee. Last year they were godawful. The cameras were the lowest hi-def, direction was lackluster, transitions were terrible, felt like it was a team of kindergartners running the cameras, the graphics were abhorrent and the sound was crap.

If you want to better showcase the brand, team, and FCS football in general, you have to put a decent broadcast together for those watching on TV or at the bars. What we had last year (and really the last few years), looked like HS sophomore VHS game film from 1996.

isuphloyd

Here's everything I know about our Week 1 opponent.

1) They're from Dayton, OH
2) They're called the Flyers
3) Pretty good basketball program

I could go on but I don't want to overload you with information so early in the season.
You would think that Wright State, also located in Dayton and named to honor the Wright Brothers, would be called the Flyers. Wright State does not sponsor intercollegiate football, but did win the 2009 National Club Football Association national title.

TIMMY

It's true that they do not provide athletic scholarships, but players can and do receive academic scholarships or needs based assistance.

"Most UD players, though, are receiving some financial help — just not in the form of athletic scholarships. Don Vince, the UD associate director of financial aid, said 95 of 110 players have earned academic scholarships this year ranging from $2,000 to $15,000. That number doesn’t include federal and state need-based grants independent of the university, for which many UD players qualify."
I couldn't believe this. $67,000?

Phantom

So, any game/score/attendance predictions? I'm feeling crapshoot on all the above.

Just win. All that matters.

Total Red

Staff member
So, any game/score/attendance predictions? I'm feeling crapshoot on all the above.

Just win. All that matters.
It's not a prediction but something to shoot for. The last time we played Dayton in 2012 the Redbirds rolled up 56 points. Sweet!

Phantom

It's not a prediction but something to shoot for. The last time we played Dayton in 2012 the Redbirds rolled up 56 points. Sweet!

And 500+ yards of offense. Ironically also an early afternoon kickoff. I'd be happy with a repeat performance.

MadBird

The game notes, with "two-deep", are posted. No real surprises I guess, if you've been following the reports from Total Red, fourthandshort, etc. But interesting to see posted. Haven't heard much from/about L-D McCoy at LB, and he's a guy, along with Dinga, I'm counting on to be a rock this year.

Due to a series of circumstances, some not so good, we plan on being at the game tomorrow. Should be a great day for a ball game, sunny, warm, promising. Let's let it rip. Just hope my parking passes arrived in the mail - been outa town for a while.

Top Bottom