Belmont @ Illinois State

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleDeuce

Surprised there's no prediction thread started yet...so I'll start one. I hope we can keep it focused on predictions, team information and game opinion (regardless if it's optimistic, pessimistic or something in between) and not have it hijacked into an anti-admin/coach thread.

On paper Belmont has the better experience and known producers...but the game is at Redbird and I'm flush with early season optimism so I'm expecting a pretty tight one. I'll go with:

Birds: 71
Bruins: 70

Phantom

Don't give up 60 in the first half and we should have a chance.

JHBird

I fear we're going to be embarrassed. Hopefully we got the nervous stuff out of your system.

Redbird Alum 2004

I think we will have a good crowd with a bunch of students. I also think we come out and really play some defense and that our guards get into the paint and get their bigs into foul trouble. Am I drinking the early session Kool Aid? You betcha. Birds 76 Bruins 71

Phantom

Semi-side note...is there a way to stream the WJBC audio anywhere? Ever since the Learfield deal, the JBC app and website are all screwy and the "Listen Live" feature is rarely functional.

johnaaa10

Phantom said:
Semi-side note...is there a way to stream the WJBC audio anywhere? Ever since the Learfield deal, the JBC app and website are all screwy and the "Listen Live" feature is rarely functional.

TuneIn Radio app works for me.

Bird Friend

JHBird said:
I fear we're going to be embarrassed. Hopefully we got the nervous stuff out of your system.

I think this has been a consistent level of anxiety for fans since 1998 . . .

Phantom

johnaaa10 said:
Phantom said:

TuneIn Radio app works for me.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Phantom

Bird Friend said:
Phantom said:
Don't give up 60 in the first half and we should have a chance.

Would help if we didn't allow it in the 2nd half either.

Lol, very true. I was just referring to the 62 we gave up in the 1st half at Belmont last year :oops:

DannyCooksey

I think a loss of under 15 would be a decent sign. Belmont is so far superior to us in every way that expecting a W is not realistic IMO. once again we are incorporating countless new players that will undoubtedly be either very rusty or have zero D-1 experience. How can we reasonably expect a W with that? How can we reasonably expect a good performance and even a competitive game?

i just hope we avoid complete and total embarrassment.

I'm guessing that we will not have our starting PG and we will also be down Chastain and Bruninga. Belmont lost some guys but they are a very strong program and will just re-load.

a nice 75-65 loss would be great to start the season IMO. it would show progress and decent defense and at least the final score wouldn't be a total shitshow blowout.

I highly, highly doubt this program is ready to beat a team like Belmont. even at home.

DoubleDeuce

DannyCooksey said:
I think a loss of under 15 would be a decent sign. Belmont is so far superior to us in every way that expecting a W is not realistic IMO. once again we are incorporating countless new players that will undoubtedly be either very rusty or have zero D-1 experience. How can we reasonably expect a W with that? How can we reasonably expect a good performance and even a competitive game?

I'm guessing that we will not have our starting PG and we will also be down Chastain and Bruninga. Belmont lost some guys but they are a very strong program and will just re-load.

a nice 75-65 loss would be great to start the season IMO. it would show progress and decent defense and at least the final score wouldn't be a total shitshow blowout.

I highly, highly doubt this program is ready to beat a team like Belmont. even at home.

Realism...I'll face it come Wednesday night.

Bird Friend

DannyCooksey said:

What I've been saying all along. We can't reasonably expect anything from a team we haven't seen play against 'real' competition. Almost all new faces, new offense, new defense, new assistants . . . And I'm going to say that regardless of how we do against Belmont, we still won't know what we have with this team yet.

WoodlandWarrior

Cookery makes some knowledgable and realistic points. Our defense will be critical because I fear that our offensive capability, at this point in the season, is suspect.

SoCalRedbird

Belmont 79
ISU 66

I hope I'm wrong, but Belmont should be able to control the tempo early. However, going on the road in game one could be a problem for the Bruins.

Things I hope to see:
-Transition baskets and a faster pace of play
-A 9-man or less rotation
-An interior defensive/offensive presence
-Limited turnovers
-6K+ in attendance
-Zach's development as a PG
-10 and 10 from Idowu
-Improved on-court leadership and culture

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ISU FAN 1

DannyCooksey said:

Double digit home loss to mid major with a new coach is now a moral victory? This is Redbird basketball.

I depressingly endorse your post.

Adunk33

Staff member
SoCalRedbird said:
Belmont 79
ISU 66

I hope I'm wrong, but Belmont should be able to control the tempo early. However, going on the road in game one could be a problem for the Bruins.

Things I hope to see:
-Transition baskets and a faster pace of play
-A 9-man or less rotation
-An interior defensive/offensive presence
-Limited turnovers
-6K+ in attendance
-Zach's development as a PG
-10 and 10 from Idowu
-Improved on-court leadership and culture

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

-9-man rotation highly likely because of injuries. (Ricky, Zach, Jaycee, Keith, Rey, DJ, Dedric, Tone, Abdou- maybe a bit of Sissoko depending on bigs in foul trouble.)
-6K unlikely
-Zach isn't a pg unless he has to be. Ricky and DJ are the pgs.
-I think you'll get the doub-doub from Rey, if not something like 12&8
-You'll get the on-court leadership and culture.

2 more days till hoops!

ricohill

ISU FAN 1 said:
DannyCooksey said:

Double digit home loss to mid major with a new coach is now a moral victory? This is Redbird basketball.

They also lost an All-American and our coach is in year 8. Excitement and expectations are at an all-time high in Redbird Land!!

jamminjamarsmiley

ricohill said:
ISU FAN 1 said:
DannyCooksey said:

They also lost an All-American and our coach is in year 8. Excitement and expectations are at an all-time high in Redbird Land!!

Belmont lost their top 2 scorers I believe? And their long time coach of over 30+ years.... Why is everyone predicting such doom and gloom? Is this some sort of reverse psychology attempt here? If ISU loses by double digits, it's time to firmly put Dan on the hot seat.

Birds 71
Belmont 64

RB4L

Birdfriend72

ISU FAN 1 said:
DannyCooksey said:

What I find ironic is that we are rebuilding after a .500 season. Mist solid programs rebound after a big season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom