BU disgraces itself, telling longtime PJS beat writer 'You don't promote the Bradley brand'

ricohill

https://twitter.com/pjstarsports/status/1106753840924114944

I can't stop laughing at this story. How dumb is the Bradley athletic department?? Maybe this is why the media doesn't ask tough questions. Bradley is lucky the Journal Star covered them at all for about the last 12 years until last weekend.

Might be my favorite part.

"Journal Star sports editor Wes Huett, who met with the Bradley program at its request on Jan. 29 to listen to grievances about the newspaper’s coverage of the team,"

At the time Bradley was 2-6 in MVC play coming off a 55-37 loss to Mo State.

Hamdonger

Garbage. Petty. Appaling. What the... Huh? Whatchyou talkin about Willis. Forrest Gump. Stupid is as stupid does.

I was roommates with one of those admins. I cannot believe Chris Reynolds stood for this. Can't believe it. Promote the BU brand?? Did you really say that?? Are you spittin' me?? Biggest news for their program in a decade and they're picking fights. Nice timing, BU. What professionalism!

Wardle must have thrown one heck of a hissy fit to pull this off in exchange for making the entire university look bad. Truly, truly PfreakinUUUUUUU.

gobirds85

Humdinger said:
Garbage. Petty. Appaling. What the... Huh? Whatchyou talkin about Willis. Forrest Gump. Stupid is as stupid does.

I was roommates with one of those admins. I cannot believe Chris Reynolds stood for this. Can't believe it. Promote the BU brand?? Did you really say that?? Are you spittin' me?? Biggest news for their program in a decade and they're picking fights. Nice timing, BU. What professionalism!

Wardle must have thrown one heck of a hissy fit to pull this off in exchange for making the entire university look bad. Truly, truly PfreakinUUUUUUU.

Isn’t it the job of a journalist to report as opposed to promote?!?

DBird

gobirds85 said:
Humdinger said:

Well........... Used to be many years ago on many fronts!!!

Sladerunningbear

Funny thing is, this fits Wardle’s personality.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2013/05/24/uw-green-bay-mens-basketball-brian-wardle-investigation/2358557/

If Reynolds was a real leader he would suspend Wardle for the NCAA game.

ricohill

I love how soft most coaches and administrators have become. A guy like Wardle makes over $500,000 and up until a week ago hadn’t really accomplished much as a head coach in 9 years. 1 horizon league regular season championship was the pinnacle of his career when this feud started.

Now he has a mediocre year, wins the MVC at its worst ever, and decides to be petty over the “tough” coverage of the Peoria Journal Star. Plus, unless his AD bails him out with a great matchup, he is going to be humbled and embarrassed in the NCAA Tournament. That is called karma.

The best skill most Division 1 coaches have is kissing enough a$$ to move up the ladder. I guarantee there are lots of coaches that can do what Wardle or even Muller can do. A lot of D1 coaches aren’t great coaches, just great at bs.

My hope is the national media picks this up and hammers Wardle and Bradley.

Hamdonger

It's fine to have a beef with a reporter. Happens often. Dan was severely pissed at Benson after the Pantagraph reported the last incident with Milik, which The Panty had every right to do.

But "promote the brand??"

ricohill

https://twitter.com/bradleyumbb/status/1106781247861387267?s=21

What a terrible response. I love every part of Bradley looking clueless.

WSpringsBird

gobirds85 said:
Humdinger said:

Exactly right. This really makes Bradley and Wardle look bad, unfortunately.

Chi-bird

It looks bad, especially the “not promoting the brand” claim, but if and this is a big if- A media person is unfairly critical, I wouldn’t give them special perks. I think of the Tribune’s Rosenbloom, who essentially trashes teams and players simply because he is a miserable person and has found that negative attention is better than no attention. He tries to play it off as journalism, but he’s a blowhard. I’m not familiar with Reynolds or what he has said/written that Bradley disapproves of, but it would be good to know.

And people wonder why Benson doesn’t ask tough questions.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I mean I don’t want to praise anything Peoria much but Dave Reynolds has won three sportswriter of the year awards and covered Bradley for the PJStar for 29 years. Like ricohill said, at the time of the “meeting”, they were a dumpster fire. But Dave is supposed to put a positive spin on it? Nah. Not his job.

SoCalRedbird

I had a back-and-forth with another RBF poster a few months ago. We disagreed that Wardle was Gregg's second coming. I told him to wait until they had a winning season, and then we'd see his true character on display.

This article IS Brian Wardle, sir. Petty and arrogant. Look familiar?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoodlandWarrior

If you read Tornado on Bradleyfans.com, it’s a conspiracy by the Peoria Journal Star allied with Joann Glasser, Michael Cross, and former Coach Geno.

ricohill

WoodlandWarrior said:
If you read Tornado on Bradleyfans.com, it’s a conspiracy by the Peoria Journal Star allied with Joann Glasser, Michael Cross, and former Coach Geno.

The pjstar message board is much better except for a few posters that literally can’t read the byline of the article and figure out Reynolds or the sports editor didn’t write the article. Those same people claim the Journal Star waited until the AD was locked away for the selection committee to write a hit piece. Which, isn’t true at all people on the selection committee still have acesss to cell phones and internet.

Anyway, found out some more info. This is the article that set Wardle off. The Journal Star didn’t have the money to send Reynolds to the game (Pantagraph has done this as well recently) so he tried to do something extra and cover it from a bar.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190126/fire-wardle-not-with-these-bradley-fans-who-smiled-through-dismal-day

If you can’t handle this article good luck moving up to a Power 5 school.

Phantom

A beat writer's job (and journalists in general), is to report, not promote. There's some latitude to promote with something like a school/private publication, but in a "regular" platform like the PJStar, you don't promote.

I lost count how many media/writing classes I took in my journalism major at ISU where this point was repeated, endlessly. Having worked in media agencies and still being regularly published in newspapers, I can tell you this is how it is. Report; don't promote. Don't MAKE the news. Agenda setting is a dangerous, and foolish thing to do.

Moreover, Dave Reynolds is an excellent reporter, and nothing but professional. BU are complete idiots for this situation.

WSpringsBird

ricohill said:
WoodlandWarrior said:

The pjstar message board is much better except for a few posters that literally can’t read the byline of the article and figure out Reynolds or the sports editor didn’t write the article. Those same people claim the Journal Star waited until the AD was locked away for the selection committee to write a hit piece. Which, isn’t true at all people on the selection committee still have acesss to cell phones and internet.

Anyway, found out some more info. This is the article that set Wardle off. The Journal Star didn’t have the money to send Reynolds to the game (Pantagraph has done this as well recently) so he tried to do something extra and cover it from a bar.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190126/fire-wardle-not-with-these-bradley-fans-who-smiled-through-dismal-day

If you can’t handle this article good luck moving up to a Power 5 school.

Wow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that article.