Athletic Pay Cuts

ricohill

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/04/oregon-state-athletic-director-and-coaches-to-take-pay-cuts.html

I've seen a few schools having coaches and athletic administrators take pay cuts. Wonder if Dan and Larry will give some of their money back? Neither has been earning it by their job performance, would be the nice thing to give something back.

Redbird222

https://sports-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/coronavirus-cincinnati-cuts-mens-soccer-program-citing-longterm-budget-concerns-162112109.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15869612663981&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fcoronavirus-cincinnati-cuts-mens-soccer-program-citing-longterm-budget-concerns-162112109.html

Cincinnati cut their men's soccer program due to COVID-19

Also noted that Old Dominion cut wrestling.

In the aftermath, the NCAA announced that it would distribute $225 million among its Division I members in June. That figure was initially projected to be around $600 million before coronavirus hit. That has a trickle-down effect from the NCAA to all of its member institutions — an effect that, as Cincinnati showed, is already being felt.

To help offset costs, top officials at the NCAA are taking pay cuts, as are conference and university administrators (and even some coaches) across the country. And with so many seasons wiped out, the NCAA moved to restore a year of eligibility for athletes who had their 2020 seasons canceled. With that, however, comes additional scholarship costs for seniors who would have exhausted their final year of eligibility but are now able to return to campus.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
http://x.paciolanmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=b87a96b39696ea325e8bce6d66ce2b34

Email sent out the other day from Lyons. He mentions the scholarship rule and possible impact to scholarship fund.

cubird

WOW...Cincy football golden goose can't spare soccer :eek: Convenient excuse? Afraid it is just a start!

cubird

WOW...Cincy football golden goose can't spare soccer :eek: Convenient excuse? Afraid it is just a start!

Reggie Redbird

Redbird222 said:
https://sports-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/coronavirus-cincinnati-cuts-mens-soccer-program-citing-longterm-budget-concerns-162112109.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15869612663981&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fcoronavirus-cincinnati-cuts-mens-soccer-program-citing-longterm-budget-concerns-162112109.html

In the aftermath, the NCAA announced that it would distribute $225 million among its Division I members in June. That figure was initially projected to be around $600 million before coronavirus hit. That has a trickle-down effect from the NCAA to all of its member institutions — an effect that, as Cincinnati showed, is already being felt.

To help offset costs, top officials at the NCAA are taking pay cuts, as are conference and university administrators (and even some coaches) across the country. And with so many seasons wiped out, the NCAA moved to restore a year of eligibility for athletes who had their 2020 seasons canceled. With that, however, comes additional scholarship costs for seniors who would have exhausted their final year of eligibility but are now able to return to campus.

I saw Wake had coaches take pay cuts, including Dave Clawson for over $200k (10%). I know not all university endowments are made to be spent, but that is a university with over $1.3 billion in its endowment. You would think they would look at some of those university funds and ask: what are we doing as an institution?

Give Clawson credit; he didn’t have to take the cut. He also could have save the jobs of others. Perhaps though these departments look at their spending and what expense-savings measures they can take into consideration. Ex. when the MBB team goes to Hawaii or the WBB team goes to Italy, who are we paying to go along with? On the flip side, are those expenses worth paring the salaries of an asst track coach or asst gymnastics coach? Seems to me a good time to review the budget and see what is the first $50k or $100k in savings you can find.

As far as scholarships, this gives back a year of eligibility. I have a feeling a lot of non-P5 schools are going to be very selective who they bring back and at what amount. Also, a lot of spring sport athletes aren’t anywhere close to a full ride. They may not want to come back at 20-30% of a scholarship when there are no pro prospects and they still have to pull $15k out of pocket for the year.

jamminjamarsmiley

Dan should take a pay cut. We all know he hasn’t earned his keep the last couple of years. At least make a charitable contribution. For being such an upstanding religious guy you’d think he’d be giving back to the community in these trying times.

Redbird Alum 2004

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Dan should take a pay cut. We all know he hasn’t earned his keep the last couple of years. At least make a charitable contribution. For being such an upstanding religious guy you’d think he’d be giving back to the community in these trying times.

I am sure he is. No reason for him to make it public unless helping people is second to him doing it for his image. But way to take this to a bash Dan direction. I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

SgtHulka

jamminjamarsmiley said:

giphy.gif

jamminjamarsmiley

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:

I am sure he is. No reason for him to make it public unless helping people is second to him doing it for his image. But way to take this to a bash Dan direction. I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

I hope he does. Is he the highest paid employee at ISU? What does Dietz make?If he TRULY cares about the university he would be giving his money back to keep programs from folding and ensure kids get scholarships. He and his attorney wife are doing quite well financially.

If dan does anything like this his PR team will make sure we know about it. No question about that.

B

BirdGrad2011

There will be legitimate cuts at programs, but don’t use Cinci as the standard. They are desperate for a B12 offer and nobody in the B12 has men’s soccer. They were already looking to cut the program and COVID19 is just the perfect excuse. I’d bet a lot of cuts you’ll see were already being discussed.

gobirds85

Reggie Redbird said:
Redbird222 said:

I saw Wake had coaches take pay cuts, including Dave Clawson for over $200k (10%). I know not all university endowments are made to be spent, but that is a university with over $1.3 billion in its endowment. You would think they would look at some of those university funds and ask: what are we doing as an institution?

Give Clawson credit; he didn’t have to take the cut. He also could have save the jobs of others. Perhaps though these departments look at their spending and what expense-savings measures they can take into consideration. Ex. when the MBB team goes to Hawaii or the WBB team goes to Italy, who are we paying to go along with? On the flip side, are those expenses worth paring the salaries of an asst track coach or asst gymnastics coach? Seems to me a good time to review the budget and see what is the first $50k or $100k in savings you can find.

As far as scholarships, this gives back a year of eligibility. I have a feeling a lot of non-P5 schools are going to be very selective who they bring back and at what amount. Also, a lot of spring sport athletes aren’t anywhere close to a full ride. They may not want to come back at 20-30% of a scholarship when there are no pro prospects and they still have to pull $15k out of pocket for the year.

Reggie, with your astute financial background, I have a question for you...what rules apply to allow universities to dip into their endowments? And can I assume there is a difference between publics and privates?

jamminjamarsmiley

Confirmed Dan is easily the highest paid employee at Illinois State. And it’s not even close. Thanks Larry! Hope he does the right thing in the best interest of the University.

Bird Friend

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Confirmed Dan is easily the highest paid employee at Illinois State. And it’s not even close. Thanks Larry! Hope he does the right thing in the best interest of the University.

Confirmed that having you on my foe list is the right thing to do in the best interest RBF.net.

jamminjamarsmiley

Bird Friend said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:

Confirmed that having you on my foe list is the right thing to do in the best interest RBF.net.

If I was on your foe list, not sure how you saw and quoted my reply. Thanks buddy!

Question - if ISU was going to eliminate a sport, say Mens Track and Field, but could save it if Muller took a 10% pay cut this next year. Would you suggest he do it?

Trey_Guidry4three

jamminjamarsmiley said:
Bird Friend said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:

If I was on your foe list, not sure how you saw and quoted my reply. Thanks buddy!

Question - if ISU was going to eliminate a sport, say Mens Track and Field, but could save it if Muller took a 10% pay cut this next year. Would you suggest he do it?

No way him or Prince Spack would ever do that but to answer your question yes!! However, IMO Mullers pay at this point should be like one of a Life Insurance Representative. All commission and no salary . Show me results and you'll get the coin. What about switching to that type of pay instead of cutting 10% of salary up front. This would save a lot of programs at ISU that are bound to get slashed and works the cashflow float for the university. Also, Dan and his followers can put their money where their mouths is!!

crazzymark

Sorry tg43, Coach Spack is one of the best coaches in the country, been to the dance (playoffs) multi times, one of the D's at any level in the country have players stay and is a proven winner. Unlike DM that non of the for-mentioned has happened, and wont in the near future. As far as Men's T&F, is it one of the best programs in the country...so move DM to Downtown Bloomington, go D-II and raze RBA. Build a great indoor practice facility, build a cozy on campus arena for the Woman's programs like Bradly, Drake, UNI have and all good.

jamminjamarsmiley

www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/jim-boeheim-dino-babers-among-syracuse-leaders-taking-voluntary-pay-cuts-during-coronavirus-pandemic/amp/

Gained a lot of respect for boeheim and babers. Dan should consider taking this action

Top Bottom