President Search

Reggie Redbird

Maybe I'm naive, but why are they holding the names until 24 hours before they are here?
I would venture this is a move to try and appear transparent without offering the opportunity for the public to thoroughly vet the candidates. If you think back to Flanagan and Brennan especially, there was not the due diligence that they were fit for the role. I am concerned with how search firms operate. This decision does not surprise me.

A second reason could be it allows those finalists to drop out with anyone knowing who they are if their current employer tries to retain them or they are applying for several jobs and get one of them. It would not surprise me if one of the candidates withdraws.

It would be shocking if one candidate is not Tarhule, so we are likely looking at 3 others.

Bdub777

I would venture this is a move to try and appear transparent without offering the opportunity for the public to thoroughly vet the candidates. If you think back to Flanagan and Brennan especially, there was not the due diligence that they were fit for the role. I am concerned with how search firms operate. This decision does not surprise me.

A second reason could be it allows those finalists to drop out with anyone knowing who they are if their current employer tries to retain them or they are applying for several jobs and get one of them. It would not surprise me if one of the candidates withdraws.

It would be shocking if one candidate is not Tarhule, so we are likely looking at 3 others.
Do we know if Tarhule even applied? I agree it would seem surprising if he wasn’t in the mix but usually word is out one way or another…..

Dmills

RedbirdSoxFan

Releasing bios 24 hours before their scheduled forum is incredibly stupid. Just be transparent up front instead of trying to flaunt your extensive, transparent search with your 29 person committee. It probably doesn't matter much in the end but its just dumb.
Maybe there is a good reason that one (or all) of the four do not want their name out there yet.

GoRedbirds1!

Spot on regarding Flanagan and Brennan. However, have we ever considered that one key stalwart on many of these search committees is no other than our newly minted Chief Operating Officer/SWA? Where's the accountability at for members of these (failed) search committees? Seems like someone has been able to go unscathed throughout all of this..

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I've been told this is very normal for major university hires. Provost hires have done similar things not releasing the names until just before their visits.

cpacmel

Missouri State is without a President. This article is from Jan 18th.

The committee searching for the 12th president of Missouri State University announced Thursday the names of three finalists.

The finalists, all men, are John Jasinski, provost at Missouri State; Roger Thompson, vice president for student services and enrollment management at the University of Oregon; and Richard Williams, who was president of Utah Tech University from 2014 through early 2024.

They are scheduled to visit the Springfield and West Plains campuses during two-day interviews in February. Those details have yet to be released.

They also had a 20-member committee. So we have them beat on that. LOL

Reggie Redbird

I've been told this is very normal for major university hires. Provost hires have done similar things not releasing the names until just before their visits.
Can you define “very normal?” Is your source telling you over 50% 75%. Or is it more 25%?

FWIW, Tarhule was announced as a finalist for a VP position in Indiana. I understand why he put in for it while he was going through this process, but it appears he would have no problem being named a candidate.

This is just my own opinion, but someone willing to have their name released shows confidence in themselves for the role and interest in the role. Those not wanting their names out there, you have to ask why? Is it because they feel it would impact their relationship at their current school? Is it because they’re pursuing many positions? Because they feel they will pull out at the end?

The key questions I have about this search:

Do the search committee members feel they are being guided by the people leading the committee? Sometimes, a larger committee is selected because it is easier to control. Bigger boards allow for dissenting voices to serve but those voices can easily be drowned out as 3-5 people out of 29.

Do the search committee members feel they are being provided all the necessary information to make a critical recommendation? Or is everything they look at controlled by one person/group? The lack of research into recent candidates made it easy for tough questions about a candidate’s history and past conduct not to be asked.

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
And another finalist name. University of Nevada, Reno dean

Of interest for the athletics side:

He has also chaired a search for UNR engineering college dean as well as a new athletic director.

Easton-Brooks is originally from Texas and attended the University of Texas at El Paso on a football scholarship; he transferred to Greenville University where he won all-conference honors as a linebacker and cornerback. He was the first Black football player to be inducted into that university's Athletics Hall of Fame.

TIMMY

Top Bottom