WOAH!

TreRoberson4Heisman

Big time get. Welcome sunshine! Is Kolbe going to feel the noise during camp? https://247sports.com/Player/Brady-Davis-40054

TreRoberson4Heisman

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
Big time get. Welcome sunshine! Is Kolbe going to feel the noise during camp? https://247sports.com/Player/Brady-Davis-40054

https://twitter.com/bradydavis10/status/1003794056621719552?s=21

Redbirdfan21

He was recruited by Fuente to Memphis. I wonder if that played a roll in him coming here. Speaking of, I got a chance to talk to Coach Fue for 20 mins or so on Saturday. His brother in law married one of my good friends. I worked under him at ISU when he was OC and I was an EQ manager (Drone and L-Rob years). What a good dude. The promotions have not gone to his head. Talked to me just like he did 15 years ago. He was one of the few genuinely nice coaches that we worked under. He asked about new Hancock and if I was still following the team closely. Said he’d heard good things about Spack and says he stills tries to keep an eye on how ISU is doing. Was nice catching up

ISUBU

Six QBs on the roster this fall barring changes. Gotta imagine there may be a position change or transfer in there somewhere.

Brady Davis almost never played at Memphis. Memphis lists 2015 as his freshman year and as a redshirt, but they also give him one game appearance. I don't really understand that.

2016 lost to injury.

2017 Appeared in one game, rushing for one yard.

This is a puzzling transfer to me.

Adunk33

Staff member
ISUBU said:
Six QBs on the roster this fall barring changes. Gotta imagine there may be a position change or transfer in there somewhere.

Brady Davis almost never played at Memphis. Memphis lists 2015 as his freshman year and as a redshirt, but they also give him one game appearance. I don't really understand that.

2016 lost to injury.

This was my thought. Appears he was highly regarded out of HS and then got injured, and was never able to get over the hump of the 3rd string. I don't know, I've liked what I've seen out of Malachi, and Hatfield if Kolbe is the starter. I remember when Hatfield was recruited, Spack wanted to make him a safety. Then you have Smith, who has some game experience that you can't look past. You know what they say, if you think you have 6 QBs, you probably don't have one.

Sanantoniobird

From the limited info available, I don’t see him head-and-shoulders over anyone we currently have (out of Kolbe, Brodnax, Hatfield, or Smith).

RBFANTOO

Sanantoniobird said:
From the limited info available, I don’t see him head-and-shoulders over anyone we currently have (out of Kolbe, Brodnax, Hatfield, or Smith).
I have all the confidence possible that Coach Beathard will correctly evaluate the talent and make the right decision. In Beathard I trust.

TIMMY

RBFANTOO said:
Sanantoniobird said:
I have all the confidence possible that Coach Beathard will correctly evaluate the talent and make the right decision. In Beathard I trust.
That's a great call. Beathard will always do what's best for the team. Now I'm not sayin this kid is better than anyone on the roster. No one should. We have no clue until we see him play. But I distinctly remember some saying Winkler was better than Roberson. :eek: I can't wait to see this play out. Timmy might have to play his coaches card and check it out first hand. Love it!

Sanantoniobird

Adunk33 said:
ISUBU said:

2016 lost to injury.

...I remember when Hatfield was recruited, Spack wanted to make him a safety. Then you have Smith, who has some game experience that you can't look past. You know what they say, if you think you have 6 QBs, you probably don't have one.
This.
QB situation seems a little worrisome. I certainly hope OC makes the right decision. I still am feeling that Kolbe isn’t bad, just not the answer. Maybe it will play out different. I am a little partial to Smith, and I have no inside info, but IMO he had a little of what both Kolbe and Brodnax bring (when he played so long ago). Can we harness/develop that? I realize JK was victim to the OL/WR lack of experience, just seemed at times we needed someone to be some kind of threat, last year.

Total Red

Staff member
Adunk33 said:
ISUBU said:

2016 lost to injury.

This was my thought. Appears he was highly regarded out of HS and then got injured, and was never able to get over the hump of the 3rd string. I don't know, I've liked what I've seen out of Malachi, and Hatfield if Kolbe is the starter. I remember when Hatfield was recruited, Spack wanted to make him a safety. Then you have Smith, who has some game experience that you can't look past. You know what they say, if you think you have 6 QBs, you probably don't have one.

Great addition. I don't think you can have too much talent, especially at the QB position so I like where we're at. Just look at the Philly Eagles this past season. They had the NFL's hot young QB in Carson Wentz but when he went down they had to have another quality QB (Nick Foles) to win the Super Bowl. I like depth and competition. It's good for the team and btw I don't see Hatfield being moved from QB.

It's interesting that we've added a FBS transfer to the OL- Megginson, DL - McKnight and QB - Davis. I thought we were in great shape with our OL returnees and then both Rients and Mikkelson had injuries during the spring and Megginson went from being a luxury to a necessity in a hurry. Can't Have Too Much Depth. I thought we were in fairly good shape on the DL but Coach Spack overruled me and said we needed Mcknight. And I was happy with our QB situation but I'm happier with Davis on board. I do think Beathard was invovled. Again, we saw what he can do with a dual-threat QB (Roberson) but going back through his career Beathard has worked with a lot of pro-style QB's like Davis.

After the spring there was one position where I thought we needed immediate FBS help - WR. So far there hasn't been a transfer announced. I hope the Indiana Univ. transfer is still in the works.

Total Red

Staff member
TIMMY said:
That's a great call. Beathard will always do what's best for the team. Now I'm not sayin this kid is better than anyone on the roster. No one should. We have no clue until we see him play. But I distinctly remember some saying Winkler was better than Roberson. :eek:

I'd be interested in his exact words. Did he say Winkler was better or just ahead at that time?
When Roberson arrived Winkler had the experience advantage as the returning starter and he knew the receivers. He did look better early on especially in the passing game. Even so we knew that Roberson had special skills running with the ball and those couldn't be fully evaluated in practice because we didn't want him tackled. They became very apparent later on. :D

Total Red

Staff member
My bad Timmy, I misread your post. I thought you had said that Beathard said Winkler was better than Roberson rather than "some saying".

Reggie Redbird

I wonder if this move is to give Kolbe more competition from the throwing aspect. Broadnax appeared to be able to run and could still see wildcat packages if he is not deemed the starter. However, if Kolbe is the starter and becomes injured again, we do not have someone who has shown they can really manage the game under center in passing. With Davis' pro style background, he can also mix it in with the certainly powerful running game we'll have.

I don't think he's planning on coming here without assurances he will be given an opportunity to compete for the job. However, Davis, like others, would have to earn it. He certainly isn't Tre Roberson who comes in with a lot of FBS starting experience and good games to point to from his prior stop.

fourthandshort

love that there will be more competition ... but if I had to guess, this might also free up Hatfield or Broadnax for a position change. Spack had originally planned on Hatfield moving into secondary. And I don't yet see Broadnax as full time QB .. but offseason may have been good for him and maybe he has more to contribute than he showed in SDSU game passing-wise. He played well for a RS FR getting thrust into starting roll in a huge game .. but you have to be a throwing threat to be an effective dual threat QB.

Don't know what to make of this transfer .. guessing he has some talent, but may have lost confidence from sitting and the injury. Like others, I have fully trust Beathard to figure this out. Our run game will take a lot of pressure of whoever is at QB .. defenses will have to stay in the box, safeties will have to provide more run support ... going to be a very interesting season on offense.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
TIMMY said:
That's a great call. Beathard will always do what's best for the team. Now I'm not sayin this kid is better than anyone on the roster. No one should. We have no clue until we see him play. But I distinctly remember some saying Winkler was better than Roberson. :eek:

I'd be interested in his exact words. Did he say Winkler was better or just ahead at that time?
When Roberson arrived Winkler had the experience advantage as the returning starter and he knew the receivers. He did look better early on especially in the passing game. Even so we knew that Roberson had special skills running with the ball and those couldn't be fully evaluated in practice because we didn't want him tackled. They became very apparent later on. :D

my recollection of 2014 spring ball was that Winkler, under new OC Beathard, was really lighting it up again like he did earlier in 2013 regular season. Then Roberson transferred early summer, but broke his something in his throwing hand/arm and missed most of the summer OTAs. But he was almost 100% ready by August camp .. though it took Roberson util last week of camp to take the job from Winkler ... they were sharing reps 50/50 and taking turns going first.

To those who speculated that Beathard has only proven he can win with a true dual threat Roberson, may not recall how well Winkler was playing (since spring ball) before Roberson finally won the job the last week of summer. This again is why I like Kolbe's chances to have a bounce back season .. that and the law firm of Robinson & Smith & Birch are about make strong case for best RB group in FCS.

Virginia Redbird

Competition is a good thing! Welcome to the new QB and the best of luck to all of the QBs on the roster. I am certain you will all get a fair shot at the starting job even though Kolbe has a leg up with two years as the starter behind him. The coaching staff will pick the player that gives the team the best chance to win and that is as it should be. Unfortunate for Kolbe that his first two seasons were with an offensive coaching staff that did not do much to develop the talent they had and arguably were awful game day coaches. Davis is walking into a situation where it appears the OLine will be solid and get the benefit of a very experienced and successful O Coordinator. Timing is everything but it should push Kolbe to get the best out of him too. Go Redbirds!

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
love that there will be more competition ... but if I had to guess, this might also free up Hatfield or Broadnax for a position change. Spack had originally planned on Hatfield moving into secondary. And I don't yet see Broadnax as full time QB .. but offseason may have been good for him and maybe he has more to contribute than he showed in SDSU game passing-wise. He played well for a RS FR getting thrust into starting roll in a huge game .. but you have to be a throwing threat to be an effective dual threat QB.

Don't know what to make of this transfer .. guessing he has some talent, but may have lost confidence from sitting and the injury. Like others, I have fully trust Beathard to figure this out. Our run game will take a lot of pressure of whoever is at QB .. defenses will have to stay in the box, safeties will have to provide more run support ... going to be a very interesting season on offense.

Agree 100%.

Top Bottom