Average Attendance

jwa123

I guess it goes without saying attendance at this years games will be significantly up over last year. What will the average attendance be like this year? What do you think?

Phantom

It will depend on a lot on how we play, as usual. But I'll guess about 4250. High mark is 8K for Bradley. Low is 3K for UTSA.

150 students (not including the band) show up to the opener. All sitting and looking at their phones. They're unimpressed with how the atmosphere is nothing like the rockin' houses they see on ESPN (even though it used to be and could easily be again if they realized it's on them do just f'ing do it), so some leave at halftime. That number dwindles to 50 for most remaining games, less on nights Illinois is playing. They actually fill their sections up for the Bradley game, but most still sit quietly and don't get into the game at all.

:p

Last edited:

gobirds85

It will depend on a lot on how we play, as usual. But I'll guess about 4250. High mark is 8K for Bradley. Low is 3K for UTSA.

150 students (not including the band) show up to the opener. All sitting and looking at their phones. They're unimpressed with how the atmosphere is nothing like the rockin' houses they see on ESPN (even though it used to be and could easily be again if they realized it's on them do just f'ing do it), so some leave at halftime. That number dwindles to 50 for most remaining games, less on nights Illinois is playing. They actually fill their sections up for the Bradley game, but most still sit quietly and don't get into the game at all.

The university needs to give stuff away...pizza, cheap 3.3 oz. shirts, anything to drive the students RA and try to build some excitement and energy.

Last edited:

Redbird60451

I think for the most part you are right. You have to create some 'Tik Tok' moments, is what I'll call them. So maybe Reggie dumps a big bag of popcorn on some old guy sitting there. Kids love ripping on boomers. Maybe plant a guy to fall down the stairs holding some pop and hot dogs. But get it on the board. Everyone loves watching other people's fails. Maybe set up some of those jousting things from American Gladiators and have the kids up there on a time out beating each other, or go against an adult and give away something if the student wins or the rest of the crowd if the non-student wins.

I don't blame any of them for being on their phones now, I'm on mine just the same. And if the game is not keeping my interest, or the things when there's no action from the game, why be there? Most of them don't care who wins or loses anyway, they didn't grow up following this school. This was the school that they could get into based upon the grades they did or didn't get in High School. For True college sports fans, is ISU really the school they were following while watching basketball or football? Doubt it. Crap the Freshman and Sophomores and now Juniors weren't even alive the last time we made the Tournament.

All sports are consumed differently by this generation too, and it's because we have video and 1000 different angles on almost every play, and it's almost instantly. You didn't have it as much when I was there over 20 years ago, you had to go to see the game to see the 'moments'. But now with TV access to almost every game out there, why would I waste my time being there? I see the game better on TV, then when I'm there live. I have replays, I have pause and rewind. It's a more enjoyable experience.

Phantom

It's just like any other year really. Call it fair weather, but when we're winning and/or play exciting basketball, and there's some hype on campus and around town, attendance goes up. Students start to care (and then actually stand and cheer at games, Good team or bad, a sitting student section always gets me batshit pissed) and RA has good atmosphere and becomes a tough place to play. In down years, it's not.

Dmills

Red Alert needs to step it up IMO. They have some good promos this season for students, but like some have mentioned it isn't just about getting students to the games. We need an active, rowdy student section at least for the UNC-Wilmington, Murray State, and Missouri State games this semester. The chant leaders or whatever they are called need to get everyone on their feet. The experience is more enjoyable for everyone and those looking for a good student section atmosphere will have a reason to come. A lot of students are more interested in going to Champaign for a game either sneaking into the student section or just being in the crowd. I have to admit, basketball is much more enjoyable in a packed house.

Dmills

I did some research and for the first 16 years of basketball at Redbird Arena, the average attendance for home openers was 7,456. For the most recent 16 years at Redbird Arena, the average attendance for home openers is 4,451.

gobirds85

I did some research and for the first 16 years of basketball at Redbird Arena, the average attendance for home openers was 7,456. For the most recent 16 years at Redbird Arena, the average attendance for home openers is 4,451.

One has to wonder if there is a direct correlation here factoring in the expectations of the fan base or just a sign of the times.

Dmills

One has to wonder if there is a direct correlation here factoring in the expectations of the fan base or just a sign of the times.
Although Illinois State basketball hasn't been as successful as we would all like, I believe it is mainly a sign of the times. In the 1990-91 season, the average attendance was 8,712. The team started that season with 12 straight losses and finished the season 5-23. I don't know if we will ever be able to consistently fill up Redbird Arena again, but I sure hope so.

Phantom

It's a bit of both. The Moser years were up and down, but students were pretty good for the most part. Then during Jankovich's tenure, it was crazy good. Not only were we winning, but we had some legit star power on the roster (Eldridge, Oguchi, Odiakosa, etc.) and it was the talk of the campus. You couldn't walk to class without hearing people talking about going to the game that night or that weekend. The student sections were packed, often to the roof, for most games. And standing, and rowdy, and it was awesome. We had 3 sellouts during Jank's second year (including one over Xmas break which had never happened before), and we averaged about 8800 during conference games. It was pretty wild.

So a lot of it has to do with other entertainment options and technology...but most of it has to do with winning, creating a buzz on campus (not just free pizza), and allowing students to be students. That's what makes the atmosphere. They simply have to want to do it.

Dmills

The good news is, there are at least 2 games where you can be a "student for a game." The games specifically mentioned are Ball State and Loyola (not sure about UTSA?). So you all can buy your $10 tickets and show us what a real student section looks like 😉

Phantom

The good news is, there are at least 2 games where you can be a "student for a game." The games specifically mentioned are Ball State and Loyola (not sure about UTSA?). So you all can buy your $10 tickets and show us what a real student section looks like 😉

I had that idea about 10 years ago. Have a game or two during Xmas break with an alumni pep band, cheerleaders, dance team and student section. Mandatory gathering at the Pub 3 hours before gametime to properly fuel up :cool:

J0K3R2

I had that idea about 10 years ago. Have a game or two during Xmas break with an alumni pep band, cheerleaders, dance team and student section. Mandatory gathering at the Pub 3 hours before gametime to properly fuel up :cool:
For what it’s worth, the pep band over winter break is open to alums as well as students, or at least it was before COVID. There’s a new pep band director now so it remains to be seen how that’ll play out but I’ll be there if they let me, just like I have been for most of the break games for the past four years.

Dmills

What is the capacity for Redbird Arena nowadays? It used to be 10,200 which is all over the internet still. The renovation in 2019 decreased the seating by "at least several hundred" according to Lyons in Pantagraph article.

TBS_20

What is the capacity for Redbird Arena nowadays? It used to be 10,200 which is all over the internet still. The renovation in 2019 decreased the seating by "at least several hundred" according to Lyons in Pantagraph article.
I believe around 9.6

Bigpapa813

Are they still having two student sections? Seems like when they split them up you lost a lot compared to having one section

Top Bottom