2017/2018 Preseason Vally Predictions

AgGrad1011

Well this might be an interesting year to try and predict. But god willing we don't have any other surprises before the season starts, we pretty well know what players will be available to us. There are so many variables going into this season. Who is going to step up to the plate? Will we have another pleasant surprise like we had with Phill last year? Leadership, chemistry, defensive toughness... all are undetermined. I believe in coach and what he is doing so lets see if he is going to earn that extension!

There have been a few pre season predictions come out but I found one on Indiana states site that was pretty interesting

http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?38762-Preseason-Valley-Predictions

I'll start ours off:

1) Missouri State - Most Talent and chemistry.
2) Loyola - Returning talent and some pretty promising incoming talent
3) ILLINOIS STATE- Second best coach in the valley in my opinion. Can he rally the troops and find a way to bring that defensive toughness again to challenge for the championship? We have a strong coaching advantage over the first two teams listed.
4) Southern IL - May be the best recruiting class.... but its Barry...
5) Valparaiso- Don't know much about this team but they lost some key pieces
6) UNI- Jake is the best coach in the valley but they lost the only player who could take over the game and create offense.
7) Bradley- I like the way Brian coaches and he has some raw talent that I believe will take strides this year.
8) Evansville- Woof, one of the poorest teams marty has had in awhile... he runs one style of play... lets see who his go to guard is this year.
9) Drake- They have some talent including sharpshooter Reed Timmer, but they lack size compared to other valley schools.
10) Indiana State- I just don't think they have the guns this year..... Plus they put us farther down the predictions list than any prediction I have seen this year so I'm a little sour... there is only one ISU in the valley :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

TreRoberson4Heisman

IMO, the beginning of the season will be heavily dependent on Phil, Malik, and Keyshawn. Until Elijah is ready and gets used to the speed of the game -- guessing mid-late regular season -- the Birds may struggle. I think they will be a 2-3 seed in St. Louis and take The Valley on Sunday. Birds dance.

In regards to the MVC, I'll make up some tiers how I believe the league will pan out. (Alphabetical)

TOP (12+ Valley Wins)
Illinois State
Loyola
Missouri State
Valpo

MIDDLE (8-11 Valley Wins)
Northern Iowa
Southern IL

BOTTOM (7 and below Valley Wins)
Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Indiana State

Hamdonger

It's a big GARGANTUAN giant question mark. We lost four very seasoned MVC starters, including POY and two others who were top players in The Valley, and the other arguably the top defensive guy in The Valley who may have been the glue for our team.

Think about that for a sec.

12 wins is asking a lot of this team. Other side, though...is we SHOULD ask a lot of this team.

I just don't know. I think we could lay a duck or finish top-tier.

SgtHulka

Humdinger said:
It's a big GARGANTUAN giant question mark. We lost four very seasoned MVC starters, including POY and two others who were top players in The Valley, and the other arguably the top defensive guy in The Valley who may have been the glue for our team.

12 wins is asking a lot of this team. Other side, though...is we SHOULD ask a lot of this team.

Howard+the+Duck+Lea+Thompson+love+scene.jpg

Hamdonger

I knew I could count on you, Hulka. My thoughts exactly. Lucky duck, that duck there...

RedbirdSoxFan

SgtHulka said:
Humdinger said:

And two guys who probably would have been starters; one that transferred (DJ Clayton) and one that is ineligible (Zach Copeland). A lot of holes to fill.

With the hit that Illinois State has taken, the departure of Wichita State, and the lack of the other teams in the Valley to take a big step this year, I will not be surprised to see Valparaiso win the conference. If not this year, them and Illinois State would be my co-favorite to win the MVC next year.

MJ_Durk

Too many questions to decide an order, but you can see groups...

Top: Missouri State

Good but Not Quite There: ISU, Loyola, Valpo

Meh: Bradley, Southern, UNI

Thursday Night Club: Drake, Evansville, Indy State

BIGfan

It is like picking the path of a hurricane... The Bears, Ramblers and Crusaders are cat-4s and any, or all of them, could destroy the Birds on any given night (with bad refs). Look at the Dogs and Braves as possible tornados... that can do isolated damage, too. We are in for some stormy weather. As much as you like to down the MVC, there is a lot of talent out there this year. And, NONE of them like that state school in Normal.

V Boy

Think the key to the Birds will be how much better Keyshawn Evans is from last year. If he's the same, we're in trouble. If his ball-handling and defense improved, then I think we could be a dangerous team. On a team with not a lot of ball handlers, he needs to be the man.

Athletically I think we'll be right there with MoSt.....a little ahead of Loyola. Skill-wise not so sure.

IHateWSU

I know it was mentioned in an earlier thread about EC in a walking boot. I saw a tweet today with a couple of our MBB guys reading at an elementary school and EC was in a walking boot. Any one with any news?

Hamdonger

V Boy said:
Think the key to the Birds will be how much better Keyshawn Evans is from last year. If he's the same, we're in trouble. If his ball-handling and defense improved, then I think we could be a dangerous team. On a team with not a lot of ball handlers, he needs to be the man.

Athletically I think we'll be right there with MoSt.....a little ahead of Loyola. Skill-wise not so sure.

You're right, V. I like everything about Keyshawn EXCEPT his ball-handling. We desperately need a dependable ballhandler who's not afraid of pressure D. Key was very skittish last year under pressure. I like him a lot because I think he brings a lot to the table (he had a GREAT MVC tourney game) but if his ballhandling isn't improved significantly...we're gonna be a higher turnover team.

Man do we need ballhandlers. (wide open for ya there, Hulka)

chuckie1980

It is disheartening to see the Birds picked at the bottom by anybody in the MoValley.

I have no clue as to what the season has in store. And I have no school that I "WANT" to end up on the bottom.

SgtHulka

IHateWSU said:
I know it was mentioned in an earlier thread about EC in a walking boot. I saw a tweet today with a couple of our MBB guys reading at an elementary school and EC was in a walking boot. Any one with any news?

start worrying when it turns into a cast

crazzymark

1) Valpo 23 wins wins MVC reg season (NIT) new and a wild card
2) MSU 24 wins wins MVC tourney (NCAA) good balance and best pick to win in St Louis
3) UNI 21 wins (NIT) transfers and scrap it together
4) Loyola 21 wins (NIT) run and fun...
5) SIU 19 wins (CBI) transfers and good recruiting class
6) Bradley 18 wins (CBI) good coach and have nothing to lose, all to gain
7) EU 17 wins (CIT) Just consistent and beanch
8) ISU 16 wins (declines CIT) to many what if's and could be's, one of the top
transfer programs in the country. Lose 4 players again in 2019
9) IndSU 14 wins home version well....have a lot to fix and only up from this point
10) Drake 10 wins lazyboy time have a team...sorta

NCAA looks at MVC as play in conference possibly, 2019/20 season ???
do to the MVC cant get above a NCAA 15th seed anyway.

Manchester Matt

Lol, Mark. A play-in conference? Please. Do you pay attention to the lesser conferences? Apparently not. You have that many teams in the Valley going to postseason tournaments, yet a 24-win MSU team is going to be a 16 seed. Lol. Oh my. The drinking has started early this weekend

What the hell is everyone's infatuation with Valpo? They got beat by a horrendous team in the Opening round of the Horizon League tournament when Peters went down last year.

BTbird

Santa Cason said:
What the hell is everyone's infatuation with Valpo? They got beat by a horrendous team in the Opening round of the Horizon League tournament when Peters went down last year.

Was thinking the same thing but I've never seen them play and haven't researched who they have coming in. They lose there top two scorers and 3 of the top 4. One of them being peters. They do seem to have some good returning seniors who's numbers will probably explode this year along with a freshman that was very productive. That might be enough in the valley this year.

Jsnhbe1Birds

My predictions:

Tier 1:
1. Illinois State (25-8; 14-4 and the MVC automatic bid for their first NCAA trip in 20 years! I'm sure I will be labeled as biased considering the turnover this season at ISU but I believe in Muller and his recruits. Not to mention the 'Birds were better than every other team (that's still in the MVC) by far last season. Even with the lack of returning starters I don't think anyone can overcome that gap.)
2. Missouri State (26-7; 14-4 and overcome Lusk to get into the NIT.)
3. Southern Illinois (One word: Underrated.)
4. Loyola (Does anyone on this board have any faith in Porter Moser?)

Tier 2:
5. Northern Iowa (They lost their best player from a middling team but they have a great coach. They will be middling, again.)
6. Valparaiso (They lost their best player and joined a better league. They will struggle.)
7. Bradley (They will be better but they are still another year away.)

Tier 3:
8. Drake (I think they made a good hire.)
9. Indiana State (At least they're not Evansville. That's about all I can say about the Trees.)
17. Evansville (They're going to be just god awful. They will make the worst Drake season over the past 20 years look like a championship season.)

I think the tiers are pretty much set but the order within each tier is pretty much interchangeable.

Top Bottom