Average Attendance

Redbird222

Last night was a little bit better, but the bar was set pretty low against UNC-W. The North end student section has more of the students that care and some of them do stand for the whole time. At this point, if students want to have fun and be involved in the game they should go to the North side. The South side can remain the funeral zone for the time being. There won't be much of a student section against Bucknell or Purdue Northwest, but hopefully there is more improvement for the first conference game against Missouri State on December 1st.

Attendance was 2,904. Bringing the season average up to 2,773.
The east and west sides are closer to a funeral, literally and figuratively, than the south side

Phantom

Last night was a little bit better, but the bar was set pretty low against UNC-W. The North end student section has more of the students that care and some of them do stand for the whole time. At this point, if students want to have fun and be involved in the game they should go to the North side. The South side can remain the funeral zone for the time being. There won't be much of a student section against Bucknell or Purdue Northwest, but hopefully there is more improvement for the first conference game against Missouri State on December 1st.

Attendance was 2,904. Bringing the season average up to 2,773.
As long as they continue to be there, the energy will follow at some point. Winning cures a lot of course.

RedbirdSoxFan

The east and west sides are closer to a funeral, literally and figuratively, than the south side
I was sitting on the east side last night. The east and west side, from what I could tell, is made up largely of those of us who have endured the last 24 years of zero NCAA Tournament games. Quite frankly I think we deserve more thanks for our commitment to the Redbirds program than the criticism from many who weren’t even alive when we were attending games at Horton. .

Redbird222

I was sitting on the east side last night. The east and west side, from what I could tell, is made up largely of those of us who have endured the last 24 years of zero NCAA Tournament games. Quite frankly I think we deserve more thanks for our commitment to the Redbirds program than the criticism from many who weren’t even alive when we were attending games at Horton. .
I was on the west side.

Redbird60451

Complaints about attendance are not going to do anything. I went out to see what was available for the Bucknell game and while there are some seats in the lower bowl, for the main part they are sold out, except for the top rows in the lower bowl. I would guess that there are probably more like 4000 to 4200 sold when I moved around, I didn't count seat by seat, and you exclude both student sections. But really there's revenue generated from the sales, they just choose not to show up, but they still got their $25 from the individual or company for that empty seat. We also know it's only the dollars that talk, and not empty seats. Concessions don't really move the needle, aren't most of the people who work them volunteers for some groups? So the labor is likely free. And it's not like Hot Dogs and Pop Corn are expensive. And that syrup for pop and other drinks doesn't really go bad. Your greatest expense is the electricity it takes for the lights and to power the place. Probably save a ton of money on off days and when it's dark.

If we are going to complain about it looking bad on TV, then if your not there by the first TV Timeout, then allow people in the upper bowl to move to the lower bowl to fill in seats, and if the ticket holder shows up, then you kindly move to another open seat. But attendance we can't really complain about, because if I remember correctly, that's people that actually show up, where as revenue is tickets sold.

TIMMY

Complaints about attendance are not going to do anything. I went out to see what was available for the Bucknell game and while there are some seats in the lower bowl, for the main part they are sold out, except for the top rows in the lower bowl. I would guess that there are probably more like 4000 to 4200 sold when I moved around, I didn't count seat by seat, and you exclude both student sections. But really there's revenue generated from the sales, they just choose not to show up, but they still got their $25 from the individual or company for that empty seat. We also know it's only the dollars that talk, and not empty seats. Concessions don't really move the needle, aren't most of the people who work them volunteers for some groups? So the labor is likely free. And it's not like Hot Dogs and Pop Corn are expensive. And that syrup for pop and other drinks doesn't really go bad. Your greatest expense is the electricity it takes for the lights and to power the place. Probably save a ton of money on off days and when it's dark.

If we are going to complain about it looking bad on TV, then if your not there by the first TV Timeout, then allow people in the upper bowl to move to the lower bowl to fill in seats, and if the ticket holder shows up, then you kindly move to another open seat. But attendance we can't really complain about, because if I remember correctly, that's people that actually show up, where as revenue is tickets sold.
Agreeing to complain about attendance is a waste of time. But if I'm sitting in a $30 seat and someone with a $10 ticket sits next to me what is my ticket now worth? 10 bucks. That sold ticket is worth $30 to someone who's paying for it whether it's empty or not. Why would you want to diminish its value?

Redbird60451

Agreeing to complain about attendance is a waste of time. But if I'm sitting in a $30 seat and someone with a $10 ticket sits next to me what is my ticket now worth? 10 bucks. That sold ticket is worth $30 to someone who's paying for it whether it's empty or not. Why would you want to diminish its value?
The only reason I'd say move down, is so it doesn't appear empty on TV. Fake that there's a demand and attendance, especially since the numbers that keep getting posted aren't seats sold, it's actual people through the door, and that's a mis-information. It doesn't actually matter how many people are there, it only matters how much money is brought in from the seat being sold.

All sporting events attendance is down pro and college, it was trending that way prior to covid anyway. Today's kids don't really need to be there to have that experience anyway. As long as they pay their tuition, that's all the athletic department cares about, because then their sporting fees are collected.

And as of perceived value to the person who paid $30 vs the person who paid $10, to bad. People overpay for stuff all the time. Sucks to be the one who over-paid or maybe they should have talked to the people who didn't show up and get them to show up or give people the tickets that will show up. I mean it's obvious ISU doesn't care about the TV seats being occupied, why would they care if one person paid more than another.

TIMMY

So you're a regular at Smith and Wollensky and you get the bone-in ribeye. It's $30. (Yeah right!) It's awesome as always. You notice the guy at the table next to you got it as well. You say to him, "Dude is this steak great or what?" He says "Sure is. Especially for $10". You're telling me you're OK with that? I'm telling you next time I'm going to Gibson's!

DBird

So you're a regular at Smith and Wollensky and you get the bone-in ribeye. It's $30. (Yeah right!) It's awesome as always. You notice the guy at the table next to you got it as well. You say to him, "Dude is this steak great or what?" He says "Sure is. Especially for $10". You're telling me you're OK with that? I'm telling you next time I'm going to Gibson's!
You deserve a refund of $20 Timmy!!!

Redbird60451

I'd be ok with it if I'm the guy paying $10 and your the one pay $30. I'd fell like a jackass if it was the other way around. But it is what it is, don't you feel bad when you buy a car and then go to true car and find out someone paid $1000 less then you? Don't you feel bad you didn't bring the coupon from the paper? Don't you feel bad that you paid for your ticket at the gate of the theme park and online you could have paid 50% less? What if I waited till 1 min before the game and bought it on stub hub for $5 because they wanted some money instead of no money. And isn't that the whole priceline commercial thing where the one guy gets a hotel room for one price and the other guy get the identical package for less? It is what it is.

I'm saying people are complaining about the empty seats they are seeing, either on TV or being there. I prefer the people who sit around me NOT show up, then I have a place to put my jacket or lean over, or if the person in front of me is tall I can just slide over. If I wanted to create perceived demand or a greater attendance then what's actually there, you fill in the seats that are on TV, which is behind the benches and across the center, the first 10/12 rows. To do that you'd have to have people move down from the upper bowl. That's what this whole attendance thread is really based on. Because it's not actually talking about seats sold, it's talking about butts in seats. In reality, butts in seats don't actually matter. What matters is the seat sold, how much ad revenue did we make on the TV broadcast, and did we collect all the student fee's.

DBird

I'd be ok with it if I'm the guy paying $10 and your the one pay $30. I'd fell like a jackass if it was the other way around. But it is what it is, don't you feel bad when you buy a car and then go to true car and find out someone paid $1000 less then you? Don't you feel bad you didn't bring the coupon from the paper? Don't you feel bad that you paid for your ticket at the gate of the theme park and online you could have paid 50% less? What if I waited till 1 min before the game and bought it on stub hub for $5 because they wanted some money instead of no money. And isn't that the whole priceline commercial thing where the one guy gets a hotel room for one price and the other guy get the identical package for less? It is what it is.

I'm saying people are complaining about the empty seats they are seeing, either on TV or being there. I prefer the people who sit around me NOT show up, then I have a place to put my jacket or lean over, or if the person in front of me is tall I can just slide over. If I wanted to create perceived demand or a greater attendance then what's actually there, you fill in the seats that are on TV, which is behind the benches and across the center, the first 10/12 rows. To do that you'd have to have people move down from the upper bowl. That's what this whole attendance thread is really based on. Because it's not actually talking about seats sold, it's talking about butts in seats. In reality, butts in seats don't actually matter. What matters is the seat sold, how much ad revenue did we make on the TV broadcast, and did we collect all the student fee's.
OK Everyone, Don’t buy any lower bowl tickets anymore. Get upper bowl then come down!! Let’s go!!

Redbird60451

OK Everyone, Don’t buy any lower bowl tickets anymore. Get upper bowl then come down!! Let’s go!!
first come first served, but if the guy with the actual ticket shows up, you'd have to move. It's makes for a riveting experience, will you get to watch the game from behind the bench or will the guy who paid for the seat with the Top Hat and Monocle show up and whack you with his cane. And really, in RBA shouldn't all seats be $5, the venue sucks, it's bland and boring.

Birdfriend72

If you paid $30 for the ticket that person would be the sucker. The product on the floor at the moment isn’t worth $30. Lol

Bird Friend

If you think people watching the game on ESPN3 (all 50+ of us from RBF.net) are going to be swayed on whether or not to come to the game based on how 'full' the arena looks . . . Are you watching the game at all??

Birdfriend72

I'm spending the $30. It's closer to the exit.
I would pay $100 a ticket if they fired Muller and hired a coach like Marshall. I’m not saying it has to be Marshall. Someone that is a proven winner like Marshall. We can all argue whether he a good person or not- but his winning percentage speaks for itself. Some may think negative of Bobby Knight or Belicheat in NE.

Birdfriend72

If you think people watching the game on ESPN3 (all 50+ of us from RBF.net) are going to be swayed on whether or not to come to the game based on how 'full' the arena looks . . . Are you watching the game at all??
That’s what is preventing the other 4500 going to the game. It’s a he watching part. I will say Antonio Reeves at least gives me a reason to want to watch.

jwa123

When I posted the original question to this thread, where I was coming from is this. When does increased revenue from higher attendance begin to offset what a buyout would cost.

Redbird60451

When I posted the original question to this thread, where I was coming from is this. When does increased revenue from higher attendance begin to offset what a buyout would cost.
When the bulk of your athletic department funding comes from student fees, attendance doesn't matter. You will have to see a decrease in enrollment and it tied directly to the basketball programs sub-standard product as the cause. Which would be very hard to prove, since many kids who attend ISU don't care about athletics, they are probably there to get a degree or something.

Unless it comes out that he's done something of the Gregg with 2 G's variety or Walter McCarty episode, it's ride or die with Dan. At least the rest of this season, and maybe to the end of the contract, because unless you are getting a big donation to cover it, you'd have to get that money from the Student Fees, so what other sports will lose out on their funding? Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Softball, Baseball????

A new Coach would have to bring in around 2000 new season ticket holders ($30 ticket X 16 games x 2000 NEW season ticket holders $960,000), at least that's an estimate. That would be for a million dollar buy out. And in addition to the people already there. Conversely I think about that many season ticket holders would have to not renew next year for them to pull the plug on Dan early.

gobirds85

When the bulk of your athletic department funding comes from student fees, attendance doesn't matter. You will have to see a decrease in enrollment and it tied directly to the basketball programs sub-standard product as the cause. Which would be very hard to prove, since many kids who attend ISU don't care about athletics, they are probably there to get a degree or something.

Unless it comes out that he's done something of the Gregg with 2 G's variety or Walter McCarty episode, it's ride or die with Dan. At least the rest of this season, and maybe to the end of the contract, because unless you are getting a big donation to cover it, you'd have to get that money from the Student Fees, so what other sports will lose out on their funding? Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Softball, Baseball????

A new Coach would have to bring in around 2000 new season ticket holders ($30 ticket X 16 games x 2000 NEW season ticket holders $960,000), at least that's an estimate. That would be for a million dollar buy out. And in addition to the people already there. Conversely I think about that many season ticket holders would have to not renew next year for them to pull the plug on Dan early.

Great post and some great points made. Does anyone know what the last few years of season ticket holders look like? Are we up, holding steady or dropping off?

Top Bottom