Alex Kotov - JuCo Commit

BirdsEyeView

Welcome. Hope you can be a post presence for us!

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/junior-college-power-forward-alex-kotov-announces-he-will-sign/article_8248c6d9-ab80-5e6a-959d-106ba94432ae.html?utm_source=Pantagraph&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=News Alerts

Redbird222

BirdsEyeView said:
Welcome. Hope you can be a post presence for us!

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/junior-college-power-forward-alex-kotov-announces-he-will-sign/article_8248c6d9-ab80-5e6a-959d-106ba94432ae.html?utm_source=Pantagraph&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=News Alerts
Article says left handed but looks right handed in video ( assuming I got right person)

crazzymark

Great another tall, thin work in progress, for joy but welcome to ISU. Looks like a redshirt or another tall thin guy or three are leaving...

ILLST25

I kind of like this get. He seems to be very versatile: he can shoot the 3, dribble and drive, and play in the post. He’s also very lengthy which can allow him to block shots, rebound, and play defense.

ILLST25

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pantagraph.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/28/7287c8ed-10f1-5b96-9af0-dab84d9c0aeb/5e683184371ac.image.jpg?resize=266%2C392

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTo1eOOBY-SRKk1ZOmfyPIWOwSUJ9LO9cN6nrv8aFcC7aXaUMGv

This is exactly what we needed

jamminjamarsmiley

ILLST25 said:
I kind of like this get. He seems to be very versatile: he can shoot the 3, dribble and drive, and play in the post. He’s also very lengthy which can allow him to block shots, rebound, and play defense.

24% from 3 though..... I think we have some guards who can shoot those for us at a better clip.

Birdfriend72

jamminjamarsmiley said:
ILLST25 said:

24% from 3 though..... I think we have some guards who can shoot those for us at a better clip.

I was thinking the same thing! You can’t make this stuff up! He can’t shoot and averages 6 ppg in juco? That will help us! We are doomed!

cubird

I know nothing! Guessing Chastain graduates and decides he wants to finish grad school and save knees for running around with his kids someday. Still need a post player to help Fisher.

redblood

Birdfriend72 said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:
ILLST25 said:

I was thinking the same thing! You can’t make this stuff up! He can’t shoot and averages 6 ppg in juco? That will help us! We are doomed!

Don’t worry they’ll teach him to shoot hahaha ugh...

RedbirdSoxFan

Birdfriend72 said:
jamminjamarsmiley said:
ILLST25 said:

Any chance maybe he’s just going to be a walk-on?

Loyl2u

ILLST25 said:

I’d love to see more emphasis on post play and hope he can help.

What I see on the highlight video shows him consistently spotting up for the three with wide open looks(which he won’t get in DI) or dribble drives to basket(again against pretty bad no help defense-not sure ISU will want him attempting to penetrate w/the ball against DI defense), don’t think he set up once on the block in the vid. He should be familiar with the past season’s offensive scheme, in fact it looks like ISU ran the same offense as Daytona Junior College most of this past year. Not a block or defensive effort in-sight on video.

Unfortunately, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

B

BirdGrad2011

Not sure I get this one yet. Can’t find any other offers. Found a tweet referencing having a strong summer last year and getting interest from Nevada, Texas A&M, Arkansas State yet no offers. Injured all but 2 games this year. Unless he’s shown a ton of improvement in practice and on his visit to campus in pick up then I have no idea. He’s got size and based on limited video skills to build on. Looks kind of like a Bruninga clone game wise...

Bird Friend

Stretch 4, not a banger and not gonna be, not fast. His shot looks good form wise. From what little I've found, he seems a prototypical East European forward: tall, slender, likes to shoot from beyond the arc, can take it to the hoop, and can make some awkward looking shots . . . just not sure how well he does any of those.

Incidentally, he played for Montverde Prep when they won the 2018 GEICO National Championship. He'll definitely be our next Dirk Nowitsky :lol:

birdlife

i could be over-analyzing....but the timing of this announcement, on his part, feels strange. anyone have insight into why this would come out now, right after the team got eliminated in the conf tourney PIG? is it simply that it had to wait until the season was over?

Top Bottom