Youngstown St. - (Be Like Bouman)

Total Red

Staff member
The meat of the season is upon us. YSU, UNI and Mo. St., all figure to be close games. We might as well take the toughest one first and I'd say that the trip to Stambaugh stadium (aka The Ice Palace, Home of the Penguins) will be the most difficult.

YSU has scored on everybody this side of Ohio St. They may not be SDSU on offense but they're close. We'll probably need 30 points or more to win.

The YSU defense has been spotty but their claim to fame is the 31-3 smackdown of the Salukis. SIU QB Nic Baker is both accurate and quick on his feet but somehow YSU held him to 12-27 passing with 7 sacks. When I saw that score I thought we were toast.

But then South Dakota showed how it's done. USD QB Aiden Bouman completed 24 of 29 for 369 yards with 0 sacks. If you can protect the QB then you have a chance to beat YSU so this is a big week for the O-Line. Bouman is a lot like Annexstad. Both come from Minnesota, and both are FBS transfers. Bouman came to USD from Iowa St. So that's what we're asking from Zack this week. Be Like your fellow Minny homeboy. 83% passing 369 yards 0 sacks, 3 TD's passing. That's not asking too much is it? We'll make it easy for him. We'll take "leading rusher" off his plate.

MadBird

The meat of the season is upon us. YSU, UNI and Mo. St., all figure to be close games. We might as well take the toughest one first and I'd say that the trip to Stambaugh stadium (aka The Ice Palace, Home of the Penguins) will be the most difficult.

YSU has scored on everybody this side of Ohio St. They may not be SDSU on offense but they're close. We'll probably need 30 points or more to win.

The YSU defense has been spotty but their claim to fame is the 31-3 smackdown of the Salukis. SIU QB Nic Baker is both accurate and quick on his feet but somehow YSU held him to 12-27 passing with 7 sacks. When I saw that score I thought we were toast.

But then South Dakota showed how it's done. USD QB Aiden Bouman completed 24 of 29 for 369 yards with 0 sacks. If you can protect the QB then you have a chance to beat YSU so this is a big week for the O-Line. Bouman is a lot like Annexstad. Both come from Minnesota, and both are FBS transfers. Bouman came to USD from Iowa St. So that's what we're asking from Zack this week. Be Like your fellow Minny homeboy. 83% passing 369 yards 0 sacks, 3 TD's passing. That's not asking too much is it? We'll make it easy for him. We'll take "leading rusher" off his plate.
As an aside, Bouman's daddy was quite the QB too, DII St. Cloud State, then over 10 years in the NFL. Not a star by any stretch, but was doing something right. Coached the kid in HS too.

Virginia Redbird

All the games are important of course but this one seems like a critical one to me. The Redbirds lost at home to YSU last year 19-17. They did not play in 2021 or 2020. In 2019 the Redbirds lost to YSU at their house, 21-3. That 2019 game was a dismal event with a really bad performance by the Redbirds and also a start for Freshman QB Jack Baltz. I am pretty sure that game ended Baltz's ISU career. Was that game really that long ago? The Birds have not played well against the Penguins and I think they need to turn that around to improve their standing. It feels to me like this one is the pivotal one at this point. Beat YSU and they are in really good shape to make a run. Lose this game and I think they struggle against UNI and MSU and most likely there goes a possible playoff berth. Hopefully Spack has them ready to play! They need to beat these guys!

fourthandshort

This one is huge for our momentum and ranking/playoff chances. Otherwise, we have to wait until last game to beat someone good .. UND, also on road. But we may be out of playoff picture by then, if we lose YSU game. Have a chance to prove ourselves against UNI .. but they've fallen short this season and are currently out of the playoff picture. And it will be hard to get noticed beating MoST and MuST, combined with 4 other weak games (3-1 record) we started season with. Before we then play at UND the last week.

We sure got a lucky rotation this year .. no NDSU, SIU, or USD .. though USD is performing much better than anyone thought. And NDSU has slipped, though still very good.

Our playoff hopes/season isnt over if we lose a tough/close game to YSU ... but it certainly will hurt our chances. I don't think we're in at 7-4, unless everything falls our way, and we have quality wins and losses rest of way. Nothing I would bet on.

So this is as close to a must win game as it gets. But 8-3 still gets us a bid, especially since we would be 6-2 in MVFC. But waiting to play/beat UND on road in last game .. eh, let's try to avoid doing it this way.

Virginia Redbird

Our playoff hopes/season isnt over if we lose a tough/close game to YSU ... but it certainly will hurt our chances. I don't think we're in at 7-4, unless everything falls our way, and we have quality wins and losses rest of way. Nothing I would bet on.

So this is as close to a must win game as it gets. But 8-3 still gets us a bid, especially since we would be 6-2 in MVFC. But waiting to play/beat UND on road in last game .. eh, let's try to avoid doing it this way.
They control their own destiny. I think they can afford one more loss to a good team. I would not want to put cash money on the possibility of a playoff bid at 7-4. Yep, lets try to avoid that!

crazzymark

If they stick to the run game, ISU will win as long as Coach Spack lets the offense win the game. Not sit on the ball and hopes the D makes another stop😳I did hear that there will be a good showing of fans at the game. 👍 Has to be a bigger crowd than season ticket holders that showed up for homecoming for sure☝️😀👍

Last edited:

TIMMY

So, I watched the YSU defense against the SIU offense because I could. YSU had a nice game plan. YSU runs a 4-3. They sent a bunch of pressure at Baker, and it work. Mostly A gap pressure. Their ends did a real nice job of not letting him out of the pocket and the inside stuff gobbled him up. They also locked up well against the SIU receivers. I don't know why they would do anything different against us. Crazy is right about 1 thing. We need to run the hell out of the ball. This is a big game for our O-line.

MadBird

So, I watched the YSU defense against the SIU offense because I could. YSU had a nice game plan. YSU runs a 4-3. They sent a bunch of pressure at Baker, and it work. Mostly A gap pressure. Their ends did a real nice job of not letting him out of the pocket and the inside stuff gobbled him up. They also locked up well against the SIU receivers. I don't know why they would do anything different against us. Crazy is right about 1 thing. We need to run the hell out of the ball. This is a big game for our O-line.
ISU is #2 in FCS in sacks this week, with 24 or 4 per game. YSU is tied for 6th, with 19/3.17 per game. So, yes, they bring it and we'll need to deal with it.

Couple other quick stat comparisons. YSU gives up 25.7 ppg, ISU gives up 16. Birds are now giving up 116.8 rushing yards per game (not as stingy as earlier, now #26 in FCS) but YSU only giving up 80.8 - #5 in FCS (SIU is #1 giving up only 69). YSU gives up 248.8 passing yards per game.

So rushing against them will take "rushing the hell out of the ball" - they don't give up rushing yards easily. BUT, they do give up passing yardage. So, you know, figger out what's working and keep working it.

fourthandshort

nice scouting report, Timmy !!

If their defensive game plan is similar against us, we do have one big advantage ... SIU QB Baker is just 5'9". Annexstad is 6'3". If YSU front 7 did a great job containing and getting to Baker .. 7 sacks is incredible for a team, unless your name is Zeke Vandenburg. then it's just another Saturday. but they will know from our SDSU game that we will take the short pass all game if needed.

Noting, YSU is only averaging 2 sacks per game in their other 5 games, but got 7 against SIU. SIU was only giving up 1.5 sacks per game before the 7 against YSU ... so might have been great game plan combined with some injuries. But this game was an outlier for both teams.

Whatever happened .. our 6'3" guy should have much easier time in pocket seeing the field under pressure like that. But yes, our OL needs to be ready. And our receivers have to be crisp in their routes/reads, and create some separation.

That said, our TE Grandy should have a big game if they come after Annexstad hard ... and that should eventually slow them down. Grandy is up to 31 catches in 6 games. Also need our RBs and H backs to be ready for dump passes. And Annexstad has proven to be a very solid runner when needed.

But 5'9" Baker likely struggled to see field under that kind of pressure and likely explains the unexpected blowout by YSU over SIU. Planets aligned for YSUI defense/game plan and it clearly worked. In addition to 7 Sacks, plus 2 more TFLs, 5 break ups, 4 hurries, 1 pick. Baker dropped back 34 times, but only attempted 27 passes and completed 12. And clearly had him rattled. Good film session opportunity for us.

p.s. their offense is pretty good and diverse running and passing. Not as prolific/great as SDSU, but just as diverse. Our defense will be getting great test.

fourthandshort

impressive .. hope he is nearing 100% healthy soon. We could really use him out there against YSU tomorrow.

fourthandshort

nice scouting report, Timmy !!

If their defensive game plan is similar against us, we do have one big advantage ... SIU QB Baker is just 5'9". Annexstad is 6'3". If YSU front 7 did a great job containing and getting to Baker .. 7 sacks is incredible for a team, unless your name is Zeke Vandenburg. then it's just another Saturday. but they will know from our SDSU game that we will take the short pass all game if needed.

Noting, YSU is only averaging 2 sacks per game in their other 5 games, but got 7 against SIU. SIU was only giving up 1.5 sacks per game before the 7 against YSU ... so might have been great game plan combined with some injuries. But this game was an outlier for both teams.

Whatever happened .. our 6'3" guy should have much easier time in pocket seeing the field under pressure like that. But yes, our OL needs to be ready. And our receivers have to be crisp in their routes/reads, and create some separation.

That said, our TE Grandy should have a big game if they come after Annexstad hard ... and that should eventually slow them down. Grandy is up to 31 catches in 6 games. Also need our RBs and H backs to be ready for dump passes. And Annexstad has proven to be a very solid runner when needed.

But 5'9" Baker likely struggled to see field under that kind of pressure and likely explains the unexpected blowout by YSU over SIU. Planets aligned for YSUI defense/game plan and it clearly worked. In addition to 7 Sacks, plus 2 more TFLs, 5 break ups, 4 hurries, 1 pick. Baker dropped back 34 times, but only attempted 27 passes and completed 12. And clearly had him rattled. Good film session opportunity for us.

p.s. their offense is pretty good and diverse running and passing. Not as prolific/great as SDSU, but just as diverse. Our defense will be getting great test.
I posed your observation about the defense to YSU fan on AGS and asked why they thought the pass rush was so effective. He said SIU OL was not very big. I looked at the starters on roster .. Center is 267, one guard was just 285, the other 3 with ok size between 300 and 325.

Did it look like they overpowered them ? We're not as small on low end at the Center and Guard position. But all our guys run 290 to 300 .. we're not nearly as big as we used to be. That coulld be intentional .. I dunno ??

Top Bottom