At Northern Iowa 1/24

Phantom

Last time we were in Cedar Falls, we clinched the Valley title.

This time, we either win by 2 or lose by 46.

DannyCooksey

I think we will lose for sure. Not by 46. But I don't see a victory here despite that fact that UNI sucks.

I hope this team wakes up at some point. I think we are playing considerably below our potential.

DoubleDeuce

Seems impossible to predict a game between two completely unpredictable teams. I'm just gonna enjoy the game and hope for the best.

tpskult

I don't feel good about it, but here's to hoping the Birds can right the ship.

Birds 67
Panthers 61

IHateWSU

Every time we have played extremely poor, we have come back and had a big game. I HOPE this happens again.

Last time we played in Cedar Falls, we played a complete game. I HOPE this happens again.

Last time Muller sat MY, he was a beast the next game. I HOPE this happens again.

Each time our roller coaster seems to hit a new low, we seem to find a sense of urgency and out work our opponent next time up. I HOPE this happens again.

Call me an idiot, but I am driving out to Cedar Falls with a couple UNI buddies to watch us turn our season around!!

GO BIRDS!!!!!

Manchester Matt

A home loss here and I don’t see any way UNI avoids Thursday night with its remaining schedule.

Real tough stretch here for the ‘Birds. If we can finish this sequence 2-2, including the Indiana State loss, I’ll be thrilled.

Tpguy

Our only hope is Northern Iowa plays down to their competition :pray:

SgtHulka

DoubleDeuce said:
Seems impossible to predict a game between two completely unpredictable teams. I'm just gonna enjoy the game and hope for the best.

:text-+1:

Redbirdfan21

For those of you that didn't see the other thread, Milik is questionable with a toe injury suffered in the INSU game. I guess it's better than a knee injury like he left the game with, but toes (regardless of how small--- what an awful pun that was) can be nagging injuries... Not sure we have much of a shot without him playing, and playing at full strength...

Adunk33

Staff member
IHateWSU said:
Every time we have played extremely poor, we have come back and had a big game. I HOPE this happens again.

Last time we played in Cedar Falls, we played a complete game. I HOPE this happens again.

The main difference is after our major let downs this year so far, we have had a home game the next game. (Except that L to Boise, followed by a neutral court win to Tulsa.) Just looking through our schedule, it has been a very frustrating season. We should really by 14-6 and 6-2 in the MVC. Our problem is largely between the ears. We have one of the (probably) most talented teams in the conference. The immaturity, effort, and inconsistency is the key. How do you fix it? I don't know. I'm dealing with the same thing with a group of 13-14 year olds I coach.

All year, I have been expecting UNI to hit their stride and not be in the Thursday Night special. But a home loss to SIU and if they drop this one to us, 2-7 will be hard to come back from with games remaining at Drake, at Loyola, and home against Mo State.

A log jam works well for us due to the non-con sos tie breaker. We could very well be a 9-9 4, 5, or 6 seed, but I see an 11-7 finish and would love to get in that 3-6 game.

This game, two of the most inconsistent teams in conference history. Someone already put it best, we either win a close one or lose by double figures.

I don't think our team is the 30 point loss to INST team, or the 25 point loss to Drake. Better things are to come.

UNI is hoping for more attendance to this game. Free admission with donation to United Way.
http://unipanthers.com/news/2018/1/22/mens-basketball-free-admission-to-mbb-for-united-way-donation.aspx

V Boy

This game, as usual, will be decided on the perimeter.

If we let their little gym rats run around the 3-pt line and bombs away, we will get embarrassed a-la-Drake. If Evans, Williams and Tinsley can stay in front of these guys we at least have a shot.

Think Yarbrough, Fayne can score in the paint against slower UNI big guys. Evans should be able to get better looks against UNI than against INSU guards.

UNI backs against the wall. Going to be tough.

I think it will be:

ISU 65
UNI 75

Baltimore Bird

I watched 1/2 of the Birds game and most of the UNI game over the weekend. Both teams were bad, although, we were worse. They will remember last years thumping and celebrating on their court. UNI is also in a desperate situation. 2-7 at the half way point is too much to recover from IMO. MY is questionable and our history is questionable guys don't play whereas when Brady is questionable he is close to 100%. UNI 63, Birds 55

Bird Friend

Adunk33 said:
We should really by 14-6 and 6-2 in the MVC. Our problem is largely between the ears. We have one of the (probably) most talented teams in the conference. The immaturity, effort, and inconsistency is the key. How do you fix it? I don't know. I'm dealing with the same thing with a group of 13-14 year olds I coach.

On point 1, I'm not convinced of that. With all of the roster churn, plus the early injuries (and 1 ineligible), I'm not so certain this team isn't exactly what it is, 10-10/4-4, a team that wins some games it shouldn't and loses some games it shouldn't. And if you look at our losses, most of them haven't even been close. And if you look at our wins, we haven't put anybody away.

On point 2, I think the immaturity and inconsistency is exactly why this team is what it is. It's why when we get down early, we can fold so easily. It's why when we get up big, we can lose focus so easily.

I believe our wins over USC and Ole Miss have given us fans a false sense of the talent on this team.

ISU FAN 1

Wish it were as easy as Yarbs, Evans, and Fayne, and pray for rain. This 3 on 5 basketball, with the worst defense in the league is going nowhere. Some of the rest need to grow up quick, and start producing.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/mens_basketball/uni-basketball-panthers-look-to-avoid-dreaded-bottom-four-game/article_c7d09397-45c5-5768-abaa-ec0d691e2598.html

WoodlandWarrior

That article is very revealing in describing the Redbirds season so far, particularly with reference to the porous defense. That is the biggest disappointment for me, insofar as Fayne, Williams, and Evans were all here last year. They had to see and experience the defensive emphasis from a year ago, but there is no carryover whatsoever. And I will repeat what I said in an earlier post.....our defense against three point shooters breaks down at inopportune times.

cubird

Derrick Rose had a turf toe injury just b4 he blew out his knee :eek:

KingO

Toe sprain for Milik. Still questionable for uni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom