5) Valparaiso
6) Indiana State (if Barnes is back)
7) Missouri State
8) Northern Iowa
9) Evansville
10)Drake

Thoughts on the upcoming season?

RedbirdNation24

Ughhhh I forgot Custer is coming back. Just having him and Krutwig to deal with is a handful for any team in the Valley, including us.

As far as standings, I would think it's Loyola and us battling for the title. I could also see Bradley getting up there. And you never know with Jacobson, UNI could be sneaky next year with those guys having another year of experience.

WoodlandWarrior

I could see Vslpo in 4th place next year. IMO they will be competitive in their home gym and should pick off some road wins against lower division Valley teams. Don’t know what to think of Bradley because they lost a really good player in Thomas.

Redbird Alum 2004

I think if Milik buys in on defense like he says he wants to, then we will be a much better team. When your leader is playing lock down defense and buys into that the rest of the guys tend to buy in as well. With more guys on the bench we will be able to afford to be a bit more aggressive. Southern is gonna be good, real good. Loyola will be good again. The valley could get three teams in if the valley takes care of business in the non conference.

RedbirdSoxFan

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
I think if Milik buys in on defense like he says he wants to, then we will be a much better team. When your leader is playing lock down defense and buys into that the rest of the guys tend to buy in as well. With more guys on the bench we will be able to afford to be a bit more aggressive. Southern is gonna be good, real good. Loyola will be good again. The valley could get three teams in if the valley takes care of business in the non conference.

I posted in another thread that I think that ISU, SIU, and LUC will have the talent to get 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament in 2018-19. I also believe that if Jordan Barnes is back, the MVC 1-6 will be as good as the Valley has had since they sent four to the NCAA Tournament.

V Boy

Marques Townes not on 1st or 2nd team all-Valley? He was a top 10 player in the NCAA Tournament.

I actually think Krutwig and Townes will be Loyola 1st-teamers next year. Custer takes a back seat.

Yarbrough probably first-team again. Fayne and Evans scoring will go down with Copeland here and Tinsley confidence up. So they are 2nd-team.

DBird

V Boy said:
Marques Townes not on 1st or 2nd team all-Valley? He was a top 10 player in the NCAA Tournament.

I actually think Krutwig and Townes will be Loyola 1st-teamers next year. Custer takes a back seat.

Yarbrough probably first-team again. Fayne and Evans scoring will go down with Copeland here and Tinsley confidence up. So they are 2nd-team.
So if Copeland's potential success bumps Fayne down to second team Copeland then must be first team!!

chuckie1980

So after partaking of Redbird Koolaid with a healthy shot of Tequila...

BIRDS will be champions for the 18-19 season.

Hmmm...so what in the world are you all drinking to predict THREE....as in 1, 2, THREE, MO VALLEY TEAMS in the dance?

RedbirdSoxFan

chuckie1980 said:

Hmmm...so what in the world are you all drinking to predict THREE....as in 1, 2, THREE, MO VALLEY TEAMS in the dance?

What are your predictions?

DBird

chuckie1980 said:

Lighten up Francis!! :lol:

SgtHulka

chuckie1980 said:

JC is coming back as an assistant. This team is going to glisten moving forward.

DoubleDeuce

Where's the love??? I'm already chomping at the bit for next year!

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/4/3/17192394/mid-major-rankings-2018-19-way-too-early-nevada-gonzaga-south-dakota-state-loyola

V Boy

DoubleDeuce said:
Where's the love??? I'm already chomping at the bit for next year!

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/4/3/17192394/mid-major-rankings-2018-19-way-too-early-nevada-gonzaga-south-dakota-state-loyola

Will all come down to guard play. If it’s way better we have a shot. If anything goes wrong there we have no shot.

Basically the new JUCOs have to be awesome.

crazzymark

WARNING TO ALL: Only the MVC tourney champ will get a NCAA bid....LU to most broadcasters and experts was a fluke, lucky and whatever else they will say to get Oklahoma or any team that only had 2 road wins all season make the dance based on a player, seat sales and school following in March Madness. Sad fact but true, the 2017 ISU team was as good as anyone and had 31 wins and wasn't even a thought in the selection of teams that year for the dance. So win everything straight out and make the dance for MY and Dan.

Redbirdwarrior

With the potential Valley POY (I personally think we have 3 potential Valley POY on the roster), with a team that loses NOBODY and has a full season of playing together, 18-19 is THE season for Illinois State. This is it.

The starting 5 is stacked. The depth is crazy and the experience the freshmen got this year will be incredibly important come next season. I know we say one thing or the other about koolaid, but I can see ISU going 17-1 or even 18-0 in conference next year. It is entirely possible.

Adunk33

Staff member
I'll put a pin in a prediction until the end of the month or Mid-May when we know what our roster will look like. We do know we'll have Milik, Phil, and Keyshawn though. That's a good start.

RedbirdSoxFan

chuckie1980 said:

What I stated was that I thought Loyola, Illinois State, and Southern Illinois will all have the talent back to be NCAA teams in 2018-19.

LOYOLA- Early 2018-19 Top 25 Rankings:
USA Today (#15)
Sports Illustrated (#25)
Sporting News (#25)
SBNation (#28)
So looks like they think that Loyola is a Top 25 (28) Team that has the talent to get them in the NCAA Tournament.

Illinois State against Loyola this past season:
Lost at Home 68-61
Lost at Loyola 68-61
Take Richardson, Ingram, and Jackson out of those two games and Loyola does not win them. That will be the case in 2018-19. Those three will be gone, Illinois State will have everyone (that matters) back. I believe Illinois State will be much better than they were this past season, and I believe they will be better than Loyola. So if Loyola is a Top 25 team and a NCAA team, then I think Illinois State is also.

Southern Illinois, They return all five of their starters from this past season's 2nd place team.They should be much better than they were this year. Maybe not as good as Illinois State and Loyola, but I believe they will have the talent to be an NCAA caliber team in 2018-19.

Bradley, Indiana State (if Jordan Barnes returns), and Valparaiso will be very good teams. should finish 4th thru 6th, but any of the three could bust into the top three.

Hopefully Northern Iowa gets back to being good in the 2018-19 season. That will really make the Missouri Valley a tough conference.

Missouri state could still be good. They return Church, Dixon, and Krecko. They have the #31 rated JUCO player coming in. And they have Dana Ford!

As for Drake & Evansville #9 & #10: Any loss to these two could kill any at-large bid.

For Illinois State, Loyola, and Southern Illinois it comes down to scheduling tough, winning some games you are not picked to win, and not losing to teams you should not lose to. If that happens I can see all three getting into the NCAA Tournament.

Still waiting to see your predictions for the 2018-19 season Chuckie :think:

Adunk33

Staff member
RedbirdSoxFan said:
Missouri state could still be good. They return Church, Dixon, and Krecklo. They have the #31 rated JUCO player coming in. And they have Dana Ford!

Not to mention a transfer eligible from Xavier. Indiana State also grabbed former Redbird recruit/Iowa player, Christian Williams. Listed as a 6'5 PG, the only true PG that could athletically compete with Clarance if he settles in.

Top Bottom