WJBC

Sanantoniobird

It's a shame that WJBC doesn't move into doing podcasts. For people who don't live in the area (or country in my case) would like to hear some news about whats going on with ISU sports--and as the Home of ISU Redbirds, they leave me wanting.
I actually 'spot' listen to "Sports Daily" out of somewhere near Wichita State. Though, I have to listen about what's going on with WSU, at least they mention us, so I can get little bit of ISU news.
Come on WJBC, I thought with the partnership with Learfield, we'd get more of the ISU talk on our own station.

RedbirdSoxFan

Sanantoniobird said:
It's a shame that WJBC doesn't move into doing podcasts. For people who don't live in the area (or country in my case) would like to hear some news about whats going on with ISU sports--and as the Home of ISU Redbirds, they leave me wanting.
I actually 'spot' listen to "Sports Daily" out of somewhere near Wichita State. Though, I have to listen about what's going on with WSU, at least they mention us, so I can get little bit of ISU news.
Come on WJBC, I thought with the partnership with Learfield, we'd get more of the ISU talk on our own station.

I listen to the games on my phone with WJBC on the radioPup app

MPE773

Sanantoniobird said:

Preach! It's 2017, they need to evolve.

Sanantoniobird

I know they have lots of resources for live content. I'm an expert having not lived in Illinois since 2002. I want to be able to go to "WJBC Sports" podcast and hear about what's going on with ISU sports--without all the other news, political , etc. jibber jabber.
Their last podcast was August 15, and it was the Volleyball coach. Yes I listened because I was hoping they may hint to the upcoming football season as well; that no one would know about based off this kind of coverage.
You wanna blame someone for poor coverage/promotion of ISU sports? Start with the media. If you search for Bison or Shockers, there is at least 3 dedicated podcasts for each. Just venting a little.

Source

I have not been shy about my disdain for local media coverage. JBC's unwillingness to change is ultimately what is going to do them in to become mostly syndicated. There has been a lot of management changes over the last few years and during that time you can see a clear shift from more sports related content to news. For example, 3 or 4 years ago there was a sports show on in the evenings that would lead in to Cardinals baseball. They would talk ISU, high school sports, and pro level. They would take calls and it seemed they engaged well with the listeners. WJBC did not do anything to promote it, and it was taken off the air about a year ago.

At the same time, regarding their local news coverage: their news room is down reporters at well. If you go to WJBC.com and look at their articles you will see most are done by 3 staff reporters and then they post stories written by WMBD or press releases. You will not see a story from WJBC unless a press release is out first, or say, the mayor is on the morning show and says something of substance (rarely).

WJBC does not have any official podcasts. What they do is record all the interviews they have on the station and put them online. So the Volleyball interview was probably from last week's hog roast or volleyball media day.

You're very right regarding Wichita and North Dakota State podcasts. They have fans/great audio coverage of their programs. Just the other day I listened to a Bizon podcast because the host was interviewing our DB Devonte Harris.

I definitely think there is a market for a podcast because outside of Game Days and 1 coaches show every other week or whatever they do, the coverage isn't there. I know there are some younger guys on this board with the means to start up a podcast about our Birds. Get after it!

Rant over.

ThisIsTheLineup

I hope you all know that the ISU student radio station 103.3 WZND has amazing ISU coverage, including the Red Zone podcast (which also covers local and professional sports).

http://wznd.com/news/

EDIT: And as much as we live Dick and the gang - their live broadcasts are good too...check them out sometime!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
ThisIsTheLineup said:
I hope you all know that the ISU radio station 103.3 WZND has amazing ISU coverage, including the Red Zone podcast (which also covers local and professional sports).

:text-+1: They also broadcast all home games in all the sports with student announcers. Give them a listen.

Oh and your kids might like their music, it's mostly popular stuff. I listen to it in town on a semi-regular basis.

ThisIsTheLineup

isuquinndog said:
ThisIsTheLineup said:
I hope you all know that the ISU radio station 103.3 WZND has amazing ISU coverage, including the Red Zone podcast (which also covers local and professional sports).

:text-+1: They also broadcast all home games in all the sports with student announcers. Give them a listen.

Oh and your kids might like their music, it's mostly popular stuff. I listen to it in town on a semi-regular basis.

Yeah I meant to put that in earlier. They do a phenomenal job!

Source

Thank you for mentioned WZND. I completely forgot to mention them. They had Muller on towards the beginning of the summer and that was the best interview with Muller I have heard. Muller was honest about everything, volunteering the Hawkins information about BC. Muller even mentioned the only job hid name was tied legitimately was Dayton, there was mutual interest but he didn't get an offer. He said even if he did get an offer he didn't know if he would take it. They had Jake Kolbe on the following week.

The Red zone is a good program, however it just got moved up from 30 min to one hour, once a week. It could benefit being longer/more often.

Sanantoniobird

ThisIsTheLineup said:
I hope you all know that the ISU student radio station 103.3 WZND has amazing ISU coverage, including the Red Zone podcast (which also covers local and professional sports).

EDIT: And as much as we live Dick and the gang - their live broadcasts are good too...check them out sometime!
No, I did not know about this! Thank you for the info, I'll check it out now on the drive home. This was what I was hoping someone would lead me to after my "giving the finger" to 'JBC rant.

Hamdonger

Love the ISU radio mention. But it's a bit like our recent graduate from The Vidette. You really have to hustle. But it pays off! (There should ALWAYS be a spot on media row for ZND broadcasts.)

As far as local media coverage, some of that falls on ISU athletics media relations. It's a give-and-take relationship, and you can't just expect the media to come to you.

Hamdonger

Also, with Learfield on board, I'd be surprised if a podcast or something didn't pop up at some point.

Total Red

Staff member
https://audioboom.com/posts/6204735-brock-spack-isu-football-coach-7-14-17

Nice interview W/HC Brock Spack prior to the Fun Fair Scrimmage. I think the date is a mistake and the interview took place this month.

MPE773

ThisIsTheLineup said:

Oh, we know. :clap:

crazzymark

I have a friend(father of one of my athletes)that works for Learfield. We chatted last weekend when he was in town, he was excited about the ISU partnership and said that big things are heading ISU's way....just takes time to get all the moving parts together and ready to run. He works with schools in Georgia but went to ISU to help with working out the details.

Sanantoniobird

Total Red said:
https://audioboom.com/posts/6204735-brock-spack-isu-football-coach-7-14-17

Nice interview W/HC Brock Spack prior to the Fun Fair Scrimmage. I think the date is a mistake and the interview took place this month.
Thanks, 'Red. I missed this, too. I've noticed that they have done this a couple of times (wrong dates). It ends up filtering down the list and not at the top where I'm looking.

Virginia Redbird

ThisIsTheLineup said:

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the student radio link. Much appreciated. Trying to get Redbirds news when you are on the East Coast is a challenge at times! :text-+1:

fourthandshort

crazzymark said:
I have a friend(father of one of my athletes)that works for Learfield. We chatted last weekend when he was in town, he was excited about the ISU partnership and said that big things are heading ISU's way....just takes time to get all the moving parts together and ready to run. He works with schools in Georgia but went to ISU to help with working out the details.

good info .. hope you can share more iinsights on this front.

p.s. possibly your best conribution ever on this board :text-+1:

Top Bottom